House Price Crash Forum

Working from home dies a death - remote switches to hybrid... lots of people in trouble because of unworkable commutes

HOLA441
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Appreciate the WiFi issue….I guess my point was slightly different and related to moving out of work hub spaces to distant commute places. London probably the biggy and was the example quoted.  

If you run a team of 10 people, have 25m customers and the standing order facility crashes on the accounts, and the media get involved, and a director asks whether you can urgently come into the office (and it’s 3pm)….then the expectation is you go. Very rare, but between 8 and 6 you were working…nothing else. 

So I still believe WFH is the future because of the savings for business. We closed many London offices and many over the country. 

However, WFH is not to be mistaken for a utopia of long summer dog walks and visits to the gym during office hours. Our set up was you were ‘in the office’ but physically sat at home. Calls were throughout the day and if your phone rang you answered (or txt them what call you were on, so they could interrupt if need be). 

Edited by Pop321

HOLA445
HOLA446
3 hours ago, Pop321 said:

However, WFH is not to be mistaken for a utopia of long summer dog walks and visits to the gym during office hours. Our set up was you were ‘in the office’ but physically sat at home. Calls were throughout the day and if your phone rang you answered (or txt them what call you were on, so they could interrupt if need be). 

Did people ever forward their phone to their mobile and go the gym anyway?

HOLA447

Google employees in the US who opt to work from home permanently may get a pay cut.

The technology giant has developed a pay calculator that lets employees see the effects of working remotely or moving offices.

Some remote employees, especially those with a long commute, could have their pay cut without changing address.

Google has no plans at this time to implement the policy in the UK.

Google may cut pay of staff who work from home - BBC News

HOLA448
4 hours ago, Si1 said:

Did people ever forward their phone to their mobile and go the gym anyway?

The nature of the calls required 98% focus. So not really. We were a team of workers who needed to be present…I guess like a support role with expectation of response either immediately or with 5 minutes or so  

I guess the ‘admin’ and ‘data processing’ jobs which don’t require ongoing contact are the challenge because that requires real trust from those middle management losers. 

HOLA449

Covid fuelling 'them and us' culture in workplace: How pandemic is leading to 'two-tier' system between staff in the office and those risking pay and 'opportunities' by continuing to WFH

Employment experts warn of growing divide between remote and office workers

There are fears of large benefits for people who decide to return to the office

Comes as Google employees in US accepted a pay cut to continue home working

Similar steps in the UK could widen the gender pay gap and impact the disabled 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9886661/Pandemic-leading-two-tier-staff-office-continuing-WFH.html

HOLA4410
1 hour ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Covid fuelling 'them and us' culture in workplace: How pandemic is leading to 'two-tier' system between staff in the office and those risking pay and 'opportunities' by continuing to WFH

Employment experts warn of growing divide between remote and office workers

There are fears of large benefits for people who decide to return to the office

Comes as Google employees in US accepted a pay cut to continue home working

Similar steps in the UK could widen the gender pay gap and impact the disabled 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9886661/Pandemic-leading-two-tier-staff-office-continuing-WFH.html

Good spot. Thx. Article feels a bit Glass half empty.

I worked from home, massive advocate and gave a more than very solid performance each year with accolades and rewards. Big job with ad hoc visits to sites and London…not 9 to 5 or mooching around in PJs eating toast  

But I knew if I wanted the next step (from a senior manager to junior director) then I would need to rub shoulders face to face with the right people and impress them more. I wouldn’t expect anything less….it’s fairly basic principles on how to get on. 

However, if they made the next step and asked to reduce my pay I would have negotiated a higher package ie 10% then let them take off 5% because I work from home. My salary over the last 5 years increased dramatically purely due to contribution and work design changing  

If you have an average job, perform averagely and anomalously work from home….then they may give you a pay cut.

Gender inequality is mentioned…but that inequality is not systemic in this model it’s a preference for child carers to stay at home. This suggests all sorts about the job being done at home…you can’t child care and work in some roles. 

I think this whole subject is being seen as black and white….WFH can save the employer money and if done right can improve employee productivity and performance. I guess furlough and the enforced working from home that people have been doing isn’t quite the model I have in my mind. Probably another 5 years away before it becomes an employer driven rather than an employee driven initiative. 

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4411

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9958491/Bank-England-staff-uproar-woke-Governor-Andrew-Bailey-says-work-home-WEEK.html

The Governor of the Bank of England has put himself at odds with Chancellor Rishi Sunak by ditching a requirement for his staff to work in the office for at least one day a week.

Despite calls by Mr Sunak for people to return to traditional working patterns, Governor Andrew Bailey has told workers they will not be compelled to abandon their working from home habits.

The move has angered many City workers – including some frustrated staff at the Bank of England – who argue that they are losing dealmaking and networking opportunities, with younger workers missing out on mentoring by their more experienced colleagues.

HOLA4412

Not surprised to read the above. I mean our bins still aren't getting emptied 20 months on due to the need for them all to self isolate. If you can get away with it like the above, why wouldn't you?

The fact these guys can't even make it in 1 day per week shows how hard they're working. Doesn't someone need to look after the money printer? 

Edited by cbathpc
additional snark

HOLA4413
On 10/08/2021 at 10:30, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

More daily garbage:

Why, as a leading boss, I think people should be paid less to work from home: As No.10 slaps down minister who suggested it, Dragons' Den panellist TOUKER SULEYMAN gives his verdict

I was delighted to hear yesterday that a Cabinet minister is arguing that people who have returned to work should be paid more than those who prefer to work from home.

When there’s a problem in one of my fashion retail businesses, I want to speak in person to the man or woman on my team who can put it right.

I do not want to schedule four Zoom calls, so we can all lean back in our ergonomically correct chairs and talk as though we are on autopilot.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-9878141/Why-leading-boss-think-people-paid-work-home-TOUKER-SULEYMAN.html

He doesn't need to schedule 4 zoom calls. Just give his staff a work mobile and he can ring them whenever he wants during their working hours. Instant response. Or if we wants to join the 21st century he can use Skype or Slack chat (what we do), though this only works for desk based jobs (but presumably WFH means you are at a desk!).

HOLA4414
36 minutes ago, MancTom said:

He doesn't need to schedule 4 zoom calls. Just give his staff a work mobile and he can ring them whenever he wants during their working hours. Instant response. Or if we wants to join the 21st century he can use Skype or Slack chat (what we do), though this only works for desk based jobs (but presumably WFH means you are at a desk!).

That'd too much like thinking outside the box for your average middling manager. 

HOLA4415
1 hour ago, MancTom said:

Why, as a leading boss, I think people should be paid less to work from home: As No.10 slaps down minister who suggested it, Dragons' Den panellist TOUKER SULEYMAN gives his verdict

Well, he's just guaranteed himself one less prospective candidate for one of his micro-managed, don't be the first to leave, 24hrs on call, slave pit roles.

I think I might pick a different employer should I be looking in the future (ie, should my company demand more than 1 day a fortnight in the office (I do miss the street food places and the bars if I'm honest) .

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
6 minutes ago, jevans said:

seems to me that if we are serious about climate change WFH cutting a huge number of journeys by car has got to be a positive benefit.

I'd guess a large amount of WFH jobs are from established commuter lines, so only reduce public transport usage. 

With more WFH, I'd also expect an increase in internet shopping and deliveries countering this.

Unintended consequences can be a *****

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
12 minutes ago, msi said:

With more WFH, I'd also expect an increase in internet shopping and deliveries countering this.

OK I'm an outlier, but as an ex IT contractor whose had 11 addresses in 12 years (always took unfurnished rooms or a flat rather than suitcase / hotel hell) I'm done with lugging heavy carry boxes of kitchenware, books, IT kit and photo and hifi gear in sweltering heat or icy darkness.

2 things to Ebay / charity / landfill for every 1 new item from now on.
Long term aim is to be cremated with all my belongings in a standard sized coffin🤣

Edited by hotblack42
punktuation

HOLA4420
6 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

I wonder if people would spend more on heating in the winter.

Saying that I think it probably would be positive for the environment.

For me the cost of one off peak round trip from the South coast to London avoided will run the gas central heating for a week in mid Winter.

HOLA4421
1 minute ago, hotblack42 said:

For me the cost of one off peak round trip from the South coast to London avoided will run the gas central heating for a week in mid Winter.

But will it produce the same amount of pollution? How much of your train ticket goes on fuel producing C02 and how much on wages?

(Obviously for you it is good but is it good for the environment?).

HOLA4422
Just now, iamnumerate said:

But will it produce the same amount of pollution? How much of your train ticket goes on fuel producing C02 and how much on wages?

(Obviously for you it is good but is it good for the environment?).

Unsure without getting me pencil out - however, for clarity I meant running the central heating throughout the night & day, all week, not just the extra cost of keeping warm in the day.

Last 2 winters I wore my towelling robe on top of work clothes on cold days and only put the heating on when someone else was in the flat (been WFH mondays and had Fri-Sun weekends since 2018).

HOLA4423
3 minutes ago, hotblack42 said:

Unsure without getting me pencil out - however, for clarity I meant running the central heating throughout the night & day, all week, not just the extra cost of keeping warm in the day.

Last 2 winters I wore my towelling robe on top of work clothes on cold days and only put the heating on when someone else was in the flat (been WFH mondays and had Fri-Sun weekends since 2018).

True - I am not saying that you are wrong. Just that it might be more complicated than that - but you are probably right.

(That is sitting on the fence sorry)

HOLA4424

I am hearing alot of talk about people being called back to the office now and the heart ache its causing.  Lots of houses that are coming on the market now cause of people who cant commute to the places they moved to for the covid.  Also couples separating as women are never happy and the men could not escape the moaning in lockdown and the houses coming into the market.  lot of holiday lets too that were setup but will be empty once travel starts.  Not good unless you are after a crash.      

HOLA4425
1 minute ago, satsuma said:

I am hearing alot of talk about people being called back to the office now and the heart ache its causing.  Lots of houses that are coming on the market now cause of people who cant commute to the places they moved to for the covid.  Also couples separating as women are never happy and the men could not escape the moaning in lockdown and the houses coming into the market.  lot of holiday lets too that were setup but will be empty once travel starts.  Not good unless you are after a crash.      

Do have to question the wisdom of anyone who made such a decision this quickly, without waiting to see where things would settle down long term.