House Price Crash Forum

Working from home dies a death - remote switches to hybrid... lots of people in trouble because of unworkable commutes

On 7/15/2021 at 8:23 AM, MarkG said:

I went into the office earlier in the week, but only because they had free ice cream. It was weird having to put trousers on, find my ID badge and drive for twenty minutes rather than crawl out of bed to the computer room and log in.

Surely the cost of the commute negated a free ice cream cone? Did you ask for a choccy flake also? 🤣

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, hotblack42 said:

Indeed I find the appeal wanes after the 5th..😄

I all seriousness though I would happily eat 3 mars icecreams in a row any day of the week.

Re topic.  Its time for employers & employees to be grown up about this, put egos, 'territory' & status aside & develop an operating model that fully meets genuine business needs while maximising employee satisfaction as far as possible within that constraint.

It's really not hard if everyone collaborates unselfishly instead of trying to 'win'. 

I envy you if you have had a long career with senior managers who collaborate unselfishly rather than win.

Not my experience at all sadly.

3 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

I envy you if you have had a long career with senior managers who collaborate unselfishly rather than win.

Not my experience at all sadly.

A lot of the time they've been OK e.g. topping up pension fund & increasing holiday, permitting 4 day working werk, but yes its been mixed.

The unspoken truth about the LLP I work for now is that if there's a bid the partners would, without a moment's hesitation, walk off with £10M in their pockets rather than fight it for the sake of us grunts.

Yet another nonsense puff-piece from the Daily Wail.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-9800535/DR-MAX-PEMBERTON-fear-return-work.html

DR MAX PEMBERTON: Why DO so many fear the return to work on the eve of Freedom Day after working from home for 16 months?

• Psychologists have dubbed the Fear Of Returning to the Office - FORO
  • Dr Max Pemberton says virus and social anxiety is spiking request for sick notes
  • NHS psychiatrist shares advice for overcoming the temptation to hide away  

11 hours ago, hotblack42 said:

A lot of the time they've been OK e.g. topping up pension fund & increasing holiday, permitting 4 day working werk, but yes its been mixed.

The unspoken truth about the LLP I work for now is that if there's a bid the partners would, without a moment's hesitation, walk off with £10M in their pockets rather than fight it for the sake of us grunts.

That is nothing at a previous job. A manager had a black woman who I will call unlucky so the manager who we call psycho got rid of three white people at the same time as unlucky.  Psycho then recruited a less able black person - all so unlucky could not accuse psycho of being racist!

Edited by iamnumerate

Well my soon to be ex employer has stated today that its carry on WFH until the end of September at the earliest. My soon to be new employer is still trying to decide if I need to be in the office on my first day, or if they are going to ship my new kit out this week…

I'm not sure if this is real as it seems to contain every cliche and reads like the Daily Mash. 

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/4301726-I-managed-to-save-around-15K-stamp-duty-But-I-pay-50K-extra-because-of-my-mistake

I just brought a house in South East England, after we sell our apartment in London. I managed to save around £15K stamp duty. But, We pay £50K extra because of our mistake. We view the property online. After moved-in we found the roof leak. The boiler is not working well. The plumbers ask us to replace pipes in the wall as well. The pictures look lovely on the Zoopla. We don't have this issue with our apartment in London.

I feel regret now. And now, my company needs me to back to the office at least three days a week. And my husband needs to be back five days a week from September onward. The train fare is expensive.

We have a big garden. My husband asks me to do the gardening once a month because I can work from home two days a week, this makes me mad.

We might plan to move back to London and get a flat.

Does anyone fell into the same trap? Should I stay or move back to London.

Edited by sammersmith

Last week we were told to prepare to come back to the office from 1st August.  Just been told that this has been delayed until further notice.  Apparent reason is that they are scared everyone will get sick at the same time and no one there to cover the work.  

44 minutes ago, Timbuk3 said:

Last week we were told to prepare to come back to the office from 1st August.  Just been told that this has been delayed until further notice.  Apparent reason is that they are scared everyone will get sick at the same time and no one there to cover the work.  

Were you expected back in the office full time?

5 hours ago, Timbuk3 said:

Likewise ours has been put back to 31th August if you don't want to go in. We can work 3 days home/2 days in although the email we got it assumed everyone had been vaxxed. I haven't so will be interesting what they do with me!

On 19/07/2021 at 00:06, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Psychologists have dubbed the Fear Of Returning to the Office - FORO

Oh FFS. I didn't realise me enjoying zero travel costs, zero travel time, and zero suited prks sitting or standing next to me on a train was actually me being fearful of returning to the office 😱💀👻 Especially in this weather!

This has all the sophistication of a junior school playground argument along the lines of "Ooooh, you're scared". Do they think I will demand my company pay rent they don't need to so I don't get look like I'm afraid? See, here's me on the office, I'm not scared really 🙄

No final word on the office return just yet, thank God! Looks to be Q4(ish) and looks like we'll have some freedom to choose! I love my company!

Edited by Huggy

7 hours ago, sammersmith said:

I'm not sure if this is real as it seems to contain every cliche and reads like the Daily Mash. 

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/4301726-I-managed-to-save-around-15K-stamp-duty-But-I-pay-50K-extra-because-of-my-mistake

I just brought a house in South East England, after we sell our apartment in London. I managed to save around £15K stamp duty. But, We pay £50K extra because of our mistake. We view the property online. After moved-in we found the roof leak. The boiler is not working well. The plumbers ask us to replace pipes in the wall as well. The pictures look lovely on the Zoopla. We don't have this issue with our apartment in London.

I feel regret now. And now, my company needs me to back to the office at least three days a week. And my husband needs to be back five days a week from September onward. The train fare is expensive.

We have a big garden. My husband asks me to do the gardening once a month because I can work from home two days a week, this makes me mad.

Yeah the spelling is whiffy. 

9 hours ago, sammersmith said:

I think this is a wind up. My experience of non native English speakers is that their spoken English is far superior to their written English. Even those who speak perfectly with little accent tend to come across as mediocre when writing. Noticeably they never seem to write as they speak; however this text reads how an Eastern European would talk.

9 minutes ago, hurlerontheditch said:

I was back In the office this week first time since last year. was pretty full and nice to be in some air con.

seemed to get a lot more done with random chats as working. stuff which wouldn't get done all WFH can be sorted as you over hear a conversation 

Gud luck with Covid in the aircon. 

12 hours ago, sammersmith said:

If you don’t enjoy working in the garden, prolly best you don’t have one! Its been a revelation for me.

On 15/06/2021 at 18:44, mattyboy1973 said:

Maybe to an extent, but 2-3 days a week commute is still vastly different to 5.

Not so vastly in some cases at least cost wise, basically nearly everyone using a rail season ticket will still be paying the same. For that reason I could not do say a two day a week in london job because the season pass would still cost me nearly a grand a month. Thats a whole traunch of our infrastructure that isn't setup for so-called hybrid working.

On 7/19/2021 at 8:05 AM, iamnumerate said:

That is nothing at a previous job. A manager had a black woman who I will call unlucky so the manager who we call psycho got rid of three white people at the same time as unlucky.  Psycho then recruited a less able black person - all so unlucky could not accuse psycho of being racist!

Were the wages lower

2 hours ago, goldbug9999 said:

Not so vastly in some cases at least cost wise, basically nearly everyone using a rail season ticket will still be paying the same. For that reason I could not do say a two day a week in london job because the season pass would still cost me nearly a grand a month. Thats a whole traunch of our infrastructure that isn't setup for so-called hybrid working.

Yeah, I was really referring to the effort/toll on the lifestyle side of things, rather than cost. You are right about our trains tho, and the ticketing system. We really a cheaper way to travel flexibly but I wouldn't hold your breath - the new "flexible" tickets they announced a month or so ago are anything but flexible (8 days a month, use it or lose it), and cost nearly as much as a normal season..

3 hours ago, mattyboy1973 said:

Yeah, I was really referring to the effort/toll on the lifestyle side of things, rather than cost. You are right about our trains tho, and the ticketing system. We really a cheaper way to travel flexibly but I wouldn't hold your breath - the new "flexible" tickets they announced a month or so ago are anything but flexible (8 days a month, use it or lose it), and cost nearly as much as a normal season..

If people want the trains to still run 7 days a week they will need to pay for them. There is no real saving to pass on to those working 2 or 3 days a week, on the plus side you will probably get a seat.