Realistbear

Winter Freezes Autumn Rise In Property Prices

https://registration.ft.com/registration/ba...20abe49a01.html

Winter freezes autumn rise in property prices

By Chris Giles, Economics Editor
Published:
February 11 2006
02:00 | Last updated: February 11 2006 02:00
The recovery in house prices since the autumn has been muted and did not gather pace at the start of 2006, according to the FT house price index.
House price inflation is now at its slowest rate for 10 years
. January's house prices were only 1.8 per cent higher than a year earlier, with the
annual rate of inflation having fallen steadily from a peak of 15.2 per cent in August 2004.

Trust the FT to cut through the VI spin!

Edited by Realistbear

The FT is a lot less reliant on VI advertising than most papers. It has no problem presenting an objective view. The £1 cover price also helps I guess.

It wouldn't bother putting gloss on a stock market fall, or avoid criticising a company's management. It is aiming to keep investors accurately informed about markets.

In fact it's the most bearish paper out there on property - that is quite an achievement when you consider that a lot of its readers are living or working in areas where HPI has returned with a vengeance eg Kensington / City.

Edited by geranium

Yes the FT are quite honest - and critically they cater for a very specific type of reader who will (probably) have guessed there are "issues" with the housing market.

I only use the Land Registry and FT hpi as my points of reference when charting the trends as they have nothing to gain from fudging the figures <_<

Edited by ETOPS773

https://registration.ft.com/registration/ba...20abe49a01.html

Winter freezes autumn rise in property prices

By Chris Giles, Economics Editor
Published:
February 11 2006
02:00 | Last updated: February 11 2006 02:00
The recovery in house prices since the autumn has been muted and did not gather pace at the start of 2006, according to the FT house price index.
House price inflation is now at its slowest rate for 10 years
. January's house prices were only 1.8 per cent higher than a year earlier, with the
annual rate of inflation having fallen steadily from a peak of 15.2 per cent in August 2004.

Trust the FT to cut through the VI spin!

Hmm... both the FT and the hyper-rationalist Economist are owned (or part-owned) by the same people (Pearson) and both seem to enjoy ploughing their own furrow and tend to sing the same song. Both also tend to ignore the normative effects of what drives markets (the Economist has been calling the end of the boom for several years)... but they do indeed provide clear stats.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Here`s one that was sold for 39k in 1999, was on the market 6 months back at 177k, today reduced to 142.5k. Still very much overpriced, how do I know my cottage I sold was one of them, location Norfolk.

26414_10000_1128_IMG_00.jpg