House Price Crash Forum

House Viewings

HOLA441

This thread got me thinking about what the worst house viewings HPC members may have also experienced themselves. Or even what would be your worst idea of a house viewing? Personally I have not really had any bad experiences, well I havent viewed very many houses anyway. B)

HOLA442
HOLA443

'you'll notice this mark on the wall, I'm not a violent man but....' oh dear....

Anyway

I ve seen... on various properties.....

-Damp on one side of the wall that was sooo bad it was green and covered in mould and a huge dehumidifer sat in the room, was on all the time. The agent pretended there was no problem - but OBVIOUSLY not good for asthmatics!

-The kitchen ceiling was falling in due to a leaky bath upstairs. This was ex council, they hadnt bovvered to fix it... oopps The agent again hadnt said anything, but blatantly it was there to see....

Everything had already been moved out. They said they were selling when pushed because hey had to clear their debts :( Walked outside and nextdoors' frontdoor was open. A middle aged lady stood in what was a shirt and just wearing underwear in the middle of the day.... I had to look twice not because i was a pervert - but there were ulcers or numerous scabs on her legs EEUUUAAAK!!! Really weird..

-A one bed flat above a shop. You had to go from behind above a flight of dodgey metal stairs, on top of the neighbours garage to get access to it... Was weird that you had to traverse a neighbours property before getting to your own front door!

Edited by notanewmember

HOLA444
Guest muttley

Mrs M and I viewed an unusual house about 2 years ago.

The garage had been converted into a 10 man jacuzzi,there was a 6 man/woman steam room.On the ground floor was a room with a foam stage and every wall was mirrored.The first floor had what the owner described as a "party room" complete with Bedouin Tents.

By now we were beginning to be a little suspicious,so the owner explained that he liked to host swingers parties each weekend.In fact there had been one just the night before (this explained why the jacuzzi was on a "clean cycle".

When we got home we found the "club" on the internet.The guy was charging £50 per couple* up to 20 couples each weekend

Needless to say we didn't put an offer in for the house.

* It wasn't worth it.**

** So we've been told!!!!

HOLA445

Worst or funniest? First viewing I ever did, the EA was ramping it up (one of those brittle skinny blonde women who regret the demise of the shoulder pad). Told me she had been there the day before and it was "fantastic. fantastic value". Went round with her assistant. Went back and the EA who asked me eagerly how it was. I said it was great apart from the ceiling being in the bathtub and the huge green fungi on it. The look on her face was priceless.

HOLA446

Mrs M and I viewed an unusual house about 2 years ago.

The garage had been converted into a 10 man jacuzzi,there was a 6 man/woman steam room.On the ground floor was a room with a foam stage and every wall was mirrored.The first floor had what the owner described as a "party room" complete with Bedouin Tents.

By now we were beginning to be a little suspicious,so the owner explained that he liked to host swingers parties each weekend.In fact there had been one just the night before (this explained why the jacuzzi was on a "clean cycle".

When we got home we found the "club" on the internet.The guy was charging £50 per couple* up to 20 couples each weekend

Needless to say we didn't put an offer in for the house.

* It wasn't worth it.**

** So we've been told!!!!

Could have been worse/better*... you could have been viewing during a 'party'. :blink::blink::blink::blink:

*delete as appropriate for your own sexual preferences

HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest muttley
The guy was charging £50 per couple* up to 20 couples each weekend

Sounds like a great business opportunity you missed out on there!

A house full of naked people eating canopes and talking about house prices!! :blink:

YUK!!!!!!

HOLA449

A mate of mine bought a recently used brothel in central Scotland but didnt realise it at the time.

For the first year or so he was still getting prospective clients knocking on the door hopefully. He said you could always tell them by the fact they always reversed their cars into the drive so they could make a quick getaway.

HOLA4410

When I was at uni, we looked for a house to rent in our 2nd year. We were shown a house in the evening when it was dark, but the electricity was cut off (didn't pay the bill?) so we looked round a house in the dark tripping over stuff.! :o

We walked straight to the nearest pub.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Viewed a flat in Knightsbridge on 2 floors in 1993. The owner was a lady, c.55, of flamboyant taste who had improved on the presumably already impressive interior design work of some 60's pop star. Highlight was the jeroboam of champagne and glasses in the bathroom, and her assurance that she and her friends often drank there - then viewing the kitchen upstairs where 2 gentlemen were sitting demurely sipping cocktails.

Worst viewings were of flats when I was looking to rent in 1982. One in Finsbury Park, the other near the Oval. The latter had what amounted to an outside loo - on the first floor of this block. I cannot remember much about the Finsbury Park one other than my hasty retreat and the ridiculously long hike to public transport.

HOLA4413

Worst viewings were of flats when I was looking to rent in 1982. One in Finsbury Park, the other near the Oval. The latter had what amounted to an outside loo - on the first floor of this block. I cannot remember much about the Finsbury Park one other than my hasty retreat and the ridiculously long hike to public transport.

In 1982 you should have been squatting in Finsbury Park. Thats what I did in 86. They knocked it down. Between then and 1997. Too many squatters presumably!!!

HOLA4414

In 1982 you should have been squatting in Finsbury Park. Thats what I did in 86. They knocked it down. Between then and 1997. Too many squatters presumably!!!

Probably, I was too naive to look at that option. I think the rent was to be something like GBP 12 per week - not much money even then. I rented for 12 years before becoming an FTB, 7 of those in London. Some of the time that was a financial disaster vs buying, after the crash it looked fine - but it was definitely soul-destroying: I flat-shared in 4 different places in my first year in London. So while this is now long behind me I do understand the anger so many on this site feel.

HOLA4415

I would imagine that the cleaner who 'mops up' after each party demands quite a sizeable chunk out of the 50 squid, erm, 'entry' fee. :blink::blink::blink::huh:

HOLA4416
Guest muttley

I would imagine that the cleaner who 'mops up' after each party demands quite a sizeable chunk out of the 50 squid, erm, 'entry' fee. :blink::blink::blink::huh:

We did notice that the floors were wooden,presumably easy to wipe clean.

HOLA4417

We did notice that the floors were wooden,presumably easy to wipe clean.

How about the general odour? I would imagine just one party of 40 middle-aged, naked, sweaty, greased-up bodies all piled up and writhing over each other could produce some stench... let alone each week. :blink::blink::blink::blink:

HOLA4418

Mine was an anaphylactic reaction brought about by the EA disturbing a bee's nest in the loft which caused a swarm and I got stung.

Thank goodness my adrenalin pen was in my handbag and that Mr stats had his whits about him.

The EAs face was a picture, he had to be sedated because he was in "shock". Bless

needless to say we didn't buy the house

HOLA4419

The worst one I saw was a large 3 bed semi 'in need of some modernisation'

I knew from the outside that the place was a sh!thole but it was much worse inside.

The owners had already left and the place was being sold with no chain.

The house stank of dog and piss and fags as you walked in and the tired out kitchen units and walls were COATED in thick dark brown grease from years of fry ups. AAAAAAAAARGHHHH!

The back door had been virtually scratched and chewed away by the dog(s) that must have resided in the back garden. The floor around the door had been scratched badly by the dogs when they wanted to go out.

I think the agent's description was something like

"Original kitchen units c/w sink and tiled splashbacks. Single glazed window and several power points and fixings for washing machine. Back door leading to rear garden..."

The owners had performed an illegal extension to the back of the house and this must have been done by the Irish builder off Fawlty Towers (Murphy?)

You could see damp stains seeping through the (purple and orange!) wallpaper where the extension joined to the house. The once white (polystyrene, yuk) ceiling tiles were stained yellowy brown with nicotene.

All the carpets had been removed from the downstairs which was probably a blessing.

The staircarpet had been worn through past the underlay on every step. Classic.

But I didn't look upstairs...

Even the estate agent kept quiet and just looked embarrased.

HOLA4420

1. Viewed a new build on a private estate in the early 90s or late 80s - local pre-teen gangs of little darlings appeared from nowhere to throw sticks and cans at my car as I drove away!

2. Very recently when viewing to rent, realised the corner-situated duplex flat I was viewing (looked like a small semi-house) actually shared a party wall with another flat behind. Most unusual design (from my experience) as the second flat's front door was hidden behind a high hedge on the corner. Not a problem I thought as I said goodbye to the agent and momentarily stood outside after the viewing, until I saw the male neighbour staring psycho-style at me from the window of the adjoining room - wearing nothing at all. (I'm male too btw.)

Edited by novicerenter

HOLA4421

Viewing to rent a house 3 years ago.

Opened the door, went upstairs, and the smell of skunk was incredible.

A door opens, and two stoned occupants stumble out of the living room, complete with stereotypical swampy-esque student look.

Slumlord's assistant showing us round looked a little embarrassed.

It was 10am ffs!

btp

HOLA4422

Viewing to rent a house 3 years ago.

Opened the door, went upstairs, and the smell of skunk was incredible.

A door opens, and two stoned occupants stumble out of the living room, complete with stereotypical swampy-esque student look.

Slumlord's assistant showing us round looked a little embarrassed.

It was 10am ffs!

btp

Party just finished?

HOLA4423

This thread got me thinking about what the worst house viewings HPC members may have also experienced themselves. Or even what would be your worst idea of a house viewing? Personally I have not really had any bad experiences, well I havent viewed very many houses anyway. B)

The worst viewings I've had in Britain during the past couple of years have been in the homes of elderly couples who are desperate to sell their homes. The homes were all overpriced, and often their furnishings and condition were quite depressing. Sometimes the couples invite me to tea and tell me the sad story of why they have to move. I always tell the couple how lovely their home is, however, and then mumble some excuse about the currency exchange not favoring my buying a house very soon. I also reassure them that they're sure to sell the home.

Later, I give the estate agent an earful, however, about the need to price the homes more realistically. :angry:

In the States, the owners are almost never in the house during viewings. It makes the experience much less wrenching for me as a potential buyer.

Off topic: In the small area where I'm hoping to eventually buy, two homes that went STC two months ago went back on the market this weekend. I looked at both last fall. Overpriced.

HOLA4424

1998, 4-bed town house in Stevenage (twinned with Baghdad !)

No area for parking so had to walk to property, past street muggers

drug addicts, young youths setting fire to something on the ground?

House was a mess, didn’t like anything about it.

I was lied to by Estate agent on the phone. (typically!)

looked around for 5 minutes and left, when two squad cars screeched

to a halt outside a neighbouring house and a load of coppers jumped out

I didn’t stay to see what happened next?

Apparently Stevenage is a house price hot spot now... It’s a sh!thole.

HOLA4425

In the States, the owners are almost never in the house during viewings. It makes the experience much less wrenching for me as a potential buyer.

We bought our first house in the US, and this was the best bit about buying and selling a house in the US. I am not sure why any seller in the UK thinks they need to be present for a viewing. Frankly, it's embarrassing as the owners try and steer you towards the "best" features. This has several effects: it makes you immediately suspicious about what the sellers are trying to cover up, it makes you question the personal taste of the owner, and it makes it more awkward to ask about certain questionable features of the property.

For example, when I was buying in the UK, I went through one viewing where the owner omitted to mention that the big stream a few metres away from his house had flooded at some point during the recent past. I knew it was a problem, but didn't challenge him on it. I wondered if the seller ever got away with it, so that a buyer would not know about the flooding.