House Price Crash Forum

Wage Inflation - to the moon - doubt the Bank of England have even noticed!

I've noticed wage increases of 10-20% in hospitality and catering. 

Now seeing huge increases in everyday office jobs: 

"It's wild out there at the moment"... as a recruiter (non hospitality) in Cardiff recently posted... counter offer after counter offer... gazumping comes to recruitment... (first time I can remember - it's as though the housing mania has now reached the jobs market!). 

And this is where it really gets interesting... wage inflation is hard to contain and flows out into the wider economy. 

I was imagining major wage inflation would perhaps only be widespread re: lower paid hospitality jobs - clearly not. 

Edited by gruffydd

A lot of those foreigners who returned home won't be able to find jobs at home. Which is why they left in the first place. 

The employers' cry is always "let in more Immigrants".

Sounds like we're being softened up for another government announcement of millions more...

I'm in transport (lorry driver) and had 2 pay rises in 7 months (1% then 3%). I work for a company who until recently paid slightly above average for the type of work, and yet my depot (200 drivers) lost 12 -- yes 12! - drivers in 1 day a fortnight ago. Most went to Royal Mail and DPD who were, apparently, paying even more. Wages may have to rise again in a couple of months.

I see some rather acute labour shortages in transport now. Something I haven't seen since the expansion of the EU in 2004 allowing Poles, Romanians and Bulgarians to work here. So many EE lorry drivers have gone back. 

1 hour ago, Orb said:

I'm in transport (lorry driver) and had 2 pay rises in 7 months (1% then 3%). I work for a company who until recently paid slightly above average for the type of work, and yet my depot (200 drivers) lost 12 -- yes 12! - drivers in 1 day a fortnight ago. Most went to Royal Mail and DPD who were, apparently, paying even more. Wages may have to rise again in a couple of months.

I see some rather acute labour shortages in transport now. Something I haven't seen since the expansion of the EU in 2004 allowing Poles, Romanians and Bulgarians to work here. So many EE lorry drivers have gone back. 

Perhaps this is the aim here in the UK... just as it's an explicit policy goal in the USA - yet with wage inflation comes broader inflation... we have an interesting few months ahead... 

12 hours ago, 24gray24 said:

A lot of those foreigners who returned home won't be able to find jobs at home. Which is why they left in the first place. 

Sounds like we're being softened up for another government announcement of millions more...

No announcement needed, they never stopped letting them in. Barring the Covid hiccup EU immigrants were seamlessly replaced by immigrants from further afield.   

13 hours ago, 24gray24 said:

Is that why a Canadian rocks up in the UK? Or is that a different class of 'foreigner' and immigrunt?