House Price Crash Forum

Is rural Aberdeenshire becoming less expensive? Looks tempting

Not sure how to access data on rural Aberdeenshire house prices... but noticed some very good value there recently... tempted at a move myself because some rural areas there are fantastic... can anyone point me to some specific indexes for the county (or N E Scotland more generally) - thanks. 

Edited by gruffydd

• gruffydd changed the title to Is rural Aberdeenshire becoming less expensive? Looks tempting
3 minutes ago, shlomo said:

So are we progressing from a site complaining about high house prices to one that is promoting home buying 

There are distinct pockets of value here and there, I believe

I wouldn’t consider the north of Scotland. The central belt and south win on infrastructure, weather, less aggressive winters and access to amenities and airports. Once you start heading north it’s becomes picturesque but it comes at a price. I love heading north from where I am but I wouldn’t live there. 

The Scottish Borders is incredible value for money and that’s why it’s dominated by the English. (No offence intended).

32 minutes ago, shlomo said:

So are we progressing from a site complaining about high house prices to one that is promoting home buying

If you mean promoting buying at current prices, that only makes sense if flogging an equally overpriced place, or have managed to prise a big discount out of a probate vendor like wot we did.

Terrible time to be an FTB, even with gifted deposit. Not much cop for 2nd steppers either.  We bunged our eldest a c. 15% deposit last year & he's sitting on his hands in a tiny, rent controlled apt in Stockholm waiting for the correction when the Covid-19 chickens come home to roost.

Stockholm is roughly as overpriced as SE England, but not as bad as London.

Don't blame him, I'd do the same.

This other thread on the forum gives a good overview of what is happening here, including price trends.

Problem with the price indexes that I know of is that they treat the whole of Aberdeenshire as one homogenous body which does not give a good idea of the real market locally.

In reality Aberdeenshire is huge geographically and can be broken up into many different local markets based on the likes of Geography (e.g. Coastal Northern Coast Villages, attractive to tourists and thus holiday home buyers; Deeside, royalty tourism) or primary economic dependency (Fishing, NE coastal strip centered on Peterhead/Fraserburgh), Oil (area surrounding Aberdeen), Farming (NW Aberdeenshire, Southern Aberdeenshire).

In the areas where oil has a big influence prices are a lot higher than the farming dependant areas like round the likes of Lumsden.  Overall, in general, prices in Aberdeenshire are still higher than many other areas of Scotland.

You definitely get better value for money in areas around Dundee/Perth with the huge added advantage that you are a lot closer to Edinburgh and Glasgow and the services/transport links they provide.  Moray is also a good area for value - we're seriously thinking of moving over there if work can confirm that we can work from home most of the time going forward (main office is in Aberdeen) - as you can get onto the A9 quickly should you need to go to the central belt plus the climate is a lot better than Aberdeenshire (warmer, less Haar!).

Country houses in Aberdeenshire are selling quickly at the moment as long as they are well presented and with decent gardens - the best value I am seeing currently is around Laurencekirk (farming dominated area south of Stonehaven).  If you are used to city comforts though, Aberdeen will disappoint as its getting very run down and reflected in all the big shops closing (John Lewis etc; even M&S is rumoured to be downsizing massively).

New build estates though are atrocious with minimalist gardens at best so best avoided.  I suppose the same can be said everywhere else in the UK.

4 hours ago, Ignorantbliss said:

This other thread on the forum gives a good overview of what is happening here, including price trends.

Problem with the price indexes that I know of is that they treat the whole of Aberdeenshire as one homogenous body which does not give a good idea of the real market locally.

In reality Aberdeenshire is huge geographically and can be broken up into many different local markets based on the likes of Geography (e.g. Coastal Northern Coast Villages, attractive to tourists and thus holiday home buyers; Deeside, royalty tourism) or primary economic dependency (Fishing, NE coastal strip centered on Peterhead/Fraserburgh), Oil (area surrounding Aberdeen), Farming (NW Aberdeenshire, Southern Aberdeenshire).

In the areas where oil has a big influence prices are a lot higher than the farming dependant areas like round the likes of Lumsden.  Overall, in general, prices in Aberdeenshire are still higher than many other areas of Scotland.

You definitely get better value for money in areas around Dundee/Perth with the huge added advantage that you are a lot closer to Edinburgh and Glasgow and the services/transport links they provide.  Moray is also a good area for value - we're seriously thinking of moving over there if work can confirm that we can work from home most of the time going forward (main office is in Aberdeen) - as you can get onto the A9 quickly should you need to go to the central belt plus the climate is a lot better than Aberdeenshire (warmer, less Haar!).

Country houses in Aberdeenshire are selling quickly at the moment as long as they are well presented and with decent gardens - the best value I am seeing currently is around Laurencekirk (farming dominated area south of Stonehaven).  If you are used to city comforts though, Aberdeen will disappoint as its getting very run down and reflected in all the big shops closing (John Lewis etc; even M&S is rumoured to be downsizing massively).

New build estates though are atrocious with minimalist gardens at best so best avoided.  I suppose the same can be said everywhere else in the UK.

Thanks for info - definitely considering one of those small stone farmhouses with a few acres... Wales, although I've loved living here since coming over from Ireland, has lost its shine... a place for rich kids these days. I need somewhere with a bit more soul. Ireland lost so much too by going after corporate money and so on... doesn't appeal either these days. Scotland's appeal is increasing. 

On 06/06/2021 at 10:53, gruffydd said:

Not sure how to access data on rural Aberdeenshire house prices... but noticed some very good value there recently... tempted at a move myself because some rural areas there are fantastic... can anyone point me to some specific indexes for the county (or N E Scotland more generally) - thanks. 

If you go the land registry, you can create a time series of house prices based on region (certainly down to the county)  and house type (detached, semi, flat etc.) I believe this is the most accurate house price index because it is based on subsequent sales of the same property. 

And it looks as if your perception is correct - the price index for Aberdeenshire has scarcely increased since 2008.   

https://landregistry.data.gov.uk/app/ukhpi/browse?from=2006-01-01&location=http%3A%2F%2Flandregistry.data.gov.uk%2Fid%2Fregion%2Faberdeenshire&to=2021-04-01&lang=en

Aberdeen and her shire are always on the anti-cycle; it's been going on for decades, though this time it's the systemic changes in oil extraction - both the fact that the easy oil is gone from the North Sea, and the fact that the Americans have been able to destabilise the global market with shale. OPEC tried to knife them, and Aberdeen(-shire) ended up as complete collateral damage. Given that oil markets are permanently changed by shale, and the aforementioned difficulty in getting what little is left from miles under the North Sea, there's likely an oversupply of housing in the area. So perhaps nice to move to if you don't need a job in oil, though I'd tread carefully if you think it's going to be a great investment.

On a more positive note, they're putting a bigger road in all the way to Inverness, so you can move even further out without being totally disconnected from civilisation: https://www.transport.gov.scot/projects/a96-dualling-inverness-to-aberdeen/

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Horseradish said:

Aberdeen and her shire are always on the anti-cycle; it's been going on for decades, though this time it's the systemic changes in oil extraction - both the fact that the easy oil is gone from the North Sea, and the fact that the Americans have been able to destabilise the global market with shale. OPEC tried to knife them, and Aberdeen(-shire) ended up as complete collateral damage. Given that oil markets are permanently changed by shale, and the aforementioned difficulty in getting what little is left from miles under the North Sea, there's likely an oversupply of housing in the area. So perhaps nice to move to if you don't need a job in oil, though I'd tread carefully if you think it's going to be a great investment.

On a more positive note, they're putting a bigger road in all the way to Inverness, so you can move even further out without being totally disconnected from civilisation: https://www.transport.gov.scot/projects/a96-dualling-inverness-to-aberdeen/

I nearly moved to Aberdeenshire when I was young... a small = holding (50 acres, stone farmhouse... ubiquitous back then)... and if only I had! My life would've been a great deal simpler... very little back then... now couldn't afford it despite working in tech! Kind of wondering what the point of high pressure work is right now... earn much more than average yet fall ever further behind. 

Thanks for the broader picture... helpful... I fell tempted to go on a visit to see what things are like on the ground. 

Edited by gruffydd

2 hours ago, bearishonhouses said:

If you go the land registry, you can create a time series of house prices based on region (certainly down to the county)  and house type (detached, semi, flat etc.) I believe this is the most accurate house price index because it is based on subsequent sales of the same property. 

And it looks as if your perception is correct - the price index for Aberdeenshire has scarcely increased since 2008.   

https://landregistry.data.gov.uk/app/ukhpi/browse?from=2006-01-01&location=http%3A%2F%2Flandregistry.data.gov.uk%2Fid%2Fregion%2Faberdeenshire&to=2021-04-01&lang=en

Thanks - very helpful... it was little more than a perception but glad you have confirmed... a drive up to Aberdeenshire beckons - would happily live up there. 

The Aboyne / Ballater bit is nice (or basically any of "Royal Deeside"), if you can get sufficiently off the tourist bus trail. The north coast of Aberdeenshire is pretty with the views out over the sea, but you will die in winter. Avoid Fraserburgh (locally: "the broch") as it's rough as f**k. I know an English person who was hounded out of Turriff (pronounced "turra") for the crime of "Being English", though that was 20 years ago. Still some pockets of pitchforks though where they speak more Doric than English. If you want to be really out of the way then you're better behind the Cairngorms - Aviemore and whatnot. Avoid Aberdeen itself obviously. The sky is grey, the buildings are grey, and the people are... well, you get the point.

Edited by Horseradish

1 hour ago, Horseradish said:

The Aboyne / Ballater bit is nice (or basically any of "Royal Deeside"), if you can get sufficiently off the tourist bus trail. The north coast of Aberdeenshire is pretty with the views out over the sea, but you will die in winter. Avoid Fraserburgh (locally: "the broch") as it's rough as f**k. I know an English person who was hounded out of Turriff (pronounced "turra") for the crime of "Being English", though that was 20 years ago. Still some pockets of pitchforks though where they speak more Doric than English. If you want to be really out of the way then you're better behind the Cairngorms - Aviemore and whatnot. Avoid Aberdeen itself obviously. The sky is grey, the buildings are grey, and the people are... well, you get the point.

Thanks for the tips. Was at university up in Scotland for a while and used to have some chums up that way (the north east)... Peterhead was always interesting for a night out lol! I must say though I fell in love with the landscapes - as for the cold... I'm suited to it. Loved winters in Inverness, etc. - although I might be a bit odd admitting it lol! Was there a local name for Peterhead? I remember a vague hostility to "white settlers" back then but seemed very peripheral. 

lived in Aberdeen for 4 years. can't say I liked it much. awful weather and cold summers. on a good summers day it will be ruined by the harr coming in off the sea and drop the temperature to 8c.

it snows every winter and usually from early November to April you can expect it.

Aberdeen was booming when I was there but with oil and gas industry changing I hear its getting tatty 

5 minutes ago, Ignorantbliss said:

Or another way to look at it is that the Aberdeen summer is just the winter with daylight!

haha true

I remember in the height of summer, the forecast was highs of 13c in Aberdeen 28 in London and the south east. DOUBLE!!!

getting dark at 3pm too in winter. think long and hard about moving up there