House Price Crash Forum

A new economic era: is inflation coming back for good? - FT

2 minutes ago, msi said:

The Elites won't care unless it becomes wage inflation

That's what struck me in the piece... that's where it's likely to hit (wages) - demographic shift (and no doubt housing costs, and Brexit here in the UK too). I don't see it in my sector but am seeing 10%+ wage inflation in hospitality - that seems likely this year, at least. 

1 hour ago, gruffydd said:

That's what struck me in the piece... that's where it's likely to hit (wages) - demographic shift (and no doubt housing costs, and Brexit here in the UK too). I don't see it in my sector but am seeing 10%+ wage inflation in hospitality - that seems likely this year, at least. 

America is slightly ahead of us in this economic cycle. When strong demand for labour meets with low supply and high inflation expectation, wages will rise. We could well enter into a classical wage price spiral.

1 hour ago, reginekierkegaard said:

America is slightly ahead of us in this economic cycle. When strong demand for labour meets with low supply and high inflation expectation, wages will rise. We could well enter into a classical wage price spiral.

Or perhaps not where wages are concerned because of furlough? The wage pressures I am seeing have been stimulated at least in part by furlough... so right through to... September... with mounting recruitment issues and real inflation in wages in many sectors. 

11 hours ago, reginekierkegaard said:

Stimmy cheques are the main reason over there.

3 minutes ago, Si1 said:

There's talk of imported inflation from China too.

Could it be they are having their own industrial development so are aiming for better wages themselves, wanting what they see others have got..... tinternet is open to the entire globe.;)

8 minutes ago, winkie said:

Could it be they are having their own industrial development so are aiming for better wages themselves, wanting what they see others have got..... tinternet is open to the entire globe.;)

No they're just running out of cheap labour. 

1 minute ago, byron78 said:

It's not in China.

No not entirely...... not closed off completely, not enough that the young people don't know how the other half live......plenty of Chinese people now live here and many from here are now working in China.....they own property here.;)

11 minutes ago, winkie said:

No not entirely...... not closed off completely, not enough that the young people don't know how the other half live......plenty of Chinese people now live here and many from here are now working in China.....they own property here.;)

It's such a big country. I've never been but know many who have. The disparity between "poor" rural areas and the cities is quite something as well, apparently.

The cities themselves are "dystopian". 

Just now, byron78 said:

It's such a big country. I've never been but know many who have. The disparity between "poor" rural areas and the cities is quite something as well, apparently.

The cities themselves are "dystopian". 

Not been myself.......they are people like ourselves, they want the best for themselves like those living in all places......we all share one world, there is enough to go around for everyone......or is there?;)

On 05/06/2021 at 10:01, Si1 said:

Ladbible? But anyway she's so embarrassed she's posed for a magazine with the product in question. Kind of makes me wonder what the absent father thinks about all this.

On 04/06/2021 at 07:45, reginekierkegaard said:

To achieve a low inflation, you need either or a combination of the followings 

1. A slow down on the ever expanding money supply 

2. A slow down in the velocity of money 

3. An increase quantity of good / services via increase productivity 

Given that another 2 loft conversions have started on my street alone this week I don't think #2 is very likely. Or #3 given what one set of the builders look like.