House Price Crash Forum

Roaring 20s - Spoons back in business

HOLA441
16 minutes ago, msi said:

Sorry, which account should I address that to?

That's pathetic, I have one account and make my own arguments. I don't need to create an account to pat myself on the back. Maybe the Mods can confirm what merit their is to this suggestion.

Edited by simon99

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
50 minutes ago, simon99 said:

That's pathetic, I have one account and make my own arguments. I don't need to create an account to pat myself on the back. Maybe the Mods can confirm what merit their is to this suggestion.

Sorry I've lost track.  What has your argument got to do with J D Wetherspoon..?

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
13 hours ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

I hope that's a joke wighty mate. 

Spoons is fine.

As long as you just sit in a corner, eat your food, don't talk to anybody and clear off.

PS I'm a cheapskate.

Edited by wighty

HOLA448
29 minutes ago, wighty said:

Spoons is fine.

As far as I can ascertain after visiting many Wetherspoon pubs, there's a marked difference between Wetherspoon in Central London / smarter London suburbs & pretty much everywhere else.

Crosse Keys (City), The Rocket (Putney), The Oyster rooms (Fulham), Sir John Hawkshaw (Cannon St station), The Montagu Pyke (West End).  I could go on.

All have quick food service, capable staff and a wide selection of well kept ales.  I have no idea why Wetherspoon outside London is relatively inferior, but it explains the disdain the chain is generally held in.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
15 hours ago, wighty said:

Spoons meal clubs (steak, curry,fish) are every day now. Best pub chain for food imo. Beer is ok, cheap and cold at least.

Come on you Spoons.

I did struggle to find a Spoons on this list:

https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2021/01/26/How-many-pubs-have-Michelin-stars-in-2021

HOLA4411
29 minutes ago, hotblack42 said:

As far as I can ascertain after visiting many Wetherspoon pubs, there's a marked difference between Wetherspoon in Central London / smarter London suburbs & pretty much everywhere else.

Crosse Keys (City), The Rocket (Putney), The Oyster rooms (Fulham), Sir John Hawkshaw (Cannon St station), The Montagu Pyke (West End).  I could go on.

All have quick food service, capable staff and a wide selection of well kept ales.  I have no idea why Wetherspoon outside London is relatively inferior, but it explains the disdain the chain is generally held in.

That is a fair point.

A large part of this is to do with business lunches in London. You don't take a client to a dive bar (even) in the west end of town.

To stay in business in London, unless you are in the cheaper outer reaches, you need to have either premium dining or high volume take out. The rents are too high for local boozers where the mega-brewer takes most of the profit.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

HOLA4412
53 minutes ago, hotblack42 said:

Great pub by itself in that huge old theatre and even more so considering everywhere else near there is 3x the price.

Personally I don't like the food but you can't fault the beer.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
On 5/31/2021 at 5:37 PM, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Scunthorpe - the only place in England with a particularly rude word in it. 

Does anyone on here frequent 'spoons? Couldn't think of a worse way to spend an afternoon surrounded by a bunch of ruddy faced Brexshiteers.

Spent Xmas day in there one time in Brum (many years ago). The manager gave me free whisky. They're good eggs IMO 

• 2 months later...
HOLA4415

Took the missus for a meal in the local Cricklewood branch. Was just a basic burgers, chips and drink deal, but was pleasantly surprised by the 12.60 bill. Normally we'd budget 30 when eating out. Can't say the place was packed, but there were a few groups taking advantage of the keen prices. Given the tax and duties they pay, they can't be making much margin, but they are open from 8am to 11pm and consequently must make enough sales to cover staff, rent, leccy etc. However I fear they may be hit hard if inflation sets in. I get the feeling that in these parts folk rely on take aways for meals, and only eat out when they can get exceptional service.

HOLA4416
28 minutes ago, Trampa501 said:

Took the missus for a meal in the local Cricklewood branch. Was just a basic burgers, chips and drink deal, but was pleasantly surprised by the 12.60 bill. Normally we'd budget 30 when eating out. Can't say the place was packed, but there were a few groups taking advantage of the keen prices. Given the tax and duties they pay, they can't be making much margin, but they are open from 8am to 11pm and consequently must make enough sales to cover staff, rent, leccy etc. However I fear they may be hit hard if inflation sets in. I get the feeling that in these parts folk rely on take aways for meals, and only eat out when they can get exceptional service.

Wetherspoon’s struggles to find staff in some parts of England Pub chain – hit by record loss of almost £200m – finds it hard to attract workers in holiday hotspots

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/oct/01/wetherspoons-struggles-to-find-staff-in-some-parts-of-england-record-loss

Wetherspoons suffers record loss as counts cost of lockdowns

https://news.sky.com/story/wetherspoons-suffers-record-loss-as-counts-cost-of-covid-19-lockdowns-12423007

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
49 minutes ago, wighty said:

Forget WFH. WFS work from Spoons.

Spoons are not all the same, the spoons near me is disgusting full of the dregs of humanity, the Spoons on Holloway Road an ex cinema is really nice, it is in effect an Irish family pub, I think it was called the Coronet before spoons acquired it

HOLA4419
4 minutes ago, shlomo said:

Spoons are not all the same, the spoons near me is disgusting full of the dregs of humanity, the Spoons on Holloway Road an ex cinema is really nice, it is in effect an Irish family pub, I think it was called the Coronet before spoons acquired it

Yes, I've found that.  What could be a nice community resource is often screwed up by a few.  

I imagine Spoons will do well out of the fact that a lot of their competition has gone bust though.

Edited by reddog

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
3 minutes ago, winkie said:

......and could even arrange to set some space aside for a group business breakfast or lunch......save on the cost of office space or conference room.;)

That's what I was thinking, anything better than f****** bean bags and oversized chairs