House Price Crash Forum

Roaring 20s - Spoons back in business

14 hours ago, 14stFlyer said:

Our ‘spoons is back to the good old days and full to capacity, even on a Monday. 

Went to the Ealing one yesterday. Great stuff - pint of Punk IPA and a tuna jacket for ~£6. Double-expresso coffee for 99p.

We love you Tim Martin!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Staffsknot said:

There's a lot of people on here banging on about lefties all posting a similar style and claiming not to vote Tory all of a sudden...

Just an observation

By a lot do you mean me? As I said I voted for them once (like most voters), believe it or not. I like how voting Tory is a badge of shame for the left. There's no credible alternative at the moment. I'm one of the first 100 members of HPC, and even then I pre-dated the current website where you have to register to post, I'm against HPI and unaffordable housing in general.

Edited by simon99

15 minutes ago, simon99 said:

By a lot do you mean me? As I said I voted for them once (like most voters), believe it or not. I like how voting Tory is a badge of shame for the left. There's no credible alternative at the moment. I'm one of the first 100 members of HPC, I predated the current website where you have to register to post, I'm against HPI and unaffordable housing in general.

You are one of about a dozen people banging on about lefties and it covers different posters multiple threads - you may be genuine but its all genuinely tedious too. Every bloody thread is either that or 'but what about Corbyn' if someone says the Gov are arsing things up.

No I didn't vote for Corbyn before that pops up.

Its just interesting to note the number of lefties being bad posts increases as Bojo et al messes up more or some reprecussion of things done by said Gov hits.

Just an observation as I said, bit like you assuming I'm a leftie because I pointed this out.

You are the one at pains to say 'I voted Tory once'

Edited by Staffsknot

29 minutes ago, Staffsknot said:

You are one of about a dozen people banging on about lefties and it covers different posters multiple threads - you may be genuine but its all genuinely tedious too. Every bloody thread is either that or 'but what about Corbyn' if someone says the Gov are arsing things up.

No I didn't vote for Corbyn before that pops up.

Its just interesting to note the number of lefties being bad posts increases as Bojo et al messes up more or some reprecussion of things done by said Gov hits.

Just an observation as I said, bit like you assuming I'm a leftie because I pointed this out.

You are the one at pains to say 'I voted Tory once'

Well I did vote for them once, if I didn't I'd say it, I don't care for any of them. I'd vote for them again tomorrow if there was GE, but I don't consider myself "Tory" for voting for what I consider the least worst option. 

I'm sure it is tedious for you, as is reading the constant diatribe of the Left is for everyone else. If I've wrongly assumed you're on the Left I apologize, are you not on the Left? I've been away from HPC for a while, I bought my house a few years back, but the latest spurt in HPI, lockdown, etc. gave me time and made me think to revisit an old forum I used to frequent to see what people made of it all. 

Edited by simon99

19 minutes ago, simon99 said:

Well I did vote for them once, if I didn't I'd say it, I don't care for any of them. I'd vote for them again tomorrow if there was GE, but I don't consider myself "Tory" for voting for what I consider the least worst option. 

I'm sure it is tedious for you, as is reading the constant diatribe of the Left is for everyone else. If I've wrongly assumed you're on the Left I apologize, are you not on the Left? I've been away from HPC for a while, I bought my house a few years back, but the latest spurt in HPI, lockdown, etc. gave me time and made me think to revisit an old forum I used to frequent to see what people made of it all. 

I am more centrist / pragmatist - I'd be left to an American but then so would Thatcher. I've been accused of being a Fascist, Maoist, Stalinist, Commie at points on here ( once by same poster separate days) so think that's centre.

See thread about Cummings which is now a bunfight of 'ooh terrible lefties' - which you yourself have contributed to with a bad lefties post, despite your hating of all these dross left v right things.

Its just interesting the post rate of lefties bad and Gov ineptitude seem linear. Often in threads possibly highlighting ineptitude or allegations thereof.

I make no assertions beyond those two things and the tedious derailing that occurs

5 minutes ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Genuine question, do you like a drink?

Yes, like most people. Is that Ok with you? It's years since I went to a 'Spoons though. If I was still a man about town I wouldn't be against going in to one.

Edited by simon99

6 minutes ago, Staffsknot said:

I am more centrist / pragmatist - I'd be left to an American but then so would Thatcher. I've been accused of being a Fascist, Maoist, Stalinist, Commie at points on here ( once by same poster separate days) so think that's centre.

See thread about Cummings which is now a bunfight of 'ooh terrible lefties' - which you yourself have contributed to with a bad lefties post, despite your hating of all these dross left v right things.

Its just interesting the post rate of lefties bad and Gov ineptitude seem linear. Often in threads possibly highlighting ineptitude or allegations thereof.

I make no assertions beyond those two things and the tedious derailing that occurs

Hating left v right things? I'm not sure what you mean by that , remind me. I generally post what I see. My observations are based on many years of debate with people in the real world and online.

14 minutes ago, simon99 said:

Hating left v right things? I'm not sure what you mean by that , remind me. I generally post what I see. My observations are based on many years of debate with people in the real world and online.

Cummings thread - Bruce pointed out who owns YouGov and straight in with 'I suppose the left...' not Labour, not opposition but 'the left'. Despite you not liking the left vs right pantomime...

As say all very dull seeing these things play out over and over. In the Cummings case as implies none of what said matters if doesn't impact a poll, like crowing about that as other posters did is a good look ( granted you did not join in that)

17 minutes ago, Staffsknot said:

Cummings thread - Bruce pointed out who owns YouGov and straight in with 'I suppose the left...' not Labour, not opposition but 'the left'. Despite you not liking the left vs right pantomime...

As say all very dull seeing these things play out over and over. In the Cummings case as implies none of what said matters if doesn't impact a poll, like crowing about that as other posters did is a good look ( granted you did not join in that)

I meant what do you mean by not liking the Left v Right pantomime? It's not something I remember saying. As I've said I generalize about the Left (and Right) and I use those terms, and I realize they are themselves generalizing. The point I was making there was that the poll is immediately discredited based on who is the YouGov founder, but I've seen YouGov polls referenced in many online debates by both the Left and Right to support their argument, and God don't ask me to find examples as I can't remember exactly where.

Edited by simon99

Here is an interesting about turn of sorts:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/06/01/wetherspoons-boss-calls-eu-migration-tackle-bar-staff-shortage/

Wetherspoons boss calls for more EU migration as bars and restaurants tackle staff shortage

Tim Martin says a "reasonably liberal immigration system" controlled by the UK - rather than the EU - will boost the economy

The Brexit-backing boss of JD Wetherspoon has urged Boris Johnson to introduce a visa scheme for EU workers as British pubs and restaurants struggle to recruit staff in the post-pandemic labour market squeeze

Tim Martin, an ardent Brexiteer, said the Government should introduce a visa system to alleviate some of the pressures on companies, suggesting that countries geographically closer to the UK could be given preferential treatment. 

The intervention came as pub and restaurant bosses warned they were being forced to shut sites during the crucial lunchtime trade due to a shortage of workers.  

7 hours ago, simon99 said:

I meant what do you mean by not liking the Left v Right pantomime? It's not something I remember saying. As I've said I generalize about the Left (and Right) and I use those terms, and I realize they are themselves generalizing. The point I was making there was that the poll is immediately discredited based on who is the YouGov founder, but I've seen YouGov polls referenced in many online debates by both the Left and Right to support their argument, and God don't ask me to find examples as I can't remember exactly where.

Your intervention here calling out 'lefties' for snobbery and the infantile judgementalism and then have been posting about lefties almost every post I have seen from your good self. Your posts are pretty much peppered with this infantile bad lefties since your evident return.

As I say its as dull as the Daily Mail comments section anytime Johnson messes up again. 

Its almost like folks want to blame 'the lefties' for Tory shitshow failings instead of facing up to the actual reality of the situation

28 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

countries geographically closer to the UK could be given preferential treatment.

Tim only wants low paid French and Spanish workers, not low paid Estonians evidently.

How predictable he'd not thought things through, bit like telling staff no furlough meant they got new jobs instead.

Heard something interesting from a friend in Devon, village up in arms at LL who served notice on tenant who is not in arrears. Apparently had holiday lets and turfed this tenant to make another - letting pages listed great local gastropub - she is evicting its chef... 

Edited by Staffsknot

10 hours ago, dryrot said:

Went to the Ealing one yesterday. Great stuff - pint of Punk IPA and a tuna jacket for ~£6. Double-expresso coffee for 99p.

We love you Tim Martin!

That's why I like 'spoons, cheap grub and beer. 

Beer is a third of the cost compared with my nearest pub.

But nowhere to sit outside.

48 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/06/01/wetherspoons-boss-calls-eu-migration-tackle-bar-staff-shortage/

Wetherspoons boss calls for more EU migration as bars and restaurants tackle staff shortage

Tim Martin says a "reasonably liberal immigration system" controlled by the UK - rather than the EU - will boost the economy

The Brexit-backing boss of JD Wetherspoon has urged Boris Johnson to introduce a visa scheme for EU workers as British pubs and restaurants struggle to recruit staff in the post-pandemic labour market squeeze

Tim Martin, an ardent Brexiteer, said the Government should introduce a visa system to alleviate some of the pressures on companies, suggesting that countries geographically closer to the UK could be given preferential treatment. 

The intervention came as pub and restaurant bosses warned they were being forced to shut sites during the crucial lunchtime trade due to a shortage of workers.  

You couldn't make it up.

Tim Martin was massively in favour of Brexit, and beer prices were going to fall etc etc.

Anyway there's lots of shop workers available after the bloodbath on the high street.

50 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Aren’t U.K. bar staff salaries going up to attract talent? I thought that was half the reason for Brexit— low skilled wages going up now the EU workers have left!

1 hour ago, Staffsknot said:

Your intervention here calling out 'lefties' for snobbery and the infantile judgementalism and then have been posting about lefties almost every post I have seen from your good self. Your posts are pretty much peppered with this infantile bad lefties since your evident return.

As I say its as dull as the Daily Mail comments section anytime Johnson messes up again. 

Its almost like folks want to blame 'the lefties' for Tory shitshow failings instead of facing up to the actual reality of the situation

And what's wrong with me calling it out? I think it's good to call these things out. What do you want a back slapping fest of one narrow opinion on a public forum? It's no duller or infantile than when it's the other way round. 

Again you didn't answer the question, you seem to be criticizing me for using the term Left despite me apparently "not liking the left v right pantomime", which is news to me,  as if it's somehow hypocritical to do so. As I've said, I use the terms Left and Right frequently.

The Tories are shit, like the rest, I don't support any of them. What reality am I not facing here?

6 minutes ago, simon99 said:

The Tories are shit, like the rest, I don't support any of them.

You voted for them and earlier you tried to say I was a leftie and voting Tory was a badge of shame for people like me.

Now you're saying they're shite. 

Nobody is asking for backslapping posts that's your own fallacy but I made a simple observation there's a lot of folks jumping on shouting about 'lefties' all of a sudden and you were in like Flynn. Your post on this thread was about lefties snobbery and judgementalism and how they are hypocrites, which I took as an inditement of the pantomiming. Actually looks like you just wanted a rant at 'lefties'.

Also for the supposed even handed approach you criticised lefties but not right wingers, you named the party. Another obs there - one is all left wing folk generalisation, the other just critical of a party. Haven't seen any 'the problem with right wingers' posts from yourself.

41 minutes ago, Staffsknot said:

You voted for them and earlier you tried to say I was a leftie and voting Tory was a badge of shame for people like me.

Now you're saying they're shite. 

Nobody is asking for backslapping posts that's your own fallacy but I made a simple observation there's a lot of folks jumping on shouting about 'lefties' all of a sudden and you were in like Flynn. Your post on this thread was about lefties snobbery and judgementalism and how they are hypocrites, which I took as an inditement of the pantomiming. Actually looks like you just wanted a rant at 'lefties'.

Also for the supposed even handed approach you criticised lefties but not right wingers, you named the party. Another obs there - one is all left wing folk generalisation, the other just critical of a party. Haven't seen any 'the problem with right wingers' posts from yourself.

Yes, they are shit, like every other option. I said I voted Tory once because they were the least worst option, that doesn't make me a "Tory".  The point about the badge of shame is that when people say they don't vote Tory you don't believe it, as if it's such a terrible thing to have done, sorry if I misunderstood this or wrongly thought you were Leftie, I make mistakes like anyone else.

Do you not think I had a point when calling it out? Do you not see any hypocrisy or generalization of folk?

I comment on what I want, not what you want, I'm not the opinion police, You can call out the Right if you choose. Can you honestly and objectively read the first page of this thread and only find fault in my post? 

I see the sanctimonious moralizing, illogical thinking and hypocrisy coming from the Left, so I comment on it. I'm not here to give a "balanced" view, I'm here to give mine. I don't have to comment on all the issues and different schools of thought to appease anyone.

Edited by simon99

2 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

:D Who would have thought that our working tax credits would have been subsidising immigrant worker pay and therefore big business profits so thoroughly? 

19 minutes ago, simon99 said:

Can you honestly and objectively read the first page of this thread and only find fault in my post? 

Everyone else talking about Spoons punch up - yours was only one ascribing leftie or rightie.

Even the talk of Brexshiteers isn't left / right as it crossed party lines.

You don't have to post for my benefit but like I said its telling how much deflective shite has appeared as posts about how shite the gov are doing appear.

Also you instantly ascribed every poster not liking Spoons or Scunthorpe as being a Leftie by that idea same as anyone going on about Johnson and his wallpaper. Assumption and all that, kind of a hypocritical generalization don't you think? My god you must be a Leftie!

See how its nonesense and far from a thread of guaranteed lefties being snobby lefties there was one post on Brexiteers and bang you were in branding everyone a snob leftie... I'm centreist and I think most Spoons are dives and Martin is a massive tool.

But yeah its Lefties... maybe you came to this thread with the attitude of what the posts were preformed not what was written.

.....one thing importing cheaper goods for consumption made elsewhere, making the best use from tax and vat....but those that live here will now only work on their terms, got to be worth their while, got rent and bills to pay.

High turnover of staff, fill in job.....not seen as a career that will offer hope and long-term security for the future.;)

58 minutes ago, Staffsknot said:

Everyone else talking about Spoons punch up - yours was only one ascribing leftie or rightie.

Even the talk of Brexshiteers isn't left / right as it crossed party lines.

You don't have to post for my benefit but like I said its telling how much deflective shite has appeared as posts about how shite the gov are doing appear.

Also you instantly ascribed every poster not liking Spoons or Scunthorpe as being a Leftie by that idea same as anyone going on about Johnson and his wallpaper. Assumption and all that, kind of a hypocritical generalization don't you think? My god you must be a Leftie!

See how its nonesense and far from a thread of guaranteed lefties being snobby lefties there was one post on Brexiteers and bang you were in branding everyone a snob leftie... I'm centreist and I think most Spoons are dives and Martin is a massive tool.

But yeah its Lefties... maybe you came to this thread with the attitude of what the posts were preformed not what was written.

I doubt me posting on here deflects from the governments failings, they deserve to be pulled up on their them. I've seen posts from some of them on other threads, not just this one.  So it's just me the immature one, ok. Well on that bombshell let's leave it there and spare everyone the tedium of this conversation.

Edited by simon99

14 minutes ago, simon99 said:

I doubt me posting on here deflects from the governments failings, they deserve to be pulled up on their them. I've seen posts from some of them on other threads, not just this one.  So it's just me the immature one, ok. Well on that bombshell let's leave it there and spare everyone the tedium of this conversation.

Could just save everyone the tedium of the lefties are x stuff too.

But yeah let's just leave it there