House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Blek

Inventory Agreement

In my contract it states that the inventory should be returned to the agency no sooner that 7 days from date of tenancy agreement.

So I looked through the inventory and noticed the landlord had rated the property as an A. However, the previous tenant had been drilling holes all over the place for speakers, cable tv, sat tv etc. Plus there were marks all over the walls as well as a few inventory items missing.

So I updated the inventory sheet and handed it back in. Its been over three months and despite me continiously asking for a updated copy, the agency have yet to comply with my request.

In fact, I'm so pissed off with the lack of professionalism from the agency, I intend to go and give termination notice in this week. My only issue is that they may try to screw me out of my deposit and I don't have an up to date inventory. I will try to get them to sign a letter stating that they did receive an updated inventory list with the time frame but have yet to give me a copy, but failing that, is there anything else I can do? I have a log of all the emails sent between the agency and myself regarding the inventory.

Did you sign the inventory?

If you sue them they will lose, if they attempt to with-hold the deposit. The reason is twofold:

- An inventory completed any time after a tenant has moved in is essentially useless.

- As you have corrected the inventory, any inventory without these corrections on is again completely useless, as you will not have signed it, and without a tenant signature an inventory is useless.

Just for point of note for future reference. An inventory is PURELY for the benefit of the landlord. Any landlord who is stupid enough not to sit and go through the inventory with you as a tenant at the commencement of a tenancy deserves whatever they get. If a landlord asks you to later send an inventory back, don't bother!