House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sich

Google

How about google as a buy after recent drops. It seems to have lost its popularity and I'm thinking its far better value now. Surely its the new Microsoft.

Any thoughts ?

How about google as a buy after recent drops. It seems to have lost its popularity and I'm thinking its far better value now. Surely its the new Microsoft.

Any thoughts ?

Yes. Never catch a falling knife.

yes, I know.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm.../ixcitytop.html

Lucky I only had a small punt.

Perhaps if I click on enough ads I will get my losses back.

Glad to hear you didn't get stung too badly, hey if it makes you feel better I was holding Platinum last week I'd bought in at 1070, by 1035 I wasn't a very happy bunny, luckily I cut my losses before it crapped out to below 1000.

Everything seems to be bearish at the moment, BUT alot of things don't look expensive enough to short with confidence. I might just have a quiet week of it I think.

I'm going to purchase some becuase I heard they have taken a Linux OS and are rebundling it as a serious rival to Windows for a fraction of the price. Only someone like Google who has the branding, goodwill, cash and expertise to pull this off imo and these linux OS are open source which other IT companies are taking and polishing off, another example being postgres and pervasive.

Talking to a number of colleagues we expect this to have a rapid take up becuase of the lack of a serious contender to M$ although now that Apple have annouced they will run on the x86 intel platforms we may not see 1 new OS in the future but two!

I heard about this strategy, and I can't help but think they're mental.

I'm a software developer who uses linux at home, linux at work, and have done for the last few years.

Unless they've done a serious amount of secret development and testing on linux (I believe it's Ubuntu, which I also favour) then they are going to be inundated with complaints that can be summed up in one evocative phrase:

"Why won't Timmy's game work?"

It might have rapid takeup, but people will be disappointed and won't begin to understand what they've got. Have you tried explaining what an operating system is to people? Let alone explain why Excel isn't on their PC anymore...

But then, I thought eBay would never work.

I wouldn't buy Google, because barriers to entry are so low in IT systems that buying into such a company with such a high P/E ratio is effectively a crap shoot.

But google have brand and brains. It's a punt.

Lucky me, looks like I bought at the bottom (if you'll excuse the reference to earlier lavatorial postings). Question now is when to sell. I'm under no illusions whatsoever that, long run, its daft. But punting on the herding instincts of Americans seems a reasonable strategy in the short/medium term.

Lucky me, looks like I bought at the bottom (if you'll excuse the reference to earlier lavatorial postings). Question now is when to sell. I'm under no illusions whatsoever that, long run, its daft. But punting on the herding instincts of Americans seems a reasonable strategy in the short/medium term.

Who needs rhetorical questions anyway?

Sold up at a 20% profit in the end, so you can all stop clicking away at the adverts. Thanks.