House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
deus ex machina

Ice Age

Dear Bears,

It comes slowly, inexorably, relentlessly but above all, imperceptibly. And then, one dismal day you realise it was as if the world had always been thus..... grey, futile and just a little desperate. HPCs and the attendant recession are terrible things to wish for but come they do. And this one, if I read the augurs well, is plum smack square where we were at circa June 1990. But then the only folk in hock to the banks were the 100,000 small businesses that ultimately went to the wall.

Now, it seems a quarter of the workforce are hostage to that ill fortune.

Interesting times but not ones in which I care to share with the proto stalinists that have placed us all in such jeopardy. Why on earth do we periodically indulge ourselves in that bizarre masochism masquerading as a Labour government when we know it always, always screws up?

NuLabour offered the same things as Old Labour: a utopian paradise without sacrifice. This time around it was HPI/MEW and its ended up as a disaster. NuLabour managed to hijack the "middle class" vote by offering unlimited cash from ever increasing HPI but when it all goes horribly wrong that same middle class will go back to voting for their natural party of choice.

NuLabour offered the same things as Old Labour: a utopian paradise without sacrifice. This time around it was HPI/MEW and its ended up as a disaster. NuLabour managed to hijack the "middle class" vote by offering unlimited cash from ever increasing HPI but when it all goes horribly wrong that same middle class will go back to voting for their natural party of choice.

what this lot did differently is that they privatised large tranches of deficit financing. Whereas the state used to borrow borrow borrow to keep the project afloat, now it is the public aka the "consumer"

I'm leftist, but Thatcherite tendencies are slowly emerging in me that are causing me some concern! Mainly to do with the vast number of subsidised layabouts contrasted against the numbers of struggling working folk.