House Price Crash Forum
ExeC

My Future

It feels now like i have FAR less money to spend than lets say i did in 1998. I feel that the money i have no gets me far less than it would 7 years ago.

All of this i assume is because of the raises in prices for everything we use. (lets exclude chinese crap for the moment).

Isnt it now going to be far harder for the government to catch all this mess up as a simple 3% -> 8% rise on anything these days is going to be massive, as the previous rises over the past 6-7 years have been so high.

Im finding it very hard to explain what i mean.

My girlfriend and i earn average wages and have 1 child (we are 23+25 years old).

After all our costs (and food) each month we pay out 2.1k a month and we only bring in 2.2k between us.

We have a couple of luxurys, Internet, Telephone, Sky+, sofa and an engagement ring im paying off. other than that its basically cost for living.

What scares me is if prices continue to rise by the non covered up rates like 14% on council tax etc, how are people like us expected to live ?

We want to have a 2nd child, if people like us cant afford to do these kind of things in life what on earth is it going to be like in the future.

We rent, cant afford to save, we cant afford to have a child, we cant afford to get married (i can barely afford the engagement ring), we cant afford to buy a house, we cant afford to save a pension for our old age, it costs my girfriend £2000 a year to go on a train to work, it costs me more in my car. Im trying my hardest to pay for lessons so my girlfriend can have independance and learn to drive also.

I've avoided using too much credit or credit cards.

I just cant see how the general couple like me and my girlfiend will solvantly be able to survive in the future.

Are we expected to cut the little things in our lives to afford to actully live ?

Disconnect my sky TV and pay for a weekly shop ?

Disconnect my telephone so i pay for 1 weeks fuel ?

No internet, my generation dont deserve to be able to afford it?

I must rent, because home ownership is a privlage for the hippy generation not a right for the 80's child ?

We should start looking for a loan to have a child ?

Marrage is just a piece of paper anyway...

I sit here looking at my finances, and i try my hardest to figure out what to do, apart from getting a 2nd job at weekends, theres nothing.

Sorry about the rant.

Sounds like the reason my father emigrated from the UK in the early 1960's and why many are leaving again recently. The false hope brought by HPI and the "miracle economy" has benefited very few in a tangible way. Most OOs are no better off with HPI but those who do not own a home are a LOT worse off. The only beneficiaries of the miracle economy are the lenders and speculators who had the sense to get out before the market turned.

This is one of the best posts yet--sums it all up doesn't it?

Edited by Realistbear

Sounds like the reason my father emigrated from the UK in the early 1960's and why many are leaving again recently. The false hope brought by HPI and the "miracle economy" has benefited very few in a tangible way. Most OOs are no better off with HPI but those who do not own a home are a LOT worse off. The only beneficiaries of the miracle economy are the lenders and speculators who had the sense to get out before the market turned.

This argument came up with my parents and they were saying how the economy was saved by Mr Brown...How so? who is better off? This country has gone insane! My parents were actually complaining about their £400 a month mortgage on a house valued at £250k!! (4 bed detached). I certianly dont think they are in a position to comment, i wonder how many people who go on about this economic miracle are as out of touch as my parents.

You have probably just summed up the life of many young couples in the UK today.

While those lucky enogh to buy property before 2000 have been having a party for the last 5 years the rest of the UK have been looking on in wonder trying to figure out why, if the economy is doing so good and everything is getting cheaper, they didn't get an invite.

You are not alone and there are many in a worse situation than you are (I know that doesn't help)

BUT your situation does highlight just what is propping up the economy at the moment...credit and very little else.

EDIT

My OH is a strong Labour supporter. He is strongly in favour of a strong economy, Tax Credits, reducing child poverty and the minimum wage and so am I. But where we differ is "has it been achieved?". My other half will state the reduction in child poverty, the rising employment figures etc etc. Then I say to him "look around you..where is it? where are the people who are better off?" he can't answer. Then I point out to him that we are both highly qualified and in decent jobs with good prospects but our standard of living is worse than it was 5 years ago. "Why is that"? ..he can't answer.

I can tell you exactly why it is. It is because their has been a distribution of income and wealth. Unfortunately this distribtuion has not been from the rich to the poor. It has been from the 'reasonably comfortable' to the 'reasonably poor'

At one end of the spectrum the rich are getting richer (£1 million bonuses, bling bling etc)

At the other end of the spectrum the poor are getting poorer. (Why have we still got people living on the streets? Why are so many poor kids still failing at school? Why have we still go elderly people living in damp/crap housing)

Because GB has not redistribtued wealth...he has just shifted it around in the middle.

Not good enough Gordon. If you haven't got the bottle to go the whole way and redistribute wealth properly then sod off and leave middle/working class alone.

Edited by 2005

Exec,

You and a hundreds of thousands/millions of others. Those that have not had childen yet and think that maxing out on a mortgage is the route to economic nirvana are going to be sorely disapponted unless their salaries rocket.

Treat saving money like a game and try to enjoy it.

Realistbear is right though, there are better lives to be lived abroad if you have the temperament/luck to get around specific employment/language/cultural issues.

If you are both working, who is looking after the baby? Is that a cost?

Maybe the way to look at it is to go through everything you spend month by month and see where you could economise or chage how you do things. Do you have mobile phones? could you change the contract? could you change your gas/electricity siupplier. Is there somewhere less expensive to live? (There may be some places to rent which you could give a lick of paint to?)

Do you get child benefit? can you apply for any other help?

Can one of you get a better paid job?

Just random thoughts.

It feels now like i have FAR less money to spend than lets say i did in 1998. I feel that the money i have no gets me far less than it would 7 years ago.

All of this i assume is because of the raises in prices for everything we use. (lets exclude chinese crap for the moment).

Isnt it now going to be far harder for the government to catch all this mess up as a simple 3% -> 8% rise on anything these days is going to be massive, as the previous rises over the past 6-7 years have been so high.

My girlfriend and i earn average wages and have 1 child (we are 23+25 years old).

After all our costs (and food) each month we pay out 2.1k a month and we only bring in 2.2k between us.

We have a couple of luxurys, Internet, Telephone, Sky+, sofa and an engagement ring im paying off. other than that its basically cost for living.

What scares me is if prices continue to rise by the non covered up rates like 14% on council tax etc, how are people like us expected to live ?

We want to have a 2nd child, if people like us cant afford to do these kind of things in life what on earth is it going to be like in the future.

We rent, cant afford to save, we cant afford to have a child, we cant afford to get married (i can barely afford the engagement ring), we cant afford to buy a house, we cant afford to save a pension for our old age, it costs my girfriend £2000 a year to go on a train to work, it costs me more in my car. Im trying my hardest to pay for lessons so my girlfriend can have independance and learn to drive also.

I just cant see how the general couple like me and my girlfiend will solvantly be able to survive in the future.

Are we expected to cut the little things in our lives to afford to actully live ?

I must rent, because home ownership is a privlage for the hippy generation not a right for the 80's child ?

I sit here looking at my finances, and i try my hardest to figure out what to do, apart from getting a 2nd job at weekends, theres nothing.

Sorry about the rant.

Sounds similar to the situation my girlfriend and I are in at the moment, except that our ages are 29 and 25. I tried an evening job three nights a week, but it started to effect my ability to do my first job so gave it up.

I share your frustrations, just hope that the situation gets better.

Bluechutes

If you are both working, who is looking after the baby? Is that a cost?

Maybe the way to look at it is to go through everything you spend month by month and see where you could economise or chage how you do things. Do you have mobile phones? could you change the contract? could you change your gas/electricity siupplier. Is there somewhere less expensive to live? (There may be some places to rent which you could give a lick of paint to?)

Do you get child benefit? can you apply for any other help?

Can one of you get a better paid job?

Just random thoughts.

We have a childminder to look after her while we work yes included in the cost.

Ive done everything to cut down costs in finance, excluding as i said a couple of luxurys which i listed.

We had child tax credits only to get a letter 2 years later saying we were over paid £2000 we we owe back, which of course we no longer get.

"Can one of you get a better paid job?" - Bit of a silly question really.

-ExeC

Sounds similar to the situation my girlfriend and I are in at the moment, except that our ages are 29 and 25. I tried an evening job three nights a week, but it started to effect my ability to do my first job so gave it up.

I share your frustrations, just hope that the situation gets better.

Bluechutes

Similar situation here (both 23, no kids though), i just got a new job though an my contract says i am not allowed to do any other job whilst in this one :|

Sorry about the rant.

get your missis to give up work and claim shes a lone parent if your names not on the baby birth cert or maybe a more realistic alternative is to do some night course and get a higher paying job.

An example of the hard working families so dear to Tony Blair's heart and whom he promised to help.

The man, from his priviledged background and now in his insulated bubble at the top, just has no clue.

Send your rant to your local MP, whichever Party, to your local paper, email it to Tony Blair's office, Gordon Brown's office.

Or develop "stress", have another 6 children and sign on to the State.

Sorry about the rant.

In 1 thing you are right - you need to earn more.

There's little point trying to make too many savings without earning more as your quality of life would be too depressing.

So either get that weekend job or change your existing jobs. You're young enough to rough it for a couple of years. I'm not sure what you're expecting financially at 23 and 25. As far as I can rememberI earnt just enough to save to buy my next set of work clothes. I set myself the target of earning 25% more each year - and you'll only get that through promotion or applying for a new job entirely. Have you asked for more responsibility at work - prove you can do a better job and then ask for more money.

Buck up - you could be living in Iraq or Somalia or Afghanistan or Albania or any of the hundreds of countries where life is really tough.

what a putz you are steve

someone has to do these jobs, infact a big majority in this country do.

not everyone can be the exception to the rule so there will always be people a large majority on his kind of wages, are you trying to say they should all get an income boost together ?

While those lucky enogh to buy property before 2000 have been having a party for the last 5 years

Indeed, but it'll prove rather ephemeral, most parties end in a big hangover and all those who have freely borrowed against their property will need to pay it all back with real money.

The OP sums up perfectly the prospects for people in this country, they can skew statistics and spin things but they can't change the harsh reality of life today.

Situation sounds very familiar, although not the same as my own.

I'm 23 single rent with a couple of mates I'm moving back to my parents in a month to regroup and plan a better attack on this cash thing. My wage inflation was dismal this year so I looking elsewhere already.

I think skills are massively (sorry for use of the word massive) important nowadays. You have to prove you can do more than your fellow employees. This is the only way to assure wage inflation, through promotion.

You need to be better qualified, harder working and younger than the people you work with. The two most important of these factors are in your own hands (you cannot make yourself younger). If you fail on these basics you will grow poorer for the next few years. It's dog eat dog.

I can appreciate it must be much, much harder with children.

Do you go to work in opposite directions?

It may be wise to move nearer even if one of you takes a job on less money

Sounds like you spend two months wages commuting.

Sorry about the rant.

In my opinion you have got it wrong – every generation has had it better than the last – it wasn’t that long ago that you would have got a orange for Christmas (like my mum did).

The future always looks bad – governments always borrow more than they should – they always print too much money – and they usually pick a war with someone if an excuse is given

I don’t think you have ever been drafted to war or ever charged out of a trench for king and country

The younger generations don’t know how good they have got it

I don’t think you even like oranges

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Indeed, but it'll prove rather ephemeral, most parties end in a big hangover and all those who have freely borrowed against their property will need to pay it all back with real money.

I am surprised at the number of people I have come across in that position who MEWed a 100k+ to buy their dream holiday home in Spain. We are going to let it out and that will more or less pay the extra mortgage. Sadly there are more holiday homes to let than people to fill them according to a mate who bought his for cash 25 years ago. He says in his area they are going up for sale in masses and he can see the desperation in a lot of the sellers. They are cutting their letting prices in a desperate attempt to generate some income until they are lucky enough to get a sale. :(

Sorry about the rant.

I seem to remember almost everyone I knew, who wanted their own home in the seventies and eighties, either had a second job or worked pots of overtime, including weekends, to achieve their goal. Strangly enough most of those I know who took the easy option and didn't are still renting today!

Edited by ILikeBigBoobs

In my opinion you have got it wrong – every generation has had it better than the last

********. Today's kids are the first generation in decades who are looking at a lower standard of living than their parents.

This is one of the best posts yet--sums it all up doesn't it?

Me too. I have stopped posting as much, and am now looking at emigration, ( good old expats ) as the only way to move my life forward.

In my opinion you have got it wrong – every generation has had it better than the last – it wasn’t that long ago that you would have got a orange for Christmas (like my mum did).

Yes, I am sure the average Christmas present is way better today than it has ever been. So what?

My dad grew up in the 1950s and 60s. His father (grandpa frugalista, left school at 14) was a lorry driver and occasional electrician. They owned their own house (a 3-bed semi in a London suburb), had a family car, a TV, and took foreign holidays. Grandma frugalista chose to stay at home and be a homemaker.

Can you imagine that today? The things that count in life were cheaper back then for the average person.

frugalista

I seem to remember almost everyone I knew, who wanted their own home in the seventies and eighties, either had a second job or worked pots of overtime, including weekends, to achieve their goal. Strangly enough most of those I know who took the easy option and didn't are still renting today!

Well in the borough where I live the average house is 12.6 times the average salary. I'm pretty sure that was not the case in the seventies or eighties.