House Price Crash Forum

Council Tax Increases 1997 - 2004

HOLA441

I was just shredding some old paperwork prior to leaving the UK, and I found some stuff that might interest some of you -

council tax on a 1 bed flat in Notting Hill Gate W11 in 1998 = £30 a month (roughly).

Council tax on similar flat in 2005 =

(wait for it)

(wait for it!)

£120 a month!!!

It's roughly quadrupled in that time. Low inflation my sweaty cods.

HOLA442
HOLA443

People will realise how much inflation there has been when they go bankrupt or realise they have no money for anything at the end of each month.

A lot of the "cheap goods" are merely inferior quality or downright rubbish.

The BOE are living and economic lie, worse they are foisting the same lie onto the general population.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I don't believe taxes are included, no. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable could confirm this.

All I can see is that it's quadrupled, the quality of services has, if anything fallen in that area (rather drastically, as a matter of fact - just another reason we moved out), and people keep paying.

Why? Because their houses have tripled in value over the same period. I suspect a lot of the twatty 'meeja' types in the area secretly LIKE paying high council taxes - it reinforces their belief that they have 'arrived' and allows them to bleat at sushi-dinner-snack-party-soirees that 'oh, it's such a grind living in NHG, what with the high taxes, all the American Bankers, and tourists looing for teh 'blue door'...

And it confirms that they didn't do something REALLY stupid last year when they handed over £500,000 for a 1.3 bed 'apartment' in the badlands down the bottom of the Portobello Rd - The council tax is so high, the flat MUST be worth that much!

hahahah

HOLA446

mass non-payment of council tax is definetly not far off, councils in there very nature will keep wanting more and more, just as they keep talking about funding problems and revenue shortages.

To the point people will not pay, i think were already at that point.

so i dont pay and wont

HOLA447
HOLA448

I think it's high time the shit hit the fan over inflation. The government should be forced to base it on real things proportionate to what real people spend on those things... gas, electric, water, council tax, food, housing, etc. and that should be the figure they quote as the rate of inflation and the benchmark by which wage increases should be set. Living in this country is fast becoming a financially unviable joke, albeit one that isn't funny. National strike anyone?

HOLA449