Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Huge shortage of staff to work in hospitality from next week due to brexit and locals not wanting to do the work as better off on benefits?


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Insane said:

That has had a stop put on it. The maximum a household can now get is £23,000

Nope:

Am I exempt from the Benefit Cap?

You are exempt from the Benefit Cap if:

  • You are claiming Universal Credit and you (and your partner) earn at least the amount you would get for 16 hours per week on National Living Wage
  • You are claiming Housing Benefit and you (and your partner) work enough hours to qualify for Working Tax Credit
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Insane said:

I find it hard to believe that the locals are better of on Benefits. This is an urban myth that they love to trot out and give the impression that the locals are living high on the hog with their feet up getting massive amounts of money from the Government. 

Yes we can all find examples of certain people who have carved a life out of living on Benefits and doing a bit on the side, but generally get to a certain age and even those low paid jobs do not want you. 

I went to a (non) job centre once did not get a penny was treated like dirt , they demanded to know what I was doing to look for work but at the same time one staff member told me at 49 I was not getting another job. I think the people who work in these places go on Rudeness courses and many of them have passed with flying colours. 

A better title might be AGESIEM is the problem not LAZY Locals. 

Maybe not better off on benefits, but in many cases better of on furlough.

No commuting costs, no child care costs, lunch is cheaper at home, etc.

More than 30% of working population in Newquay, Cornwall are still on furlough!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spyguy said:

McDonald’s raises wages for US staff as it struggles to find workers

Burger chain is latest to increase pay as job openings in the country reach record high

https://www.ft.com/content/da9dd7e5-50f2-43ef-aae4-e9eb19f4fc29

This is how markets work.

Not like the fwittery of the last 40 years, as CEOs pay goes up 30x but joeplebs goes down.

Oh dear, need to do something about that, can't have wages increasing! Your burger and fries will be more expensive, demand this is stopped! You like cheap stuff don't you, don't want to go back to when everything was too expensive!

Only applicable to other peoples' wages, not your own.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

“I’m not going back,” she said. “I don’t want to go through that again. The idea of moving to Britain appals me.”

Living in Britain is just like living in Nazi Germany so Twitter has told me :) Worse in fact, Hitler paid for his own wallpaper.

I enjoy that the Guardian journos are still spitting about Brexit and the failure of their Momentum experiment. Spitting so severely that they've trotted out examples of several (yes, a single digit number) of people affected in each example where people who used to just rock up to an ope door, and who have found that just opening it and wandering in has caused the owner to now exclaim "who dafuq ru?"

I'm glad work is being done at immigration. I'd be quite vexed had these illegal immigrants just passed through as before. Happy to pay an extra 30p for strawberrys too to cover the local market wages for fruit pickers that they'll now have to be paid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, skinnylattej said:

Maybe not better off on benefits, but in many cases better of on furlough.

No commuting costs, no child care costs, lunch is cheaper at home, etc.

More than 30% of working population in Newquay, Cornwall are still on furlough!

Agreed but if Furlough comes to an end which one day it will those people will go back to their jobs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Freki said:

At 1.3k the cost of nursery per month coming out of your net salary, you are trading fairly even.

45k means 2.85k a month net, deduct nursery costs, you have 1.5k left to pay rent, food, bills, transport. Childcare is a massive issue in this country, and nobody talks about it. 

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/04/these-countries-have-the-most-expensive-childcare/

UK, more than twice as expensive as other OECD when used as %age of net income. 

 

You do get tax relief for childcare if both parents work and both earn under £100k. Also, in the last year you 30 free hours term time, although you do have to pay a top up.

The best way to do it is to reduce how much you work, say a three day week and only do childcare for those days. That's what me and the Mrs are doing, and we have two kids now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Nope:

Yep 

The poster I answered said he knew a single mother staying at home to look after her baby getting £45,000 a year the Benefit Cap would apply to people like her. There are always exceptions but the truth is many people who in the past had no cap are now capped. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to know how these people get 10s of thousands in benefits, i can't even get the dss to back date NI contributions back years for me let alone claim anything.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, longgone said:

I would love to know how these people get 10s of thousands in benefits, i can't even get the dss to back date NI contributions back years for me let alone claim anything.

 

 

 

You need to have something wrong with you, can't you pay to get an official Asperger's or autism diagnosis or something? I've thought about it myself. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep being told that mass migration has zero effect on pay and conditions. If that is the case, why are businesses and the Guardian making a fuss?

Employers will be able to offer exactly the same pay and conditions to locals and have no problem filling vacancies.

If employers are forced to offer higher pay and better terms to attract staff, those who claim freedom of movement and mass migration has no impact on the labour market will be proved wrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jason said:

 

You do get tax relief for childcare if both parents work and both earn under £100k. Also, in the last year you 30 free hours term time, although you do have to pay a top up.

The best way to do it is to reduce how much you work, say a three day week and only do childcare for those days. That's what me and the Mrs are doing, and we have two kids now.

The big problem with child care (which also makes no sense) is that it becomes affordable via 30 free hours only once the child has turned 3. I’m not sure what logic is being applied there, I must be thick and am missing it? So from 1 year to 3 years the costs are insane.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mattyboy1973 said:

If people are better off on benefits than working for you, then you are not paying enough.

Every time you hear an employer bleat that they "cannot recruit anybody", there is a part missing from the end of the sentence: "..for the wages we are offering.". There isn't a job in the land that can't be filled tomorrow if the price is right. 

+1

Their supply of slave labour has dried up.  Boo boo.  Pay decent wages or shut up shop.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Tiger131 said:

You need to have something wrong with you, can't you pay to get an official Asperger's or autism diagnosis or something? I've thought about it myself. 

Maybe i do already, i do have problems conforming to the bullchit society that has been created the last 20 years.

I can see why many check out of the rat race.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Insane said:

Yep 

The poster I answered said he knew a single mother staying at home to look after her baby getting £45,000 a year the Benefit Cap would apply to people like her. There are always exceptions but the truth is many people who in the past had no cap are now capped. 

The poster you were replying to said the mother was earning £45k before she quit to look after her child, not that she was getting £45k in benefits.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dorkins said:

Nope:

Am I exempt from the Benefit Cap?

You are exempt from the Benefit Cap if:

  • You are claiming Universal Credit and you (and your partner) earn at least the amount you would get for 16 hours per week on National Living Wage
  • You are claiming Housing Benefit and you (and your partner) work enough hours to qualify for Working Tax Credit

The thing is, we have had a Tory only government since 2015.  They talk tough, but don't actually do anything with a large majority.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Huggy said:

I enjoy that the Guardian journos are still spitting about Brexit and the failure of their Momentum experiment.

Guardian journos (especially the older ones who decide the editorial line) are affluent London homeowners and always hated Momentum and Corbyn. No doubt a lot of them are BTLers. The Guardian wants New Labour back.

Edited by Dorkins
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

The poster you were replying to said the mother was earning £45k before she quit to look after her child, not that she was getting £45k in benefits.

You're correct my bad I read it wrong , the poster failed to tell us how much benefits was paying her. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Insane said:

You're correct my bad I read it wrong , the poster failed to tell us how much benefits was paying her. 

I don't know, but as I mentioned 1.3k is extortionate.  I bring up this subject and I see apathy all around. 

Child benefit is now 21.15 quid a week, an extra 14 per extra child. If you earn more than 50k, you quickly get nothing. As I showed earlier at 50k, the cost of nursery makes it hardly interesting to keep on working. But hey, it seems everyone around here find that paying the equivalent of minimum wage is a good deal, I guess I live in a different world.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Freki said:

Child benefit is now 21.15 quid a week, an extra 14 per extra child. If you earn more than 50k, you quickly get nothing. As I showed earlier at 50k, the cost of nursery makes it hardly interesting to keep on working. But hey, it seems everyone around here find that paying the equivalent of minimum wage is a good deal, I guess I live in a different world.

Well it is what I call the middle poverty trap. Two people earning £49,500 get child benefit if just one parent works and hits the £50k they get nothing. Since the £50k limit on earnings came in 2013 the £50k has not been index linked so more and more people lose the benefit. 

There are so many twists and turns in the benefits/tax system and I have heard politicians saying our system is not fit for purpose for the last four decades but no one has ever sorted it, they just change a few rules around the edges. 

Child care costs are barmy many people are only able to work as they get free child care from grandparents. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, btl_hater said:

The big problem with child care (which also makes no sense) is that it becomes affordable via 30 free hours only once the child has turned 3. I’m not sure what logic is being applied there, I must be thick and am missing it? So from 1 year to 3 years the costs are insane.

But you can get more free hours sooner (from when child is 2 I believe?) providing you’re not working. So you can get more free child care if you’re not working than if you are working. So you can get more free child care providing you don’t actually need it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.





×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.