House Price Crash Forum

Huge shortage of staff to work in hospitality from next week due to brexit and locals not wanting to do the work as better off on benefits?

The Brexit affect sounds like the gestapo operating at UK border according to the guardian?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/13/eu-citizens-arriving-in-uk-being-locked-up-and-expelled

How are they expected to recruit in this environment latest figures show 5.8 million will be given settled status by end of June.  I know living in the BCP area very little east european now spoken behing the counters of takeaways and cafe's seems to be more youngsters from uk made redundant from covid ?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, coypondboy said:

The Brexit affect sounds like the gestapo operating at UK border according to the guardian?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/13/eu-citizens-arriving-in-uk-being-locked-up-and-expelled

How are they expected to recruit in this environment latest figures show 5.8 million will be given settled status by end of June.  I know living in the BCP area very little east european now spoken behing the counters of takeaways and cafe's seems to be more youngsters from uk made redundant from covid ?

At least a dozen European citizens – mostly young women 

—————//-//

Lol

46 minutes ago, coypondboy said:

maybe people should read the rules? Few western countries allow you to come in and start applying for jobs. In the UK it is explicitly forbidden. The problem seems to be people assume brexit changed nothing, but FOM is gone.

Though in one case the person was attending a job interview, which of course is allowed (as long as they applied for the job from their home country).

Edited by MancTom

I find it hard to believe that the locals are better of on Benefits. This is an urban myth that they love to trot out and give the impression that the locals are living high on the hog with their feet up getting massive amounts of money from the Government. 

Yes we can all find examples of certain people who have carved a life out of living on Benefits and doing a bit on the side, but generally get to a certain age and even those low paid jobs do not want you. 

I went to a (non) job centre once did not get a penny was treated like dirt , they demanded to know what I was doing to look for work but at the same time one staff member told me at 49 I was not getting another job. I think the people who work in these places go on Rudeness courses and many of them have passed with flying colours. 

A better title might be AGESIEM is the problem not LAZY Locals. 

If people are better off on benefits than working for you, then you are not paying enough.

Every time you hear an employer bleat that they "cannot recruit anybody", there is a part missing from the end of the sentence: "..for the wages we are offering.". There isn't a job in the land that can't be filled tomorrow if the price is right. 

40 minutes ago, mattyboy1973 said:

If people are better off on benefits than working for you, then you are not paying enough.

Every time you hear an employer bleat that they "cannot recruit anybody", there is a part missing from the end of the sentence: "..for the wages we are offering.". There isn't a job in the land that can't be filled tomorrow if the price is right. 

Benefits skew the playing field though, it isn't a true market. Benefits should be a safety net not an alternative to work.

4 minutes ago, GregBowman said:

Benefits skew the playing field though, it isn't a true market. Benefits should be a safety net not an alternative to work.

And 5.7 million disposables on less than the legal minimum wage in the gig economy, how does that skew the playing field?

2 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

And 5.7 million disposables on less than the legal minimum wage in the gig economy, how does that skew the playing field?

If you read my posts I disagree with zero hours contracts and believe in a minimum wage. Both skew the labour market. Don't worry though the next labour government will sort that.....Oh that might be a while ;) and anyway they believe in open door immigration which has always been good for supporting wages 

8 minutes ago, GregBowman said:

Why should someone take a job that pays less than the "safety net" ?

23 minutes ago, sexton said:

Exactly the system is wrong and the minimum wage should be set above a reasonable safety net not a benefits as a lifestyle safety net. In work benefits particularly are just a corporate subsidy 

23 minutes ago, sexton said:

See I do not quite understand this. A single person or a person from a couple will not get more on Benefits by a long way. People with  children who take a part time low paid job have their money made up with generous Tax Credits. 

So I do not believe the title on this thread. People living the life on benefits is a myth , yes there are a few who do well but it is not as wide spread as they would have you believe. 

It's got little to do with "benefit levels", and quite a lot to do with accommodation costs.

An average single person living in the North (whether they be in their own pad or living at home) is not going to get monetary value from moving to an average job in London, where a flat can cost 400+ a week, and they may have to take on a 2nd job. However many folk from non-English speaking countries will take on the challenge for a couple of years to immerse themselves in the language, and also possibly have more freedoms/opportunities than at home. Moreover , big cities like London and New York, traditionally attract driven young people (regardless of origin) who want to make it in certain sectors, whether music, theatre or art etc. 

1 hour ago, mattyboy1973 said:

I think employers are probably just being realistic. Yes, they could hire British hospitality staff if they offered higher wages. But how much higher would the wages have to be? How much higher would prices be? How much business would they lose as a result of higher prices? I think a lot of employers estimate that there isn't a combination of higher wages and prices and lower volumes which is profitable. 

3 minutes ago, Young Turk said:

I think employers are probably just being realistic.

I think a lot of them are just lying or the people writing the articles are lying. 

I never had to understand how the benefits systems works for me, but I wonder what sort of benefits a young male can get that would allow him to do nothing. 

On the other hand, I have seen a young single mom paid 45k choosing to go on benefits so she could see her daughter grow up. And I can't blame her for that.

Fixing childcare in this country would do a lot to free up skilled workforce.

Edited by Freki
3 hours ago, MancTom said:

few western countries allow you to come in and start applying for jobs. In the UK it is explicitly forbidden

Few non-western countries too. I knew a few British people who got into trouble in Sri Lanka.

The article sounds like the Guardian getting upset because its happening to people from the EU. A lot worse has happened to people from other parts of the world, and to far more than a dozen of them.

I am not sure "interviews" in that context ("meetings, conferences, seminars, interviews") means "job interviews". Its not very clear and people coming for a job interview are a pretty clear overstay risk.

Immigration law is complex. So is nationality. I used to know someone who did not know she was a British citizen.

Edited by gp_
24 minutes ago, gp_ said:

Immigration law is complex. So is nationality. I used to know someone who did not know she was a British citizen.

Good point plenty of the Windrush generation and their children thought they were 

44 minutes ago, Freki said:

On the other hand, I have seen a young single mom paid 45k choosing to go on benefits so she could see her daughter grow up. And I can't blame her for that.

That has had a stop put on it. The maximum a household can now get is £23,000 and for children born after April 2017 there is a new ruling where benefits are only applicable for the 2 children.  

At 1.3k the cost of nursery per month coming out of your net salary, you are trading fairly even.

45k means 2.85k a month net, deduct nursery costs, you have 1.5k left to pay rent, food, bills, transport. Childcare is a massive issue in this country, and nobody talks about it. 

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/04/these-countries-have-the-most-expensive-childcare/

UK, more than twice as expensive as other OECD when used as %age of net income. 

2 hours ago, GregBowman said:

If you read my posts I disagree with zero hours contracts and believe in a minimum wage. Both skew the labour market. Don't worry though the next labour government will sort that.....Oh that might be a while ;) and anyway they believe in open door immigration which has always been good for supporting wages 

Remind me again how much immigration the Tories reduced in their time in power?

1 hour ago, GregBowman said:

Good point plenty of the Windrush generation and their children thought they were 

Erm, the fact is they are, but didn't realise they would be pushed into a Kafka-esque 'hostile environment' where they would be deemed guilty before having to jump through flaming hoops of fire to prove their innocence.

Edited by msi
typo
2 minutes ago, msi said:

Remind me again how much immigration the Tories reduced in their time in power

The Tories have always supported immigration, they always will.😉

6 hours ago, coypondboy said:

Rich tory owning establishment MSM want more immigrants to put in their BTL slums.

There will be no shortage.  If they need people maybe wages will go up to entice the British people to work.

3 hours ago, mattyboy1973 said:

+1  You can almost see the cogs turning in the loons head as they line up the 'Benefits are too good' argument followed by 'we can't let inflation go' and finishing with the classic 'Mollycoddled folks want everything at once, I had to work my way up'