House Price Crash Forum

Everybody is lying here

HOLA441

Ive just read the BoE report about this year growth, predicted at an amazing 7.5%. 
Where is the growth coming from? 

1) Tourism is dead and won’t recover for years. As I said in another discussion London had around 25 mil people coming and visit every year. Who is going to replace those 25 million in the restaurants, museums, transports of the capital?

2) University. How are things going there? How many EU students are applying to come and study here? How many from the RoW are coming here during a pandemic? Can we know some numbers? 

3) Manufacturing: export and import data are still down, they have not recovered. Whether it’s Brexit or Covid, how many business have seen their revenues plummeting? Are they recovering? The answer is no. 

Are we at the gates of the new world where we are all digital and green friendly? Cool, somebody would need to put the money and the effort to build the new world. Anybody knows where the gov White Paper for the new Britain is? Where is the money? I can only see debts here. 

HOLA442
1 minute ago, NoHPCinTheUK said:

Ive just read the BoE report about this year growth, predicted at an amazing 7.5%. 

1) Tourism is dead and won’t recover for years. As I said in another discussion London had around 25 mil people coming and visit every year. Who is going to replace those 25 million in the restaurants, museums, transports of the capital?

2) University. How are things going there? How many EU students are applying to come and study here? How many from the RoW are coming here during a pandemic? Can we know some numbers? 

3) Manufacturing: export and import data are still down, they have not recovered. Whether it’s Brexit or Covid, how many business have seen their revenues plummeting? Are they recovering? The answer is no. 

Are we at the gates of the new world where we are all digital and green friendly? Cool, somebody would need to put the money and the effort to build the new world. Anybody knows where the gov White Paper for the new Britain is? Where is the money? I can only see debts here. 

We need to get past the Indian wave too before we think about all of the above

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
26 minutes ago, NoHPCinTheUK said:

Plus Even if you have a successful manufacturing / service industry co, you often cannot get the materials /stock due to covid supply chain disruption / brxit port / red tape / suez blockage  

https://t.co/Z9nUNlIpF2?amp=1

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA448
1 hour ago, NoHPCinTheUK said:

When the BoE says there will be 7.5% growth, what they mean is, the rich 1% will be 7.5% better off and the poor will be 15% worse off.

So, yes, this is right.

HOLA449
38 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

When the BoE says there will be 7.5% growth, what they mean is, the rich 1% will be 7.5% better off and the poor will be 15% worse off.

So, yes, this is right.

Whatever happened to Chote and his forest of hockey-sticks?

productivity_chart.png

HOLA4410

Tourism has been dead true, but it's about to recover in a big way, there is too much pent up demand. People are keen to get away somewhere, to visit friends and relatives, and escape their lockdown confines. We have no way of knowing when it will get back to 100% pre-lockdown levels, but to say it won't recover for years is way off-beam.

HOLA4411
4 hours ago, NoHPCinTheUK said:

Its just talking about bounding back from a massive recession to somewhere where we were before the pandemic, a v-shape recovery. I don't think its saying anything about what happens after we are back to where we started. So short term strong growth I believe, mid to long term, maybe not.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
24 minutes ago, scepticus said:

Its just talking about bounding back from a massive recession to somewhere where we were before the pandemic, a v-shape recovery. I don't think its saying anything about what happens after we are back to where we started. So short term strong growth I believe, mid to long term, maybe not.

This would be my understanding too. Lots of saved up furlough money will be spunked against the wall over the next few months.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
1 hour ago, micawber said:

This would be my understanding too. Lots of saved up furlough money will be spunked against the wall over the next few months.

I am one of those people, my bank balance has never been so large I even went a bit crazy buying an iPhone 12 and a MacBook but not even a dent

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
7 hours ago, NoHPCinTheUK said:

giphy.gif

HOLA4422

Loads of people have money burning a hole in their pockets.

Pretty much the whole public sector has been on full salary but with nothing to spend it on.

Those of us who were furloughed as well.

Lots of self employed have had multiple grants.

All we see on the TV are the people who've fallen through the cracks, but many of us never had it so good.

Tourism:  more of us go abroad than foreigners who come here for holidays.  So no foreign travel is a net gain for UK.

HOLA4423
1 hour ago, shlomo said:

I am one of those people, my bank balance has never been so large I even went a bit crazy buying an iPhone 12 and a MacBook but not even a dent

Have to concur. After over a year of WFH, zero holidays, commuting, or discretionary expenses. All topped up with some mad gainz in Bitcoin I have so much free cash sloshing around we are looking to purchase yet another spare property just to get out of fiat. Anyone saving in GBP is a fool.

Edited by MonsieurCopperCrutch

HOLA4424
3 minutes ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Have to concur. After over a year of WFH, zero holidays, commuting, or discretionary expenses. All topped up with some mad gainz in Bitcoin I have so much free cash sloshing around we are looking to purchase yet another spare property just to get out of fiat. Anyone saving in GBP is a fool.

I have never really looked at discretionary spending must be all coffee at Costa and sandwiches at Pret, I will go back to them probably go out of my comfort zone thinking of going to horse racing when it is on.

I do miss living, What is life without experiences 

HOLA4425