House Price Crash Forum

UK inflation... where will it go within 12 months? I suspect 6-8%

3 hours ago, msi said:

What's your reasoning behind this (other than having one / thinking of one?)

Extending homes means people don't need to move thus improving supply 

New homes are VAT free

VAT on Renovations means old its cheaper to bulldoze old buildings rather then repurpose.  An old mansion was bulldozed to make new way for horrible new flats for example  

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 25/04/2021 at 13:14, gruffydd said:

This time I suspect the main tactic will be "this is only temporary"... until we hit 4% and it continues rising - that is when the government will move into panic mode. 

honestly, if inflation goes above 4%, the uk is stuffed. either ir's rise = hpc, or the pound is toast

9 hours ago, andrewwk said:

honestly, if inflation goes above 4%, the uk is stuffed. either ir's rise = hpc, or the pound is toast

Yes, interest rates would have to rise to keep the pound worth a pound in comparison to other major currencies.....;)

Just reading this article from the Us on house building material inflation, and I wonderered what the uk situation was . It appears to avg 1.5  mom & 6% yoy in the Uk 

Soaring lumber prices add $36,000 to the cost of a new home, and a fierce land grab is only making it worse

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/30/soaring-lumber-prices-add-36000-to-the-cost-of-a-new-home.html

Monthly statistics of (uk) building materials and components: February 2021

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/966124/21-cs3_-_Construction_Building_Materials_-_Commentary_February_2021.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/building-materials-and-components-monthly-statistics-2012

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship
On 26/04/2021 at 22:50, andrewwk said:

Real inflation, which correctly measures how long it will take you to reach a comfortable retirement has been above 4% for years. 

They just choose not to measure it this way.

On 26/04/2021 at 14:35, GenZ said:

Extending homes means people don't need to move thus improving supply 

People are extending now because it's cheaper than moving upwards - they can't see that the MadGainz just screws them over

New homes are VAT free

They are subject to SDLT.  If you wanted to build your own without VAT, simply create a shell company to do the work.

VAT on Renovations means old its cheaper to bulldoze old buildings rather then repurpose.  An old mansion was bulldozed to make new way for horrible new flats for example 

Unless you have a massive cash pile, you will need to borrow to bulldoze and rebuild at commercial rates - any VAT saving is wiped out by the gurantees and IR.

2 hours ago, dugsbody said:

Real inflation, which correctly measures how long it will take you to reach a comfortable retirement has been above 4% for years. 

They just choose not to measure it this way.

yes, so imagine what real inflation would look like if the headline figure is 4%...

On 26/04/2021 at 22:50, andrewwk said:

The pound being toast is already baked in. It's too late for any other options.

2 hours ago, Si1 said:

Yahoo Finance: Warren Buffett on inflation: We're raising prices and it's being accepted.

Thanks for sharing - it has gone mental in my world - and I work across many sectors right now! And he's right... these price increases are being priced in. And the wage stuff follows. We are living in crazy times - and not in a good way. 

Posted (edited)
On 01/05/2021 at 11:11, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Just reading this article from the Us on house building material inflation, and I wonderered what the uk situation was . It appears to avg 1.5  mom & 6% yoy in the Uk 

Soaring lumber prices add $36,000 to the cost of a new home, and a fierce land grab is only making it worse

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/30/soaring-lumber-prices-add-36000-to-the-cost-of-a-new-home.html

Monthly statistics of (uk) building materials and components: February 2021

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/966124/21-cs3_-_Construction_Building_Materials_-_Commentary_February_2021.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/building-materials-and-components-monthly-statistics-2012

There are actually some serious material shortages right now in the UK which will hit house building - supply chains screwed up - partly because of massive demand in places that are booming in Asia. Mental! 

And mark my words - wages will follow of there will be revolutionary change... actually we are already seeing major wage inflation in hospitality/restaurants, I suspect... and that will flow elsewhere. 

Edited by gruffydd

Tesco mobile 50% rise in price of cheap mobile phone. The IMo dash was £6.99 2 weeks ago. Today £9.99 Dont like Tesco as a shop find the prices of some things over the top. Meringue nests are 0.99 in Aldi £1.69 in  Tesco.

Edited by hughjass

the crisp investigator: 

Was in Poundland yesterday. I had never seen ‘4 packs’ of walkers (25g packs too). But they are now here, and obvs for a pound, given the location.

I haven’t seen 6 packs of walkers for a £1 deals (3 for £3 type ones)for a while - Morrison’s and the local coop used to always have them. All £1.25 (2 for £2.50) now when on offer. Which makes them a better deal than the Poundland one, but 25% inflation in crisps is here. 

9 minutes ago, Frugal Git said:

the crisp investigator: 

Was in Poundland yesterday. I had never seen ‘4 packs’ of walkers (25g packs too). But they are now here, and obvs for a pound, given the location.

I haven’t seen 6 packs of walkers for a £1 deals (3 for £3 type ones)for a while - Morrison’s and the local coop used to always have them. All £1.25 (2 for £2.50) now when on offer. Which makes them a better deal than the Poundland one, but 25% inflation in crisps is here. 

I bet you're fun to sit opposite to in the office.

e4696ae3f644c74ba8a3d1f8dd69aac3.gif

Edited by Si1

From the last decade we know that TPTB are quite happy to 'look through' the highely massaged figure hitting around the 5% mark.

The only question is how much higher, and much more massaging they can do to make the figure look lower to begin with.

43 minutes ago, Frugal Git said:

the crisp investigator: 

Looking for walkers is the first mistake, Lidl snaktastic and pick up a 24 pack.

42 minutes ago, Si1 said:

I bet you're fun to sit opposite to in the office.

e4696ae3f644c74ba8a3d1f8dd69aac3.gif

Where did you get that footage? I’m claiming a copy under the data protection act. 

Edited by Frugal Git
4 minutes ago, Frugal Git said:

Where did you get that footage? I’m claiming a copy under the data protection act. 

It's from your work PC's webcam

Just now, Si1 said:

It's from your work PC's webcam

That would be difficult, given the ultrawide I use doesn’t have one. And neither does either of the ones flanking it. 

declare your hidden camera or face the consequences of a claim under the act.  

9 minutes ago, Frugal Git said:

That would be difficult, given the ultrawide I use doesn’t have one. And neither does either of the ones flanking it. 

declare your hidden camera or face the consequences of a claim under the act.  

It's ok I'm from the KGB