House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bubble Pop Electric

5 Stages Of Grief - Which One Have The Sellers Got To?

The five stages of grief are:

Denial

Anger

Bargaining

Depression

Acceptance

So where are we at now? Who goes through the stages quicker? Sellers/ EA's/ ex-pats (i think they're definately at the anger stage) etc. Is this a better way to gauge the crash - rather than time scales? I think we've been stuck on denial for quite a bit.

(sorry if this has been discussed before)

I vote denial too, only because so far there has been no strong, repeated evidence of falling house prices.

From what I see, the market feels like it has been see-sawing around a pivitol point looking for it's direction. There have been no strong consistent moves either way for about a year. It's like it is suspended.

(I know some areas are an exception to this, but I mean generally).

The whole thing needs a catalyst to get it moving again. I think the catalyst is interest rates. It was low interest rates that made house prices shoot up, so it will be rising interest rates that make them go down, as people's incomes become more stretched.

I do think the ex-pats are a stage further - definately in anger mode, hopefully they're setting the trend. I don't mean that in a harsh way, but i just want the ball to get rolling. They're waiting - we're waiting.....

Expats - anger

Everyone else - denial

Part of me thinks anger but another thinks we're at bargaining.

Think back 6 months and the C4 Homes people were getting posts deleted or kicked off - I think we were in Denial / Anger then. Remember all the angry posts that would occur if anyone dared to post something bearish,

Look at some of the trolls we've had on hear recently, they seem to be very unhappy and angry people, this isn't denial that's what was happening 6 months ago "nah nah nah this time it's different nah nah nah prices haven't gone down la la la I can't hear you".

So why bargaining? 6-12 months ago people wouldn't even consider the idea of a slowdown (soft landing) let alone a crash. But now people are accepting the possibility of a slowdown but not a crash. Basically they're bargaining "if prices aren't booming any more then please just let them slowdown, I'll consider offers lower than what I want". Remember bargaining often takes place before the loss actually happens (e.g. begging your wife to stay "I'll wash the dishes, I'll ditch my mistress..."),

Ok I maybe totally wrong - won't be the first time ;)

Guest Bart of Darkness

The expats are in the position of having to sell by a certain date (essentially another kind of forced sale), hence they are further on than most.

Denial still seems to rule amongst the other sellers (just look at their asking prices).

I think TTRTR would be well qualified to offer some input on this subject.

He seems to have moved quite quickly from the denial into the anger phase.

Perhaps he'd be grateful enough to offer his personal insight into this phenomenon?

Edited by BandWagon

Guest muttley

I've bought and sold at a lovely profit within the last 8 months and didn't experience any of the above only pure joy when going to the bank?

How would you know you were experiencing denial?

(I realise how easy it is to bat that one back!)

Some anger (particularly from forced sellers or speculators) about prices no longer rising.

Still denial about the possibility of substantial falls.

Some anger (particularly from forced sellers or speculators) about prices no longer rising.

Still denial about the possibility of substantial falls.

I agree but they accept that prices aren't rising anymore this is why I think we're approaching if not already in Bargaining, people are bargaining "ok I'll settle for prices staying the same if they're not going up anymore but please don't let them go down".

I think the Denial and Bargaining stages can be easily mixed up as people are still in denial (they haven't reached depression and most importantly acceptance) about a fall but accept that prices aren't rocketing up anymore (which means I could be mixing them up as well). So people until people reach acceptance it will appear that that they are in denial.

Funny how posts now have to be censored by the powers that be -

Apart from posts to existing threads :-) :-)

I suspect that in the main it is HPC bears that are in denial. Still denying the fact that they have been predicting a crash for the past 3 years.

I suspect that in the main it is HPC bears that are in denial. Still denying the fact that they have been predicting a crash for the past 3 years.

well, just because everyone else is stupid enough to pile money into housing doesn't mean that it's the right thing to do :) There will be a crash / slow down at some point, it's just that people are a bit slow to cotton on.

Edit: It's hardly our fault that people are stupid, is it? (Am I in Anger mode now?) :D

Edited by Henrik

So WHY are you here then? Trolling? If houseprices are going up and everything is fine why visit here - just sit back and think of all the money you are making? Are you autistic and can't see other peoples points of view? Do you visit here because you are paid to do so? Do derive some sort of perverse pleasure in seeing people on decent incomes not being able to afford a home?

There are sites like singingpig where people have differing viewpoints, I don't bother to visit the site, there are general housing forums where yes I do give my honest opinion.

Yes I freely admit there hasn't been a crash yet, but the market has slowed one heck of a lot from % growth in double figures to growth in one. What did you think 3 years ago? That prices would continue to grow at insane rates?