House Price Crash Forum

Renting a new house (Coventry/Warwickshire). Good time? Buyers/sellers market? How have things changed?

gp_

Moving to Coventry (to the south) or  Warwickshire.
We are currently renting in Cheshire, looks like prices where we are looking are similar. A lot of things have changed since we last rented: no agents fees on tenants, and the impact of covid.

I am mostly concerned about how long it takes to get from taking a place to rent. I suspected letting agents last time (big national chain) of dragging things out a bit and having red tape to justify their fees.

Business took a hit, but has come back over last few months. We have not failed to pay bills or rent. Will that make us look at better risk, given so many people have failed to pay, or are furloughed and at risk of losing jobs? Is it a buyers or a sellers market at the moment? How far ahead should we look? We want to move after mid May, but by early June. - start now or wait another week or two?

Any tips on areas would be good. So far we have been told to avoid parts of Coventry, but Earlsdon, Styvechale and  areas to the south of those are good (what about Whitely and Cheylsford? I got the impression that lots of people working for JLR live there which sounds OK). We can live with grotty, but we want to feel safe - I especially want my teenage daughters to be safe.