House Price Crash Forum

5 hours ago, winkie said:

You live in a house with a front door onto a private drive?......do you have an interest in everyone buying into driving an EV?......thousands giving up on driving to use public transport or renting the road pay-as-you-go......or self drive EV renting........soon only the precious few will own anything of their choosing, forced to buy something, the rest born to rent.;)

Yes, but providing on street charging is not an insurmountable problem. The infrastructure requirement is much less than people assume, for most access to a 13Amp power point is all they would need. I charge mine off a 13Amp garden socket and only up to about 55% (200miles ) of capacity. It shouldn't be that difficult to provide 13Amp power at on street parking bays and has the benefit that slow charging greatly increases battery life.    

I think we should move to EVs as quickly as practically possible.

I doubt everyone who has a car today will buy an EV as many people are likely to move to renting a car when they need it. This would happen with or without EVs and is probably a good thing.     

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, smash said:

Another car thread, LoL. London ULEZ expansion means that lots of VW TDI and other diesels are as good as un-sellable, fit for scrap only. Got a friend who covers around 3k miles a year in her diesel Merc and is going to take the £12:50 hit each time she uses it but I guess if there's a major repair bill it will be junked. Just hold off getting an EV as the choice is going to massively increase. Also, get out of your car in the city.

Good that's where they belong. VW and all the other German manufacturers gamed to emissions rules to get them on the road in the first place.

99% of London exceeds WHO air pollution limits 

Don't wait too long or you will miss out on all the goodies available today. No road tax, no congestion charges, 90% off parking charges and plenty of city centre EV only bays.   

45 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Good that's where they belong. VW and all the other German manufacturers gamed to emissions rules to get them on the road in the first place.

99% of London exceeds WHO air pollution limits 

Don't wait too long or you will miss out on all the goodies available today. No road tax, no congestion charges, 90% off parking charges and plenty of city centre EV only bays.   

I admit to have had clocked up huge miles (and city driving) in a TDI vehicle, like many people. I agree that if you need to drive and park in London you've got to be crackers to buy anything other than an EV but on the school runs(s) that plague my neighbourhood the most common style of vehicle is a fecking ICE SUV, all brand new. I'll get a new EV in a few years time time I bolt out of the smoke and need to own a car.

1 hour ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Yes, but providing on street charging is not an insurmountable problem. The infrastructure requirement is much less than people assume, for most access to a 13Amp power point is all they would need. I charge mine off a 13Amp garden socket and only up to about 55% (200miles ) of capacity. It shouldn't be that difficult to provide 13Amp power at on street parking bays and has the benefit that slow charging greatly increases battery life.    

I doubt everyone who has a car today will buy an EV as many people are likely to move to renting a car when they need it. This would happen with or without EVs and is probably a good thing.     

Thought on street charging was pretty expensive. Also the infrastructure is too basic. Centre where I live the disabled are forced to cross the road if cars are charging for fear of tripping or getting stuck on the cables left trailing across the pavements. Talk about health and safety hazards. 

5 minutes ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Thought on street charging was pretty expensive. Also the infrastructure is too basic. Centre where I live the disabled are forced to cross the road if cars are charging for fear of tripping or getting stuck on the cables left trailing across the pavements. Talk about health and safety hazards. 

No one should or need to run cables over a pavement, you simply use an appropriate cable cover/ramp if the cable could cause a problem for someone. As has always been the case when using power tools etc.

12 minutes ago, smash said:

No one should or need to run cables over a pavement, you simply use an appropriate cable cover/ramp if the cable could cause a problem for someone. As has always been the case when using power tools etc.

Never seen any EV car parked charging in a public street street using a cable cover/ramp. The cables are just left trailing across the pavements. 

2 minutes ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Never seen any EV car parked charging in a public street street using a cable cover/ramp. The cables are just left trailing across the pavements. 

Well they shouldn't be doing that, you can get a cover/ramp from Screwfix or similar retailer for no money. Irresponsible use of a motor vehicle is what doing that is. 6 month driving ban and significant fine would be my recommendation.

55 minutes ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

It is at the moment. About a 500% mark up on many chargers.

The model (small number of relatively fast chargers) is also wrong. What needed are lots of very basic slow chargers where people park their cars overnight.

If people are leading cables out of their houses to charge their cars they should be required to route them under the pavement surface to a socket set into a kerbstone. Make it as easy to apply for and the same cost as putting in a dropped kerb and there would be huge uptake.        

5 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

It is at the moment. About a 500% mark up on many chargers.

The model (small number of relatively fast chargers) is also wrong. What needed are lots of very basic slow chargers where people park their cars overnight.

If people are leading cables out of their houses to charge their cars they should be required to route them under the pavement surface to a socket set into a kerbstone. Make it as easy to apply for and the same cost as putting in a dropped kerb and there would be huge uptake.        

Wouldn't that require a designated roadside parking place? Not very common and difficult to police.

9 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

You see it very differently from myself......nothing against electric vehicles if that is someone's choice, don't see why should be forced in destroying what works well enough already, EV create other new eco problems.......it is sold as better for the climate, not convinced.

Prefer the 'right to repair'....make things to last.;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49884827

I am with you on this Winkie. 

EVs good (now been proven to be so over car/battery life). I am keen for us all to go there when we can. My next car will be an EV. 

However, I have an existing ICE. It is 10 years old but going well (and always has done) and is relatively economical (>50 mpg).   I cannot justify throwing this away / scrapping / selling whilst still in productive life.  

On 08/04/2021 at 09:14, winkie said:

You see it very differently from myself......nothing against electric vehicles if that is someone's choice, don't see why should be forced in destroying what works well enough already, EV create other new eco problems.......it is sold as better for the climate, not convinced.

Prefer the 'right to repair'....make things to last.;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49884827

I wouldn't say they work well enough in my area Croydon sees most air pollution deaths in London  Local schools are already campaigning for ICEs to be banned from the roads they are on.

Right to repair is an interesting one. It sounds like it should be a good thing but engineers argue that there is always a trade off between reliability and serviceability and the best way to make things last is to build them to last in the first place and then permanently seal everything for good.    

22 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

I wouldn't say they work well enough in my area Croydon sees most air pollution deaths in London  Local schools are already campaigning for ICEs to be banned from the roads they are on.

Right to repair is an interesting one. It sounds like it should be a good thing but engineers argue that there is always a trade off between reliability and serviceability and the best way to make things last is to build them to last in the first place and then permanently seal everything for good.    

Aside from people dying early I wonder what the externalised costs are of treating people with air pollution related illnesses is like**. Yet still people bleat about the bonkers idea of the "war on the motorist". Round here the kids get dropped off and collected in 4.6ltr Range Rovers and AMG powered G wagons and the engines are often idling for either heating or aircon whilst the kid comes out of school.

**Plus add in the cost to the economy from traffic congestion.

#warontheschoolrun #getyourkidtocycletheonemile

If UKGOV wanted to avoid an abrupt downward change in UK house prices then it would need to run a current account surplus and keep national debts levels low or zero.

Anything short of that runs a hefty risk of being caught with UKGOV fiscal pants around its ankles.

See Switzerland.