House Price Crash Forum

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trash piece copied from the Daily Fail

"

Thirty-one years ago this week, Margaret Thatcher im-posed (sic) the poll tax on England, putting huge financial pressure on blameless low-income households.

Utter hypocrisy - didn't call them 'blameless' at that time did you?

Thatcher saw this coming and sold off the council houses so they're someone else's problem. 

:D 

Realistically anything like this takes votes away. Expect great big fat grants/subsidies for these schemes. I'm actually moving to get my boiler replaced ahead of the building work I hope to start in a year or two just to avoid this nonsense. 

4 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

That's never going to fly.

Telling people they can't sell their houses without first spending thousands would be about the only thing that would get the general public on the streets.

Almost as unbelievable to say you cant leave your own country , you are under house arrest,  hug your granny etc

4 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

That's never going to fly.

Telling people they can't sell their houses without first spending thousands would be about the only thing that would get the general public on the streets.

In other words all very plausible. The "green" movement epitomises "the road to hell is paved with good intentions", and it's become such a religion that, like safety, no questioning or disagreement must be permitted, if you don't accept any and every proposal you're a selfish planet-killer who must be ignored, at least after being insulted for a bit. Another move to make the future look like a depressing place indeed. Sure, the article might be a repeat of a bit of Daily Mail sh1t-stirring but it all looks depressingly plausible. Where's the party to vote for with a considerably more measured, sensible stance, who realises it's not a 100% one extreme or the other game?

I'll sort out the problem spot with my loft insulation eventually (and add a bit more) but that's as far as I have any intention of going.

4 minutes ago, wighty said:

If you dont get it done they'll send Greta Thunberg round to talk you to death.

She's a weird one (along with most who even vaguely align with her). They bleat on about the natural world whilst wanting to make everything even more human-high-tech-dominated. I honestly don't believe they've any real appreciation or awareness of the world around them, it's all an intellectual, political ideal they're getting worked up over.

Anyway it's snowing here right now.

A problem I have with heat pumps is they emit noise. I don't really want to hear that noise at all hours (because they generally run 24 hours) if my bedroom window happens to be facing my neighbours installation.

4 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

She's a weird one (along with most who even vaguely align with her). They bleat on about the natural world whilst wanting to make everything even more human-high-tech-dominated. I honestly don't believe they've any real appreciation or awareness of the world around them, it's all an intellectual, political ideal they're getting worked up over.

Anyway it's snowing here right now.

Greta annoys me too because of her own high carbon footprint. She's naive and entitled. Nevertheless, I'm wondering where you got your advanced degree in climate science?

5 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

A problem I have with heat pumps is they emit noise. I don't really want to hear that noise at all hours (because they generally run 24 hours) if my bedroom window happens to be facing my neighbours installation.

I'd like to see the overall cost and hassle and reliability of owning a heat pump, I wonder if the disadvantages outweigh the environmental benefits? (An example of this is it turns out that water saving toilet flushing valves actually leak a bit of water that means they don't save water overall, so they have higher manufacturing costs and therefore for all the effort they're less environmentally friendly than an old school siphoning sistern)

16 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Greta annoys me too because of her own high carbon footprint. She's naive and entitled. Nevertheless, I'm wondering where you got your advanced degree in climate science?

Never claimed to have one, what's your point? I'm not denying it, just finding many of the "solutions" to it present another picture of the future that I have no more desire to see than the results of not changing anything, an issue their most ardent supports don't even seem to recognise. It's all damned if we do, damned if we don't; it might be a little more palatable if certain people at least had the decency to call the change a necessary evil.

When it comes to heat pumps, and it really needs to be accepted that they're not practical everywhere, would they be better housed in a separate building supplying several houses?

Edited by Riedquat
4 minutes ago, Si1 said:

I'd like to see the overall cost and hassle and reliability of owning a heat pump, I wonder if the disadvantages outweigh the environmental benefits? (An example of this is it turns out that water saving toilet flushing valves actually leak a bit of water that means they don't save water overall, so they have higher manufacturing costs and therefore for all the effort they're less environmentally friendly than an old school siphoning sistern)

On the other hand backflow protection valves are worth their money many times over - as I've seen from first hand experience (and smelt from the neighbours)

20 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

Not to do with this post but housing. I have lived in houses of all sorts of ages Edwardian, 1920's, 50's and 90's

The older houses had main bedrooms that looked over the street, the younger ones over the garden. You soon get used to a little traffic or in London the odd drunk at 2 in the morning. The point is it would be unlikely that someone would install something that  ran all the time at the front of the house. So it would seem to me the street was deemed quieter  than potentially the rear of the house by housebuilders in previous eras 

Edited by GregBowman
4 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Never claimed to have one, what's your point? 

You implied the connection between snow and climate change is simple. It isn't.

6 minutes ago, msi said:

On the other hand backflow protection valves are worth their money many times over - as I've seen from first hand experience (and smelt from the neighbours)

That's interesting, what do they do?

12 minutes ago, Si1 said:

I'm pretty suspicious when politicians try to force a new technology to be rolled out when the cost-benefit ratio doesn't stack up well enough for people to adopt it voluntarily, probably means some lobbyists got to them. Just look at CFLs and smart meters.

13 minutes ago, Si1 said:

You implied the connection between snow and climate change is simple. It isn't.

I suppose it could be seen like that (and I do get fed up with people who use every individual weather event as proof of climate change - individual ones mean nothing, even though overall increases in them mean something). It was just a throwaway comment.