House Price Crash Forum

The long winter is over, the sun is out and the parks have been teeming with Brits enjoying themselves with their friends and family and a cheeky bottle of something. Despite what some purport on here I am just not seeing any credible evidence of anger out there. The plebeians have had a year of stressless work-free furlough, evictions banned, and stamp duty free purchases, houses selling like hot cakes, and made some massive household savings. Life is gud in little England.

Beauty spots and parks are COVERED with bottles, cans and disposable barbecues after Brits celebrated the hottest day of the year - as police threaten to fine crowds as they brace for ANOTHER day of chaos during record 75F heatwave

41167732-0-image-m-7_1617193112498.jpg

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9421889/UK-weather-Britons-warned-fun-stick-rules.html

Households saved record £238bn last year as economy slumped in lockdowns

https://news.sky.com/story/households-saved-a-record-238bn-last-year-as-the-economy-slumped-12261432

Edited by MonsieurCopperCrutch
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Also, we've all found out the UK isn't the racist hellhole that another thread claims it might be.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56585538

Go UK, you rock

From the article:

"It said children from minority ethnic communities did as well or better than white pupils, but overt racism remained, particularly online."

• Children from ethnic-minority communities did as well or better than white pupils in compulsory education, with black Caribbean pupils the only group to perform less well
  • This success in education has "transformed British society over the last 50 years into one offering far greater opportunities for all"
  • But some communities continue to be "haunted" by historic racism, which is creating "deep mistrust" and could be a barrier to success

The UK isn't as systemically bad as the US, due to comprehensive education and a stronger societal contract meaning that you don't get in built fragmentation of communities.  To say it is perfect is simplistic.

32 minutes ago, Roman Roady said:

Actually on reflection...let’s call it approx 240Bn in a country of approx 60Mn. Has each man woman and child really saved the equivalent of 4K each??

Quite possible I think.

I've saved over £30 a week in fuel and £50 a week not going to the pub etc.  That comes to more than £4k in a year and I've not started on holidays and days out.

38 minutes ago, Roman Roady said:

Actually on reflection...let’s call it approx 240Bn in a country of approx 60Mn. Has each man woman and child really saved the equivalent of 4K each??

Quite realistic I think. I'm currently spending 0 commuting, 0 lunchtime, and 0 on evening/weekend entertainment in expensive pubs, so my savings are up massively.

24 minutes ago, msi said:

From the article:

"It said children from minority ethnic communities did as well or better than white pupils, but overt racism remained, particularly online."

• Children from ethnic-minority communities did as well or better than white pupils in compulsory education, with black Caribbean pupils the only group to perform less well
  • This success in education has "transformed British society over the last 50 years into one offering far greater opportunities for all"
  • But some communities continue to be "haunted" by historic racism, which is creating "deep mistrust" and could be a barrier to success

The UK isn't as systemically bad as the US, due to comprehensive education and a stronger societal contract meaning that you don't get in built fragmentation of communities.  To say it is perfect is simplistic.

Don't think anyone's claimed that it's perfect. Online is particularly problematic because it's so easy for a few people to be very obnoxious and abusive to a great many. But overall I really doubt you'll find many less racist countries, and it's probably reached the point where there's very little in general societal attitudes, leaving us with the odious sh1ts who'll always be out to abuse someone.

1 hour ago, Huggy said:

Also, we've all found out the UK isn't the racist hellhole that another thread claims it might be.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56585538

Go UK, you rock!

Edit. and https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56574557

Yeah, we are pretty good as a country! Happy days!

The plebs were pretty content in 2007, as I recall.

Never had it so good. :rolleyes:

It's pathetic really. Over a decade of bleating about no magic money tree, cuts in homeless services etc, then in one year the greatest peacetime public debt ever. Everyone has short memories . Factoring in stamp duty cuts, those that have done well out of this will be the better off. Tories riding high in the polls, so the majority obviously think this is all great. 

40 minutes ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Quite realistic I think. I'm currently spending 0 commuting, 0 lunchtime, and 0 on evening/weekend entertainment in expensive pubs, so my savings are up massively.

44 minutes ago, kzb said:

Quite possible I think.

I've saved over £30 a week in fuel and £50 a week not going to the pub etc.  That comes to more than £4k in a year and I've not started on holidays and days out.

Same for me but there again I didn’t accept the 10% pay reduction that many of my colleagues did; neither was I furloughed at 80%. I also kept my job unlike many. That’s just analysing those that work which is 30Mn???

Approx 30 workers saving 8- 10 K each...really???

1 minute ago, Roman Roady said:

Same for me but there again I didn’t accept the 10% pay reduction that many of my colleagues did; neither was I furloughed at 80%. I also kept my job unlike many. That’s just analysing those that work which is 30Mn???

Well I also bagged a 5% pay rise and bonus. People who are WFH must be saving a fair chunk. 

1 hour ago, Roman Roady said:

A lot more than that, I saved £5k just not going on holiday 

7 minutes ago, nothernsoul said:

It's pathetic really. Over a decade of bleating about no magic money tree, cuts in homeless services etc, then in one year the greatest peacetime public debt ever. Everyone has short memories . Factoring in stamp duty cuts, those that have done well out of this will be the better off. Tories riding high in the polls, so the majority obviously think this is all great. 

St Sunak 

1 hour ago, Riedquat said:

Don't think anyone's claimed that it's perfect. Online is particularly problematic because it's so easy for a few people to be very obnoxious and abusive to a great many. But overall I really doubt you'll find many less racist countries, and it's probably reached the point where there's very little in general societal attitudes, leaving us with the odious sh1ts who'll always be out to abuse someone.

I agree you can nowadays bring anyone home to meet the family for dinner, but there are institutions where their societal attitudes have not evolved enough (I'm not getting into any discussions on the whys or wherefores) - the Black community and Police, Asian or Gay footballers, Women in STEM,  Entrants into Medicine and Law etc...

Online is a particular problem as a few vocal morons can change the entire tone of a platform (as these boards can attest to) - you also have the problem of the same small number odious sh1ts that  now shift the entire discourse via the Overton Window

Edited by msi
Finger spasm
1 hour ago, Roman Roady said:

There's no shortage of people who go on 3 or 4 holidays a year abroad in normal times.  I've got relatives who go on three cruises a year.

Has anyone in the public sector been furloughed?  I think nearly all, if not all, have been on full salary throughout.

3 hours ago, Roman Roady said:

I spent around £6k less last year, no holidays, almost no eating out, weeks and weeks of near house arrest.  No work done on the house.

Mot to Mot drove 4000 miles, usually around 12,000 miles.

Brother, has a family, saved over £20k.

4 minutes ago, skinnylattej said:

I spent around £6k less last year, no holidays, almost no eating out, weeks and weeks of near house arrest.  No work done on the house.

Mot to Mot drove 4000 miles, usually around 12,000 miles.

Brother, has a family, saved over £20k.

And what about the counter balance to your brother?

Dont you know of any families where the major bread winner lost their job or weren’t entitled to any handouts?

If not I can give some examples.

20 minutes ago, Roman Roady said:

And what about the counter balance to your brother?

Dont you know of any families where the major bread winner lost their job or weren’t entitled to any handouts?

If not I can give some examples.

Go on then, most people are winners from the furlough economy 

The nephew boght a car for cask, think he paid 7k, all saved in lockdown (no commute, no rent).  Personally I have saved easily 20k due to the wife being unable to successfully pester for holidays:).  Far as I can see everyone I know has splurged, cars, campers, cameras etc.  

Am I the only one to get annoyed with the use of Fahrenheit instead of Celsius? 

Is it a ploy of daily mail to celebrate imperial measurements? Same BS as the blue passports? Worse actually... Try to give a positive spin while we ride out Breaksh!t ?