House Price Crash Forum

Guardian: Covid Frontline Workers Priced Out of Homeowning in 98% of Britain

I read this earlier however I don't think people in this country fully appreciate the scale of the problem since if you're a couple and have 2 incomes, your chances of getting onto the property ladder are vastly increased. A lot of people will still get on thenproperty ladder this way eventually.

If you're single, then you really are struggling especially if you can't access the BOMAD and high rents/low wages.

4 minutes ago, supersonic said:

So you absolutely have to have two full time earners then.  Even then it's still a real challenge.  News at 10.

I didn't see anywhere what salary multiple they were using for their 'affordability' calcs, unless I missed that?

Or a big deposit. Which is hard given high rents.

3 hours ago, rantnrave said:

Let me guess.....the poor people who are paid less than these people need to be taxed more to "help" these people buy houses from tory funding developers and borrow money from the banksters ?

1 hour ago, zugzwang said:

It's Starmer who needs to be listening. Make the Tories boys own their shitwork!

+1  This should be an open goal, but there is nothing but mealy mouthed 'support without enthusiasm' by Starmer and co as he desperately distances himself from Corbyn.

He should be ripping into crony Tories and their untendered contracts

He should be ripping into the 'frugal' Tories spending the equivalent of the Scotland budget on Track n Trace and to their outsource chums

He should be ripping into Tory 'support' grants paid to Dubai, the Royal Family, and the BNP

He should be ripping into Tory game plan to  make the poorest pay for this with 1% pay rises

Pathetic

2 minutes ago, msi said:

+1  This should be an open goal, but there is nothing but mealy mouthed 'support without enthusiasm' by Starmer and co as he desperately distances himself from Corbyn.

He should be ripping into crony Tories and their untendered contracts

He should be ripping into the 'frugal' Tories spending the equivalent of the Scotland budget on Track n Trace and to their outsource chums

He should be ripping into Tory 'support' grants paid to Dubai, the Royal Family, and the BNP

He should be ripping into Tory game plan to  make the poorest pay for this with 1% pay rises

Pathetic

Nail on head. 

The sooner Labour realise that Starmer is a dead duck, the better. 

Saying That, Labour is looking more like a poor man's tribute to the Conservative party lately. Why would anyone vote for Labour when you can get the real thing and vote Tory. 

Labour is dead. 

2 minutes ago, Tiger131 said:

Jog on The Guardian, So £34k is classed as low pay now is it? That's not even getting into the fact that very few people can or have ever been able to buy houses on their own.

Sadly yes.

Got that in year 2000 and thought it was basic then but then houses were 70% less.

Now you might as well sit outside tescos with a cup.

They have destroyed this country beyond recognition.

1 hour ago, Postman said:

Nail on head. 

The sooner Labour realise that Starmer is a dead duck, the better. 

Saying That, Labour is looking more like a poor man's tribute to the Conservative party lately. Why would anyone vote for Labour when you can get the real thing and vote Tory. 

Labour is dead. 

You think Starmer's bad, wait 'til you meet the rest of the team.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/mar/30/labour-mp-apologises-for-saying-he-once-saw-business-as-the-enemy

40 minutes ago, Tiger131 said:

I must admit taking HPI into consideration does make what appears to be a decent salary a lot less in real terms. The late 90s and early '00s were a very unique time, then enter stage left "New Labour" and the banksters to f**k it all up.

Tory boys have been in charge for 11 years now.

1 hour ago, Tiger131 said:

Nu Labour let the HPI genie out of the bottle and there was no putting it back.

Cr*p. 

Cameron/Clegg could've tightened MMR as a quid-pro-quo for the GFC bailouts

Cameron /Osborne could've used Austerity to restrict multiples and taxed BTL harder and earlier

Cameron / May could've used Br*xit for a MadGainz tax raid to build up a 'transition war chest'

BoJo / Rishi had a f******g pandemic to bring the show to a controlled crash and avoid blame.

No point blaming NuLabor.  If they didn't do anything in 11 years, then they are complicit

2 hours ago, Tiger131 said:

From around 2010-2013 decent houses in my area were still affordable for me and my partner. 

They've since gone parabolic. 

We've had 11 years of the Tories, at some point we have to stop blaming Tony Blair and Gordon Brown for everything. 

2 hours ago, Tiger131 said:

I remember Labour coming to power in 1997 with much fanfare promising a bright future for all , no more boom and bust. 

We had just got over the late 80's early 90's recession and house price crash. The £100k house after falling to 60-70k and trapping many young people in Negative Equity for years was now back at £100k but affordable for the average as wages had risen in the previous 10 years and mortgage rates were steady at about 7-8%. Negative Equity Disappeared. 

Gordon Brown said " we will never let house prices get carried away again " 

Fast Forward to 2010.   We all know the outcome. 

18 minutes ago, Postman said:

From around 2010-2013 decent houses in my area were still affordable for me and my partner. 

They've since gone parabolic. 

We've had 11 years of the Tories, at some point we have to stop blaming Tony Blair and Gordon Brown for everything. 

There is a notorious poster on this website who pins almost every HPC problem to Gordon Brown 😄