House Price Crash Forum

BBC: Learning to code 'will seriously change your life'

BBC News: Learning to code 'will seriously change your life'

Interesting topic, but a bit of a thin story.

The woman with a CompSci degree from Surrey did something with it, but it would be interesting to know what she did on the Deutsche Bank grad scheme.  Was it something to do with computer science or a generic banker internship for grads in numerate disciplines?

The guy who can do a bit of Javascript doesn't look like he has much by way of career progression.

One line each on python and ruby, which says nothing useful about them.

OK, so if you're interested then where to start?  freecodecamp.org?  Flatiron school?  It's a long way from the BBC Micro and Fred Harris.

Edited by Will!

She has got a job as a front end developer (looked up her LinkedIn page), so that is good.

I did start a thread somewhere (maybe not on this website), some time ago, that said while these "learn to code" initiatives are well meaning, they often don't produce positive results.

Also, a lot of people decide they want to go into I.T. as they think it is a good career, as soon as they are in they are only interested in some sort of management position.

When you are working on a big budget technical I.T. project it is quite scary to observe the number of people involved at the technical end that actually know what is going on vs the amount that are some sort of process managers (change mangers, service managers, scrum masters, various types of project managers etc.)

Overall I would say that a lot of "Western" people aren't interested in "learning to code", even if they feign a bit of interest in order to get a good job.

But I guess if you were really into it, it could change your life.  Personally, I am currently trying to learn Python after many years in i.t. in more of a Sysadmin type role.

How is you journey going Will! (I know you had another thread about a work i.t. project you were doing)

15 hours ago, reddog said:

Also, a lot of people decide they want to go into I.T. as they think it is a good career, as soon as they are in they are only interested in some sort of management position.

My technical group where I work consists of people spending a lot of time coding (from a more scientific angle than having to produced polished, deliverable pieces of software). There seems to be considerable reluctance among all of us to want to actually have to manage anyone else, they're the sort of people who find the idea of faffing around in endless meetings and planning and organising people and dealing with all that crap as being considerably less appealing than getting their teeth in to a good technical problem.

I've certainly resisted a few attempts at "promoting" me into a position which AFAICT if it has any change at all would consist of more faff and less poking around to see what I can come up with. It's annoying how some elsewhere seem utterly unable to comprehend that, stuck with "it's promotion innit and career advancement." "So what?" is a question they've got no answer to.

21 hours ago, reddog said:

How is you journey going Will! (I know you had another thread about a work i.t. project you were doing)

Slowly!  My day job is still pretty busy!  I may never know enough to be a professional database admin, but I think after I've learned what I need for this project at least I'll be able to talk intelligently to one.

• 2 weeks later...

Coding was never required in my job, so for the most part it didn't bother me. However since learning to code in Python and C++ it has significantly improved my ability to automate what would otherwise be boring, repetitive tedious task. The upside is a I have much more time to devote to real value added tasks. Coding frees your time to work on much more complex tasks.