House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
or in excess of

Forget Houses-buy A Farm

Down here in Devon the price of farms have rocketed in the past 2 years,following the announcement that the new Single Farm Payment will replace the CAP.With this new system,the farmer gets paid so much for each hectare that he owns,whether or not he has any livestock(he gets extra for livestock).Even people who live on a farm but do not run it as a farm will also be eligible.All that is expected in return is that the farmer looks after the hedgerows, dry stone walls etc.If any of these require repair, he can claim for it.Basically it is a very generous retainer.Oh,and farms attract NO inheritance tax.Why is it that when a young single girl gets government handouts, it is known as benefits,but when applied to a farmer it is called a subsidy. The word STIGMA is no doubt involved.

Down here in Devon the price of farms have rocketed in the past 2 years,following the announcement that the new Single Farm Payment will replace the CAP.With this new system,the farmer gets paid so much for each hectare that he owns,whether or not he has any livestock(he gets extra for livestock).Even people who live on a farm but do not run it as a farm will also be eligible.All that is expected in return is that the farmer looks after the hedgerows, dry stone walls etc.If any of these require repair, he can claim for it.Basically it is a very generous retainer.Oh,and farms attract NO inheritance tax.Why is it that when a young single girl gets government handouts, it is known as benefits,but when applied to a farmer it is called a subsidy. The word STIGMA is no doubt involved.

Totally agree with you on that one. If you or I had a failing business, turned to the government for handouts from tax payers money, no chance!

40% of the EU budget goes to farmers, it's absolutely ******ing scandalous!

These things are largely unnoticed by the plebs, too concerned with the high cost of housing, while the planners, rural elite, and the government ****** them in the ****.

The payments are aimed at increaseing our much denuded biodiversity. Anything beneficial to nature and the environment is great value IMO and of far greater significance than any petty Human concerns, afterall we are just a passing swarm that has inhabited the Earth for a blink of an eye in Earth history terms.

My dream is to oneday retire with a big spread and turn all the land over to nature, afterall nature is immensely more beutiful than anything hatched in the mind of Man. Less people, less homes and less development I say.

Guest horace

dogbox

.....`afterall nature is immensely more beutiful than anything`

Unquote

YEAH? Like desease? Painful medical conditions? Yeah nature is wonderful.

horace.

The payments are aimed at increaseing our much denuded biodiversity. Anything beneficial to nature and the environment is great value IMO and of far greater significance than any petty Human concerns, afterall we are just a passing swarm that has inhabited the Earth for a blink of an eye in Earth history terms.

My dream is to oneday retire with a big spread and turn all the land over to nature, afterall nature is immensely more beutiful than anything hatched in the mind of Man. Less people, less homes and less development I say.

Sanctimonious tosh!

It wasn't that long ago when farmers were being paid to grub out hedgerows and clear woods. They'll do whatever it takes to get the cash. The timber yard down the road from me struggle to get oak these days because the farmers are being paid to leave it alone. When the milk quoter came in in 1983 they knew that is was time to diversify, hardly any did, they just carried on as usual like the world owes them a living. It's common knowledge round here (Devon) that the ones who wanted to get out were dealing infected F&M stock in 2001.

I know how it works, the wife's family farmed dairy for 50 years.

The farms run by intelligent 'new blood' really bring something to the area, create jobs, make real progress toward local economic sustainability and regional self sufficiency.

The old school farmers couldn't give a ****** about all that. They employ immigrant workers and house them in freezing caravans. The ones with land in the development boundary of the village will sell it to developers without a seconds thought. Filling the green belt with 'exclusive' new builds, pricing their neighbours kids out of the village, increasing traffic etc, etc. Or they sell the lot to some twit from London to drive round on his quad, getting paid to be non-productive. It's a ******ing joke!!

If you want to protect the countryside, stop their glorified benefit scrounging and bankrupt the c**ts.

This will bring educated people and new money to the industry. We will become ever more dependant on local produce in the future as import costs rise, don't leave it to the current bunch of retards to sort out.

Sanctimonious tosh!

It wasn't that long ago when farmers were being paid to grub out hedgerows and clear woods. They'll do whatever it takes to get the cash. The timber yard down the road from me struggle to get oak these days because the farmers are being paid to leave it alone. When the milk quoter came in in 1983 they knew that is was time to diversify, hardly any did, they just carried on as usual like the world owes them a living. It's common knowledge round here (Devon) that the ones who wanted to get out were dealing infected F&M stock in 2001.

I know how it works, the wife's family farmed dairy for 50 years.

The farms run by intelligent 'new blood' really bring something to the area, create jobs, make real progress toward local economic sustainability and regional self sufficiency.

The old school farmers couldn't give a ****** about all that. They employ immigrant workers and house them in freezing caravans. The ones with land in the development boundary of the village will sell it to developers without a seconds thought. Filling the green belt with 'exclusive' new builds, pricing their neighbours kids out of the village, increasing traffic etc, etc. Or they sell the lot to some twit from London to drive round on his quad, getting paid to be non-productive. It's a ******ing joke!!

If you want to protect the countryside, stop their glorified benefit scrounging and bankrupt the c**ts.

This will bring educated people and new money to the industry. We will become ever more dependant on local produce in the future as import costs rise, don't leave it to the current bunch of retards to sort out.

Absolutely spot on - could not agree more. Most 'old school' farmers I know haven't got half a brain between them and seem to think we all owe them a living (yet still manage to send their kids to private schools).

BTW - In preference to buying a farm I would buy forestry any day. There's no inheritance tax on that - and no income tax either!

A few errors. You dont get paid extra for livestock. Thats what the single farm payment is all about, switching subsidy from production to environmental aims etc. There is no inheritance tax on farms, but there isnt on any other private businesses either. Also, in a recent ruling HMRC ruled that houses that were "out of character" with the farm were subject to tax, so as to avoid some of the abuses you highlight.

Yes, I agree that the CAP is a joke, but then so are public sector pensions, 47% top rate income tax (i.e. 40% income tax plus 13% employers national insurance) and the government pissing away 43% of GDP.

And you are a hypocrite, proclaiming your concern for the Natural World whilst seeking profit from the constructs of the Human World. Your profit is always at some cost to the Natural World.

Eco Conservative, just what does that mean?

Less people if that should include you and yours?

Absolutely spot on - could not agree more. Most 'old school' farmers I know haven't got half a brain between them and seem to think we all owe them a living (yet still manage to send their kids to private schools).

BTW - In preference to buying a farm I would buy forestry any day. There's no inheritance tax on that - and no income tax either!

Now that's interesting. I wonder if there are any areas where rough grazing could profitably be converted.