House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

70,000 New Jobs Created In Uk

http://www.startups.co.uk/eBay_entrepreneu...er.YcuBXMk.html

eBay entrepreneurs growing in number

09/02/2006

A growing number of Britons are turning to eBay to supplement their income, according to new figures released by the online auction site.
Nearly
70,000 people in the UK are making a living
by selling goods on the web site, the company claims, as items worth more than £2bn have been sold on eBay’s UK web site in the last year.

They're just flogging stuff from one person to another. No value creation there (unless they're net exporters which I doubt)

Gordon will be ever so proud (after he's forgiven them about the tax oversight)

I say hands off part-time traders, eben if they are conducting a regular business. However, I'd like to see ebay the company taxed more. It's basically making money for old rope now and with it's high listings fees you think they could better police the still COUNTLESS dodgy auctions.

By which I mean people selling odds and sods or hand screenprinted tshirts, not people importing palletloads of crap Chinese techno-tat.

I personally believe a second job shouldn't be taxed. If people want to spend their time working on an ebay sideline instead of watching Sky all evening, leave 'em to it.

By which I mean people selling odds and sods or hand screenprinted tshirts, not people importing palletloads of crap Chinese techno-tat.

I personally believe a second job shouldn't be taxed. If people want to spend their time working on an ebay sideline instead of watching Sky all evening, leave 'em to it.

Come on then you define the cutoff point, because you are speaking in favour of the Black Economy here.

So, in terms of profit is it £1k, £5k or £10k?

Come on then you define the cutoff point, because you are speaking in favour of the Black Economy here.

So, in terms of profit is it £1k, £5k or £10k?

eBay pay tax on their commission income therefore the government should not double tax and collect from the source of the commission income. Further, as most of the stuff on eBay has already been taxed in the form of VAT there is no reason why the government should double dip and tax at both ends. :lol:

Edited by Realistbear

eBay pay tax on their commission income therefore the government should not double tax and collect from the source of the commission income. Further, as most of the stuff on eBay has already been taxed in the form of VAT there is no reason why the government should double dip and tax at both ends. :lol:

You miss the point, ebay run a business, they pay tax on their profits.

If I sell on ebay items I have bought at x at x +20% I may make a profit, having deducted legitimate business expenses. Therefore I should pay tax.

It's no different to my setting up a market stall selling anything.

This is the equivalent of saying that property investors shouldn't pay capital gains tax, because the EA they used to sell the house is already paying tax on his commission.

Speaking as someone who makes a living off ebay, I guess I'm one of the so called 70,000, I'd say don't forget the impact & balance on other trades by ebay.

eg. HALF of 2nd hand Bookshops have closed in last 3 yrs (ref. tv doc cited inability to compete with ebay / amazon used book sellers) so big loss of retail jobs.

Retail shop landlords & some warehousing must be squeezed due to home working, I now look back & think I was mad having 16,000+ sq ft of london commercial property leases, when use of ebay would have reduced lease liabilties, wish I'd discovered ebay earlier.

IF the tax man had the resources or inclination, nicking ebay tax dodgers is like shooting fish in a barrel compared to car boots etc as there is a complete trackable audit trail. If you are doing it on a largish scale you are begging to get prosecuted eventually.

Speaking as someone who makes a living off ebay, I guess I'm one of the so called 70,000, I'd say don't forget the impact & balance on other trades by ebay.

eg. HALF of 2nd hand Bookshops have closed in last 3 yrs (ref. tv doc cited inability to compete with ebay / amazon used book sellers) so big loss of retail jobs.

Retail shop landlords & some warehousing must be squeezed due to home working, I now look back & think I was mad having 16,000+ sq ft of london commercial property leases, when use of ebay would have reduced lease liabilties, wish I'd discovered ebay earlier.

IF the tax man had the resources or inclination, nicking ebay tax dodgers is like shooting fish in a barrel compared to car boots etc as there is a complete trackable audit trail. If you are doing it on a largish scale you are begging to get prosecuted eventually.

Hey spaceship,

Another one of the 70,000 here :)

I came by eBay as a way of disposing some surplus stock we had for the properties and very quickly put 2 and 2 together and realised I could undercut the 'big boys' by a tremendous %age

As a result, we have now rented the cheapest warehouse space we could find and filled it to to the doors with stuff just for eBay.

We are taking people on who have been laid off from the 'traditional' retail world to come and work for us in the 'new' world of eBay.....even these guys cant grasp how we can sell our stuff so cheap. As you say, our strengh is their weaknes OVERHEADS

Just so you guys know - I expected a grand a week turnover. When it hit 10 grand in a week.....I knew it was time to form another company and all those other nasty things like VAT and tax registration, but it did happen much quicker than I anticipated!

Ebay power sellers will get theirs..

do you think GB will let anyone make money that easily??

Just type tax and ebay into google and see what it comes up with.

Originally they were only going to go after people who sold more than £60,000 worth of goods a year and investigate them but as soon as they see how easy it is , every one will get pinched!!

ETAX

The last tax rises have been wasted and the treasury is desperate for more money. It seems inevitable that the tax man will start swooping on E Traders.

Hey spaceship,

Another one of the 70,000 here :)

I came by eBay as a way of disposing some surplus stock we had for the properties and very quickly put 2 and 2 together and realised I could undercut the 'big boys' by a tremendous %age

As a result, we have now rented the cheapest warehouse space we could find and filled it to to the doors with stuff just for eBay.

We are taking people on who have been laid off from the 'traditional' retail world to come and work for us in the 'new' world of eBay.....even these guys cant grasp how we can sell our stuff so cheap. As you say, our strengh is their weaknes OVERHEADS

Just so you guys know - I expected a grand a week turnover. When it hit 10 grand in a week.....I knew it was time to form another company and all those other nasty things like VAT and tax registration, but it did happen much quicker than I anticipated!

Glad to hear your putting pressure on the 'big boy cartels' Slater. I run a much smaller operation dealing with usually 20-90 yr old reusable items as I have enviro scruples about selling new stuff & promote a re-use ethic. so individual listings means lower profit as its time consuming.

I find the generally honest, spin free, straight up ''what you see is what you get' descriptions & photo system of ebay refreshing, as with the general principle of payment up front, with paypal making small transactions worth doing by streamlining the process.

Personally, I find reaching a world wide market at low cost highly attractive and without compare. PAckings adrag though.

Ebay power sellers will get theirs..

do you think GB will let anyone make money that easily??

Just type tax and ebay into google and see what it comes up with.

Originally they were only going to go after people who sold more than £60,000 worth of goods a year and investigate them but as soon as they see how easy it is , every one will get pinched!!

I hope the major scammer abusers & tax dodgers do get theirs. I heard that the tax man widened their interest to anyone with a 50+ feedback rating.

There is a lot of bulls-it hype about ebay though, there is a hell of a lot of competition & many categories are swamped, so its simply not profitable to compete. Dealing with 100's of 'has it been posted' emails is not everyones cup of tea.

THe debt laden may swamp it furhter in a dash to liquidate their MEw'd / cc'd assets. THink the jurys still out out on that one though at present.

Did you have a specific reference in mind with your google /ebay search suggestion?

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

As you have to provide so much physical evidence to trade on eBay (phone number, bank account details, etc etc etc) It seems only the foolish would try and run an operation (even if its small time) and not declare that income as a wee bit silly.

It would probably take a tax inspector a couple of years to investigate thoroughly a market trader whereas it would probably take him no more than 3 clicks of a mouse to do a full and detailed investigation of someone trading on eBay....anyone who fails to grasp that, does so at their own peril :o