House Price Crash Forum

Fears money-printing bonanza could stop Bank tackling inflation surge

tep1

HOLA441
2 hours ago, adarmo said:

On the other hand there's a good group of friends (accountants and lawyers) who are fortunate enough to be able to earn very well for a 'standard' (50 hours week) full time job. But even on those nice salaries i think they're about as well off as my degreeless father working in lower management of the civil service 30 years ago housing wise. I could barely afford to buy my parents house from them as a director in a tech firm with no dependents while my father bought it in early 1990s on one salary with a wife and four kids to support. 

Different times i guess. 

My father left school at 14, worked as a gas fitter then went into lower sales management. We had a 4 bed semi in the SE London suburbs, nice garden etc 13 miles from Westminster. My mum never worked and my grandmother lived with us...always someone home for  us 3 kids. We lived 5 mins from the school.

He retied at 63 with a big pension...although he didnt get to enjoy of much of it my Mum did.

All of my parents school friends lived locally, all had the same education and similar houses.

Try doing all of that today...and people think we are better off now.

HOLA442
17 minutes ago, Roman Roady said:

My father left school at 14, worked as a gas fitter then went into lower sales management. We had a 4 bed semi in the SE London suburbs, nice garden etc 13 miles from Westminster. My mum never worked and my grandmother lived with us...always someone home for  us 3 kids. We lived 5 mins from the school.

He retied at 63 with a big pension...although he didnt get to enjoy of much of it my Mum did.

All of my parents school friends lived locally, all had the same education and similar houses.

Try doing all of that today...and people think we are better off now.

+1  That is what made the West - it wasn't the Military that defeated the USSR, it was showing those people how good 'normal' folks had it here.

HOLA443
5 hours ago, Social Justice League said:

You adapt (win) by not taking part.  Let's sit back and watch western capitalism burn.

Do you have some good pointers about how to do that? The trouble is that can mean still living like a student in your mid forties.  It's not easy to live off the grid for a long time without ending up homeless.

HOLA444
16 minutes ago, Tiger131 said:

Do you have some good pointers about how to do that? The trouble is that can mean still living like a student in your mid forties.  It's not easy to live off the grid for a long time without ending up homeless.

Work less, earn less, spend less.  No need to live off the grid completely, just tip the balance so that you have more free time available to you and little or no debt.

Let's be honest, without borrowing bent fiat from the banking system, most people in their mid forties would still be living like students and imo there is nothing wrong with that.  Many like to pretend that they are successful in life, when all they are really good at is signing loan papers and swiping credit cards.

HOLA445
42 minutes ago, Tiger131 said:

And of course there's no guarantee Western capitalism will collapse.

HOLA446
35 minutes ago, Social Justice League said:

Work less, earn less, spend less.  No need to live off the grid completely, just tip the balance so that you have more free time available to you and little or no debt.

Let's be honest, without borrowing bent fiat from the banking system, most people in their mid forties would still be living like students and imo there is nothing wrong with that.  Many like to pretend that they are successful in life, when all they are really good at is signing loan papers and swiping credit cards.

I'm with ya. Get as far out of the ratrace as reasonably possible

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
3 minutes ago, Si1 said:

I suspect Western capitalism might be safer if they didn't...

Dont worry, they said they're kind of stuck now, they can't act to stave off inflation, ie people's wages and savings being devalued as it will affect asset prices, their own unearned untaxed wealth. 

Im paraphrasing but this is what they're saying. 

Angry yet? 

HOLA4410
33 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Dont worry, they said they're kind of stuck now, they can't act to stave off inflation, ie people's wages and savings being devalued as it will affect asset prices, their own unearned untaxed wealth. 

Im paraphrasing but this is what they're saying. 

Angry yet? 

Not angry really. These are the compromises that govts always had to make up until the 1980s and the relentless dropping off of inflation that gave them a free pass for twenty years to just drop IRs. Their job is harder now and we are just starting to see the contortions.

HOLA4411

Why is no one in Europe talking about dangers of rising inflation?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/mar/24/why-is-no-one-in-europe-talking-about-dangers-of-rising-inflation

"...But the international debate has been strangely US-centric. Few people have yet considered the particular inflationary dangers that lurk in the eurozone, where the monetary base has risen in recent years to a much higher level than in the US, relative to annual economic output"

Sshhhh...the sheeple don't need to be spooked! Keep it quiet at the back there!

HOLA4412
On 17/03/2021 at 22:53, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Watch what they do not what they say.

I find it hard to believe that they are going to let inflation rip the way people fear. 

That could be wishful thinking of course, though the Americans have really lost the plot.

But given the BoEs MO for the last 10+ years of trying to control/manipulate the economy by using words rather than actions I am wondering if they are going hell for leather to frighten people into spent their hard earned ( i.e. buy houses ).

It is pretty frightening either way.

This really wont end well.

The only inflation governments and central banks have ever given a toss about is wage inflation. Prices can do as they like but if workers don't have pricing power nothing will be done to tackle inflation. People will substitute lard for butter all the way down to eating grass and spending all their savings an then the government will be presented with another set of problems. Even then they wont care cause they see that 3rd world countries have a cohort of rich people who do very well.

HOLA4413
On 18/03/2021 at 08:55, Social Justice League said:

You adapt (win) by not taking part.  Let's sit back and watch western capitalism burn.

Does that actually give you the best life though?

For some people perhaps yes.  For others they don't want to spend their short span on this Earth doing nothing, buying nothing, going nowhere, just to slightly reduce the last decimal place of the amount of money Jeff Bezos earns or Rishi Sunak taxes.

HOLA4414
2 hours ago, scottbeard said:

Does that actually give you the best life though?

For some people perhaps yes.  For others they don't want to spend their short span on this Earth doing nothing, buying nothing, going nowhere, just to slightly reduce the last decimal place of the amount of money Jeff Bezos earns or Rishi Sunak taxes.

Come now, paying off interest on a mortgage is no life either. All you own at the end of it is bricks and mortar. Why not value your time not at work instead?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
On 18/03/2021 at 14:46, Social Justice League said:

I did

Gets kinda boring though eventually. I miss bullying in the office now though i need a bad manager to hit back at now and again and show up on group emails.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420