House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
karhu

Back To The Serious Stuff

I think CPI came in at 2% last month. A lot hinges on what's happening to inflation. What will the change be this month?

How close can we get to the actual figure?

So we all expect the inflation figure to be higher this month, breaking the trend. I have a feeling that we might have a shock.

January sales render this data irrelevent, do not be suprised if its down.

Anyone agree?

The CPI for Febuary and March are of much more interest IMO.

I voted for a drop of 0.1%. Frankly I think that these figures are severely dubious and personally I have very little faith in them.

Everyone sees prices going up everyday, yet this is never reflected in the official figures. Everything that you must have is increasing (electric, gas, council tax,whilst the stuff you don't need is apparently getting lower (dvd players and the like).

They only seem to reflect that the price of a barrel of oil as fallen back. Although by, as of last week, an astounding 3 dollars a barrel from it's highpoint last year.

Let's strip out all the things that are going up and leave the rest. If only HPI was measured in the figures.

Cheers

Stan

going for a rise in CPI,maybe an extra 0.2%......oil gone up 20% since november and it takes a few months to filter through.

petrol has gone up about 5p/litre since november and the supermarkets have been sneakily adding a couple of pence onto their products(due to transport costs I suppose).

If inflation stays put it's only because non-essential items are falling off a cliff.....if that's the case get ready for a major bout of redundancies about now......it's company reporting season,so watch the headlines!

I voted for a drop of 0.1%. Frankly I think that these figures are severely dubious and personally I have very little faith in them.

Everyone sees prices going up everyday, yet this is never reflected in the official figures. Everything that you must have is increasing (electric, gas, council tax,whilst the stuff you don't need is apparently getting lower (dvd players and the like).

They only seem to reflect that the price of a barrel of oil as fallen back. Although by, as of last week, an astounding 3 dollars a barrel from it's highpoint last year.

Let's strip out all the things that are going up and leave the rest. If only HPI was measured in the figures.

Cheers

Stan

Agreed. we only have phoney inflation. everything that actually goes up in price has / will be excluded

CPI figures due out at 0930 today.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/investing/finan...ERLING-OPEN.XML

LONDON, Feb 14 (Reuters) - Sterling held near a six-week low versus the dollar and was steady against the euro on Tuesday as markets looked ahead to inflation data for fresh clues on whether the Bank of England is likely to cut interest rates in coming months.

The BoE cut rates to 4.5 percent last August and most economists expect it cut once more this year. But the bank could be reluctant to do so if there are signs of high energy costs feeding through in to other prices.

Edited by karhu