House Price Crash Forum

Self Build Advise & Cost Derry Londonderry

Avlfc

Hi Guys 

I’m new on here , I have recently agreed to purchase a site with foundation’s , electricity supply & water supply. The house will be Approx 2800 Sq ft and I’m looking to get an estimated cost per SQ Ft for a reasonably Modern finish. 

I am also weighing up whether to go traditional block or timber frame any pointers? 

any advice or help would be much appreciated 

On 26/02/2021 at 19:30, Avlfc said:

Hi Guys 

I’m new on here , I have recently agreed to purchase a site with foundation’s , electricity supply & water supply. The house will be Approx 2800 Sq ft and I’m looking to get an estimated cost per SQ Ft for a reasonably Modern finish. 

I am also weighing up whether to go traditional block or timber frame any pointers? 

Depends on many factors, traditional brick is better, timber frame is a pain as the inside walls will be full of dents in no time.  The price depends on the house design, but the minimum per square foot would be £60 not including the kitchen and bathroom installation, paint, driveway surfacing etc.  In the trade they would price based on first and second fix which is basically a house ready for paint, kitchen, bathroom fittings, carpets etc to be installed.  You could do self build but you would need to know what you are doing.  If want slate roofing you need to increase the price, just as an example.  I am responding as I went down the same route 5 years ago and I know it’s hard to get advice.  You also need to cost for a garage, it’s better to get that done when the house goes up.  I’d say based on my experience you’d be paying 170k for the house to first and second fix stage.  Add the cost of kitchen, bathroom units, flooring, paint, driveway, garage.  Also, make sure you check the house plans carefully, you need to build what’s approved by the planning office.  You don’t want to find later that the foundation’s don’t work with what you want or and/or the plans don’t fit what you were wanting.  

“traditional brick is better, timberframe is a pain as the inside walls will be full of dents in ntime”

This is a ludicrous statement. Walls inside a timber frame house are plaster boarded the same as any stud wall in a brick house. Depending on the quality of the plaster board, the walls can be incredibly durable. I’ve lived in a timber frame house for years and haven’t had a single ‘dent’. If you’ve bought a new build house in the last 5 years, it’s probably a timber frame and the buyers probably don’t even know. If your timber frame house is ‘full of dents in no time’ then it’s probably your behaviour that needs addressing rather than the walls.

On 26/02/2021 at 19:30, Avlfc said:

Hi Guys 

If you’re going down the self build route, I’d recommend employing a quantity surveyor to act for you as an employers agent and construction manager, handling all the paperwork with local authorities and contracts/tendering with sub contractors. Theoretically they should be saving you substantially more money than you pay them (and take away a lot of the hassle and risk).

25 minutes ago, nigooner said:

“traditional brick is better, timberframe is a pain as the inside walls will be full of dents in ntime”

This is a ludicrous statement. Walls inside a timber frame house are plaster boarded the same as any stud wall in a brick house. Depending on the quality of the plaster board, the walls can be incredibly durable. I’ve lived in a timber frame house for years and haven’t had a single ‘dent’. If you’ve bought a new build house in the last 5 years, it’s probably a timber frame and the buyers probably don’t even know. If your timber frame house is ‘full of dents in no time’ then it’s probably your behaviour that needs addressing rather than the walls.

That’s good going, usually those timber frame houses are full of dents and those bits where the nails holding the plasterboard pop out.  I know a few couples in timber frame and they are tortured with keeping the dents away.  Personally, I have never had one so can’t speak to any behavior that does or does not lead to these issues.  My own house has no stud walls, it’s traditional two skin brick.  

On 28/02/2021 at 14:44, satsuma said:

That’s good going, usually those timber frame houses are full of dents and those bits where the nails holding the plasterboard pop out.  I know a few couples in timber frame and they are tortured with keeping the dents away.  Personally, I have never had one so can’t speak to any behavior that does or does not lead to these issues.  My own house has no stud walls, it’s traditional two skin brick.  

In most 'traditional built' houses the ceilings and most of the upstairs internal walls are formed in timber studs or joists and plasterboard. If constructed right there should be no problems. Timber frame houses can be build to a higher air tightness level. but if depends who you go for the kit. If its the cheapest quote then expect the problems referred to above. If you go for the established more professional firms you will get a better product. Traditional is still cheapest but if you are self managing you will have more trades and materials to look after.

As for build cost allow £100 per sq foot. With kitchen, tiling and carpets etc this can end up at £120 per sq' foot (depending on your spec). With one off houses you may also have the costs of a long laneway. if you have the electric already at the house that can save you quite a bit.