House Price Crash Forum

Stamp Duty Three Month Extension & CGT Hike

rantnrave

25 minutes ago, longgone said:

I recently discovered being like this is not quite as disastrous as i once thought no internal clock telling you have to get hitched and make kids buy a home get in debt then make friends with the same type of kunts so you can compare lives or hear chit about the goings on in wifys coffee mornings or listen to hubby going on about car payments. 

Take a step back in life and watch how others live and what they aspire to or listen to the the self congratulatory BS they tell themselves if you find all this stuff normal you are insane. 

I once thought like this until I met countless ex-partners (plural) parents.. 

Now I live by your closing paragraph.. Christ how mundane that life is; in the unlikely event next miss frugality has more than me, then sure, I’ll share.. 😂 

Ontopic: CGT should include wasting assets too.

Edited by Money Frugality

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, longgone said:

compare lives or hear chit about the goings on in wifys coffee mornings or listen to hubby going on about car payments. 

I would rather blow my brains out than be around people like that.

Having kids doesn't mean you have no choice in your mates.

No idea on the home life, people generally exaggerate their life if they are married or coupled up not like eternal miserable kunts like me. as we don`t give two phucks about anything most of the the time anyway. 

i recently discovered being like this is not quite as disastrous as i once thought no internal clock telling you have to get hitched and make kids buy a home get in debt then make friends with the same type of kunts so you can compare lives or hear chit about the goings on in wifys coffee mornings or listen to hubby going on about car payments. 

Take a step back in life and watch how others live and what they aspire to or listen to the the self congratulatory BS they tell themselves if you find all this stuff normal you are insane. 

I listen to family telling me my car and clothes are a bit tatty, I smile and say nout.  I’m not playing the consumption game anymore.  Better for the pocket and the environment to keep things humble.  I might even become a hippie later:)

No idea on the home life, people generally exaggerate their life if they are married or coupled up not like eternal miserable kunts like me. as we don`t give two phucks about anything most of the the time anyway. 

i recently discovered being like this is not quite as disastrous as i once thought no internal clock telling you have to get hitched and make kids buy a home get in debt then make friends with the same type of kunts so you can compare lives or hear chit about the goings on in wifys coffee mornings or listen to hubby going on about car payments. 

I listen to family telling me my car and clothes are a bit tatty, I smile and say nout.  I’m not playing the consumption game anymore.  Better for the pocket and the environment to keep things humble.  I might even become a hippie later:)

4 hours ago, satsuma said:

Nah i don`t go that far.  i only buy quality stuff when it has a 75% discount or i isn't buying. 

6 hours ago, longgone said:

Nah i don`t go that far.  i only buy quality stuff when it has a 75% discount or i isn't buying. 

To be honest I can’t spare the time to hunt for bargains, if you have any advice on where to look let me know.  One friend said Debenhams was worth a look but I don’t rate the quality there.  

19 hours ago, househunter123 said:

So all this talk about the very unlikely scenario of yet another extension that was being discussed here, was wrong I guess. Guess prices aren't going to be coming down anytime soon. I give up. Will have to continue renting for a bit longer...

If you can buy, then buy. Holding out for the magic crash is a fools game as two decades of posts on here have aptly proven. Another month, another wrong prediction just as Brexit was supposed to crash it all and then COVID was going to see 70% drops baked in, and so on and so on. 

20 hours ago, househunter123 said:

So all this talk about the very unlikely scenario of yet another extension that was being discussed here, was wrong I guess. Guess prices aren't going to be coming down anytime soon. I give up. Will have to continue renting for a bit longer...

Look, no one has a crystal ball.  If you wait the chances are the market will soften.  Start doing viewings and get a sense of the market and what’s out there.  I’d be aiming to buy this year.

1 hour ago, satsuma said:

Look, no one has a crystal ball.  If you wait the chances are the market will soften.  Start doing viewings and get a sense of the market and what’s out there.  I’d be aiming to buy this year.

Totally wrong. Loads of hpc posters have crystal balls.

7 minutes ago, wighty said:

Totally wrong. Loads of hpc posters have crystal balls.

Oddly most of them log in, do 200 posts then declared they are buying a house despite knowing prices are insane

Meanwhile you can double your savings in a year elsewhere. 

On 26/02/2021 at 20:13, satsuma said:

To be honest I can’t spare the time to hunt for bargains, if you have any advice on where to look let me know.  One friend said Debenhams was worth a look but I don’t rate the quality there.  

i just scour tkmaxx and amazon now and again the european amazon sites used to be pretty good but not sure now after brexit. 

i bought a load of timberland boots last year for around £35 each the cheapest ones were £23 a pair so i bought 4 kept one and sold the other 3 on ebay for £75 each  to pay for all the other clothes i bought cheap. 

got some nice leather jackets from tk maxx too £50 each, decent jeans are more difficult to find and the quality has cheapened so much. 

Conveyancers get it, will Sunak listen?

The Society of Licensed Conveyancers (SLC), the Bold Legal Group (BLG) and the Conveyancing Association, have united to pen a joint letter to the chancellor proposing that a completely different approach is taken to removing stamp duty on properties up to £500,000 which is currently due to expire on 31st March.

The proposed approach is simple – allow any transaction on which a conveyancing lawyer has been formally instructed by a buyer before 28th February 2021 to qualify for the exemption provided the property purchase completes within 12 months.

Simon Law, SLC Chairperson, said: “Restoring the property market to a sense of normality has to be the priority as we emerge from the effects of the Covid pandemic restrictions.

“The SDLT ‘holiday’ has had the effect of injecting an unsustainable stimulus into the market. Bringing it to an end with a ‘cliff edge’ expiry date will result in a post code lottery worth several thousand pounds to some and not others, and has already created considerable stress on buyers, lawyers, lenders, search companies and local authorities amongst others.”

By allowing ‘natural market forces to resume in the property market’, the post code lottery ‘would be removed, and transactions would follow their normal path to completion without an artificial time constraint’, it is claimed.

42 minutes ago, Deckard said:

By allowing ‘natural market forces to resume in the property market’, the post code lottery ‘would be removed, and transactions would follow their normal path to completion without an artificial time constraint’, it is claimed.

The supposed 'Free Market' Tories haven't let natural market forces run for the last 10 years.  You can see Banks pushing SVR and tightening lending criteria only for BoJo and Rishi Rich to shake the magic money tree again and again.

Surprising the press keep referencing the SD holiday as a driver.  Prices have risen much more than than the value of the saving, and seem insensitive to the prospect of it being taken away.

Ditto for interest rates - these have increased since last year, and for those most in need of it, has become much harder to get.

Feels like this market is driven by an ever decreasing pool of wealthy buyers (see Rightmove data that suggests transaction volumes are down and falling).

Pricing based on fewer and fewer transactions.  Buyers oblivious to some of the factors coming down the pipeline near term (wealth taxes, property taxes, a release of properties from Boomers currently in hiding, costs related to ‘greening’ property).  That’s before one considers that the main driver of all this (everyone being forced to spend more time at home) is about to go into reverse - with people spending less time at home, they will find they don’t need as much space as they thought (and living in the boonies is a bit boring).

Not suggesting a crash is coming (it isn’t).  Just that the current froth feels like it will be short lived, and the headlines are misleading.