House Price Crash Forum

Smartphones are NOT supercomputers. They're not even as powerful as a modestly priced desktop.

So tired of stupid articles aimed at kiddults comparing their smartphones with enterprise computing.  Sure a flagship phone now has up to 6 cores & a GPU so can render a game at 1440p at 100fps.  Well big deal, a £500 gaming desktop can do that, & its motherboard provides far more scope for scalability & i/o capability such that it could be easily re-purposed as a file or application server for hundreds of clients.  Phones in their current form could never do this without a massive amount of bespoke re-engineering.  A mainframe is architected to service tens of thousands of users across vast geographical networks with all the timing, queuing & resilience challenges that involves.  Where are the phone powered banking systems if they're so flipping amazing..?

Its not even an apples & oranges comparison - more like apples & dolphins.

More like dumbphones to me.  I like an old design classic retro 3g Samsung D500 slide phone, and a piano finish acer laptop. I have a sat nav and a digi camera if I'm feeling adventurous.

Someone could offer me a gadget the size of a matchbox with 1000 fold increase over a , a camera that could record 1 year in high def for £20 - (and even a  telephone built in), it's still a no from me...all nonsense to me.

I am a scavenger of old technology, ride early 80's motorcycles, play a 70's guitar, 90's technics hifi seperates and was still using an immersion heater for hot water without central heating until a couple of years ago !  Today I was listening to Deep Purple live in 1974.

So I get what you are saying, be a little old fashioned and retro when in a disposable economy can reap benefits.  

In a previous 'career' I had a temp job as a binman.  The amount of stuff people throw out is amazing.  I even worked as a scrap metal collector, shouting for scrap out of a scruffy old transit pick up -where there's muck there's brass  ;)   

At least you can get one. Try getting an up-to-date decent gaming machine - good luck in getting hold of a 3080!

Anyway I've not heard those comparisons being seriously made. That they're more powerful than a decent computer from a decade or so ago, sure, but not with the latest and greatest.

On 15/02/2021 at 13:15, Riedquat said:

At least you can get one. Try getting an up-to-date decent gaming machine - good luck in getting hold of a 3080!

Anyway I've not heard those comparisons being seriously made. That they're more powerful than a decent computer from a decade or so ago, sure, but not with the latest and greatest.

Anyone who actually needs one can get 3080 or equivalent off a scalper on Ebay for about double the RRP or by buying a complete build then either pulling the card and selling off the rest or transfer drives and sell off the old kit.  Its a bad situation but by the Summer they'll be a glut.

A 2008 IBM Z10 E64 could be specified with 64 cores and 1.5TB of RAM (!) so setting all the I/O capability and code optimised over 40 years aside, its core grunt was massively more than a bagful of the latest phones.
But then I guess the headline '13 year old £1,000,000 mainframe very much more powerful than galaxy S20' won't get many clicks or sell any phones😉

Edited by hotblack42
grama

No way would I pay a scalper. That just encourages them, there's never a need for this sort of technology that justifies that.

I've got one on order (not from a scalper), since I'm keen on games and my current machine struggles a bit with VR but I'm happy for it to turn up whenever it does.

Don't think it's fair to go to the extreme like that :) Funny how the latest phone obsessed are so keen on pointing out how powerful their phones are though. When smartphones took off they replaced quite a few computers despite being less powerful because the computing power had reached the point when the phone could do all they wanted. So why go banging on about computing power? I'd have thought better battery life should be a bigger sell.

My reasonably up to date Samsung Galaxy S10 is far more convenient and responsive than my el-cheapo 4 year old HP laptop with its overstuffed hard-drive now going like treacle (soon enough I'll get a new, much better laptop or even desktop, to keep up me updating my phones).

Edited by Big Orange
2 hours ago, Big Orange said:

4 year old HP laptop with its overstuffed hard-drive now going like treacle

Cloning an ageing, slow HDD onto an SSD transforms performance.  Done this for 2 laptops and a desktop now.

Typing this on a 9 year old HP pavilion i5 that's been upgraded to WD Blue 500Gb SSD, and from 4Gb to 8GB RAM.  Still good machine for office apps, VPN and web browsing.  It was a pretty tip top laptop when new to be fair.

Edited by hotblack42
grama

The other limitation phones have irrespective of their internal spec is their tiny user interface which is hard to fix if you want it to fit in your pocket - not helped with every app insisting on demanding taking up screen space and your attention on any message arriving!.  Looking back now I cant believe we ever managed using desktop machines with only one monitor screen though!

On 14/02/2021 at 21:58, hotblack42 said:

So tired of stupid articles aimed at kiddults comparing their smartphones with enterprise computing.  

Its not even an apples & oranges comparison - more like apples & dolphins.

So true. I'd never do anything serious on a smart phone. Short emails, web browsing etc, mainly use them as 2FA devices, hardly even used them as phones this last year due to Teams.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein
On 16/02/2021 at 21:03, hotblack42 said:

Cloning an ageing, slow HDD onto an SSD transforms performance.  Done this for 2 laptops and a desktop now.

Typing this on a 9 year old HP pavilion i5 that's been upgraded to WD Blue 500Gb SSD, and from 4Gb to 8GB RAM.  Still good machine for office apps, VPN and web browsing.  It was a pretty tip top laptop when new to be fair.

Yes, an SSD and maybe a RAM upgrades makes the most difference. Over spec'ing CPUs is largely a waste of money, unless you really need a workstation class machine. I have an 11 year old HP laptop, and still runs Manjaro/Ubuntu fine.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein