House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Btl Landlords Surveyed Now Admit Stress

http://www.mortgageintroducer.com/news/new...p?unqueid=16222

Landlords admit to buy-to-let stress

A Homebuyer Show survey has revealed the majority of UK landlords suffer from stress, with many attributing this to finding appropriate tenants (36.8 per cent).
“Finding reliable and appropriate tenants is one of the biggest jobs for a buy-to-let landlord and it is absolutely crucial that everything is done properly.

With new stringent regs coming in this year and a faltering market its a wonder Landlords are not suffering from clinical depression. Get Rich Quick schemes do come at a price?

A Homebuyer Show survey has revealed the majority of UK landlords suffer from stress, with many attributing this to finding appropriate tenants (36.8 per cent).
“Finding reliable and appropriate tenants is one of the biggest jobs for a buy-to-let landlord and it is absolutely crucial that everything is done properly.

With new stringent regs coming in this year and a faltering market its a wonder Landlords are not suffering from clinical depression. Get Rich Quick schemes do come at a price?

:lol::lol:

This bit made me laugh:

No landlord wants to be contacted by tenants in the middle of the night because a water pipe has burst or similar and it can be especially difficult to cope with this if the landlord also works, has several properties or lives a distance away from their properties. On top of all that, landlords also have to worry about complying with government regulations on health and safety standards for houses of multiple occupation, keeping paperwork up-to-date, and making sure they are getting the best deal on their mortgage.

This bit made me laugh:

No landlord wants to be contacted by tenants in the middle of the night because a water pipe has burst or similar and it can be especially difficult to cope with this if the landlord also works, has several properties or lives a distance away from their properties. On top of all that, landlords also have to worry about complying with government regulations on health and safety standards for houses of multiple occupation, keeping paperwork up-to-date, and making sure they are getting the best deal on their mortgage.

:lol:

Landlording is so over-rated. People seem to think it is such a wonderful way of making money and showing how clever they are. But I bet the reality of it is often fairly grinding.

said it before, will say it again.

Being a landlord is such a peachy job that All but ONE of my previous landlords tried to sell me the flat when I gave notice to quit

It must just be a SUPER way to 'earn a living' if virtually every landlord I've ever met is desperate to get out of it. Especially since rents have barely moved in 8 years, when wages have risen by more than a third.

And interest rates on the rise in the next couple of months too - jeez. what a fab 'investment opportunity'

ahhhh so that's why TTRTR'S in such a bad mood today......and I thought it was PMT! ;)

Finding reliable and appropriate tenants is one of the biggest jobs for a buy-to-let landlord and it is absolutely crucial that everything is done properly.

That's odd: the biggest problem I've had as a tenant is finding reliable and appropriate landlords. Most of the places I looked at when I moved last year seemed to be owned by cowboys or people who were going to be reposessed if they didn't get someone to pay a large chunk of the mortgage.

I am fortunate to have an excellent Landlord. But....he had a nightmare last time with his previous tenant as evidenced by the occasional creditor's letters that arrive chasing whoever it was for unpaid bills. The result was that the Landlord was so picky about tenants that the property was empty from April to July 2005 when we took up residence (we have excellent credit history). An awful business to be in with so much risk of defaulting tenants.

BTW the house we are renting has a MV of about 300k and our rent is 750 p.m. 3% return on investment and house prices fell in this area by almost 5% last year (Stratford -West Midlands).

Riches from BTL is another one of those NuLabour promises gone sour. The only "miracle" is that it has lasted so long without a bust.

Most professional landlords employ property managers to do all the tedious work for them like fixing loose door hinges and collecting the rent. This of course erodes rental yields.

This bit made me laugh:

How dreadful that they should be expected to take responsibility for their property. In some 9 years of renting, I have had all of 1 decent landlord. The others fell into the following categories:

(1) BTL numpty/newbie with no interest whatsoever in the property beyond what money they can screw out of the tenant. Zero intention to keep the property maintained. Bought purely to profit.

(2) Property "gurus" who bought with the intention of doing it up and selling, and now can't sell for a profit. Don't really want to rent out but have no choice, and have now also lost interest in maintaining the property or taking responsibility for it.

(3) "Professional" landlords who expect the tenant to barely breathe on their property and treat the tenant like a sufferance, rather than someone who is paying their mortgage.

(4) Total bloody morons who don't really know what to do with their property because they've now married or moved or something, so they let it out while they make their minds up and then expect the tenant to sod off after about 5 minutes notice, apparently not caring how much trouble they cause to the tenant. These ones are the reason I use letting agencies, because at least the agencies know the law.

In short, all but 1 landlord had a pretty awful attitude towards their tenant(s).

We fancy having a bath at our place (only a shower at the mo.) so a quick call to the landlord & he agrees, even after I say we'll need a new hot water tank too. 'Just tell me when you want some money, and I'll give it to you' he says. :D

Edited by Badger

Just look what stress can do to your average Landlordav-166.jpeg

EDIT:Thats pretty nasty picture whan at full size, euurgh

Edited by Kam

That's odd: the biggest problem I've had as a tenant is finding reliable and appropriate landlords. Most of the places I looked at when I moved last year seemed to be owned by cowboys or people who were going to be reposessed if they didn't get someone to pay a large chunk of the mortgage.

Absolutely. What about the stress of dealing with a******e landlords, especially if they happen to be in north London and called Mike Phillips. Lords, indeed.

Aw f***in didums! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Guest Winners and Losers

Met my Landlord for the first time today. As soon as he walked through the door the first thing he said is that he wants to do EVERYTHING to keep US happy. Great! My dog and cat were running a muck around the house as we spoke. He was so concerned that a tiny bit of the back porch had had a coat of emulsion but not been glossed and did we want it done (ah, no). He told me that he broke up with his wife and has bought her out, had to remortgage (so that's the rise in mortgage approvals!) and is happy for us to stay for at least 2 years so he can avoid redemption penalties.

We then got chatting about a house a couple of doors down that just had a SOLD sign put up. He said they had it on for 190,000, I said I saw it on Rightmove at 184,950. Interesting he said, they bought it for 170,000 just 18mths ago. It will be interesting to see what they got for it. I can tell my Landlord is an amateur BTL - doing up another property at the moment. Ours is all wooden floors, ikea kitchen etc. I actually asked him 'Have you been watching too much 'How to be a property developer'. Ha, ha.

Annyway, you know how I love to play devils advocate. Started to talk about the potential of a crash. As usual he thought now chance, just a 'stagnation' for the next couple of years. I said that is what everyone thinks because we have been in this boom time and people have forgotten that prices can go down (he is only in 30's I would say). I know that he paid 135,000 for this place in mid 2003 (told him I saw it on Rightmove). He reckons he could get 170,000 for it now.

Oh, and finally he said, of course, HE'S IN IT FOR THE LONG TERM.

Guest Winners and Losers

Another quick point, have BTL friend in London. I asked if they had ever had any problems (have a couple of properties), they said no, never. I don't believe it.

Where does it say they are terrified of a HPC?

What % in the survey were worried about prices falling?

To me the article was a thinly veiled promotion for property management services. Nothing more.

Still, it allowed some more HPC headline spinning courtesy of Realistbear...

:o:o:o

Oh my GOD!

Realistbear - I think you have a stalker!

:lol::lol::lol:

Realistbear is difficult to miss.

After reading your post I just checked how many active threads he/she has today. I think I saw over 12.

I doubt I have visited the majority of these let alone left a reply but feel free to check with the moderators.

Not much of a stalker then...

I'm not the only one to point out RBs blatant double standards wrt VI spin BTW.

Realistbear is difficult to miss.

After reading your post I just checked how many active threads he/she has today. I think I saw over 12.

I doubt I have visited the majority of these let alone left a reply but feel free to check with the moderators.

Not much of a stalker then...

:lol: Without a Paddle, Fanny Magnet and Needle. Perhaps they came over from stock market crash.co.uk to carry out an organised raid.

Err, this site is called HousePriceCrash, nor HousePriceBoom. The homepage should give it away really.

Err, this site is called HousePriceCrash, nor HousePriceBoom. The homepage should give it away really.

Thanks for that.

That main price graph on the homepage must have confused me the last time I looked...

youarehere2006.gif

Edited by Without_a_Paddle

Thanks for that.

That main price graph on the homepage must have confused me the last time I looked...

youarehere2006.gif

Aww, picky, picky on typos.

Do you really want me to explain the graph?

When you get to a peak there's a sharp drop, called a crash!

Edited by Mr Blek

Aww, picky, picky on typos.

Do you really want me to explain the graph?

When you get to a peak there's a sharp drop, called a crash!

Oh come on, where's your sense of humour?

(I didn't notice your typo BTW. I just highlighted NOT HOUSEPRICEBOOM to add to the humour of my point about the boom shaped graph)

Oh come on, where's your sense of humour?

(I didn't notice your typo BTW. I just highlighted NOT HOUSEPRICEBOOM to add to the humour of my point about the boom shaped graph)

Now now ladies!