House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thunderbird900

Scam The Scammers

As I, along with most members of HPC, consider current house prices the biggest scam of modern times, I have found some light relief on another site. Now this might be slightly off topic, but it is VERY relevant.

The Nigerian advance fee fraud is a disgraceful scam that has been ongoing for a number of years. Quite simply, you receive an e-mail or letter supposedly coming from someone in the Nigerian oil ministry who wants to launder millions of pounds, dollars etc. They need a Western bank account and YOUR details to transact this scam. Of course there will be costs up front which you need to pay, etc, etc, ad nauseam.

Anyway, now this has gone way beyond the Nigerian oil ministry and affects anyone advertising high value goods on E-Bay or even your local paper. They offer to buy your goods at a higher price, you pay them them a small fee, they send you a bouncing cheque by which time you have paid them, sob, sob. Anyway, most of you intelligent people out there know all about this.

So now some very clever people have decdided to scam the scammers.

Go to www.419eater.com The 419 refers to the Nigerian penal code for scammers. Read the letters section. Hours of endless fun and merriment.

I must stress

Home - Economic and Financial Crimes Commission - EFCC

The Federal Government Agency responsible for tracking down and prosecuting financial crimes.

www.efccnigeria.org/

Nigerian goverement has taken some action themselfes now and seemd pretty effective.

The bottom line, I must stress, ... should continue ... I must stress a lot of these frauds and scams use Western Union to transfer and pay money. My advice is never use Western Union to pay a third party or someone you don't know. Plus of course the obvious one,

IF IT SEEMS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT'S A FRAUD.

I recently advertised a 1969 Triumph Bonneville for £5,000. I received over twelve scam replies offering well over the asking price. Usually written in poor English, most likely coming Africa or an internet cafe in Amsterdam.

You would be amazed how many intelligent people lose their life savings to these scumbag fraudsters.

I used to reply to them taking the piss etc. But have stopped after reading an article apparently alot of the people that have been scammed have realised it is a scam but the fraudsters have people stationed around the world to threaten you, beat you up unless you pay, a few people have even been murdered.

ive been a member of 418eater for a couple years, its a great site.

They best way is to read through the scam baits to get an idea of how it all works before trying yourself, also get yourself a tutor.

They do a fine service over there in battling the scammers.

I used to reply to them taking the piss etc. But have stopped after reading an article apparently alot of the people that have been scammed have realised it is a scam but the fraudsters have people stationed around the world to threaten you, beat you up unless you pay, a few people have even been murdered.

I can't believe that article. The people who carry out these scams do so from the comfort of a chair and a computer. More than enough mugs reply to them and fall for the scam so why should they bother chasing after people who don't pay up. Sounds like an urban myth to me.

I can't believe that article. The people who carry out these scams do so from the comfort of a chair and a computer. More than enough mugs reply to them and fall for the scam so why should they bother chasing after people who don't pay up. Sounds like an urban myth to me.

Apparently not they work 10 to an office in Lagos. I must admit though I had always thought that it must be 1 in a million that responded (I also thought the same about phising) however they claimed in this article it was more like 1 in 10,000. They detailed a few cases in america where people had been beaten up. It makes sense that they would have some people in the country to smooth the process over.

I guess once they have gone to the trouble of setting the deal up and someone pulls out at the last minute it is in their interest to make sure they get the £10,000.

If you want to read about the greatest bait ever google for "anus laptops"- the fifth or sixth result will be the thread on thescambaiter.com that has the long and highly amusing story. theFailure used to post on 419eater.com but for some reason seems to have decided to start his own site since.

DEAD

I had some tit trying this on with me several years ago when I was trying to sell my car.

It was not a spam email, they contacted me through the advert and mentioned specifics so it wasn't a mail shot.

Anyway, he wanted to pay me twice as much, then expected me to send the difference to him. I said, you can buy it at the same price or not at all. This chap kept going on and on... and wanted my address to send the cheque. So, I gave my work address and actually received a fradulent cheque in the post.

I knew it was a scam when he wanted to pay twice as much, but I thought I would play them along a bit.

I then duly sent the cheque to the local bank, explaining to them it was fraudulent. It appears, a company at that branch had been indundated with fradulent cheques!

As I, along with most members of HPC, consider current house prices the biggest scam of modern times, I have found some light relief on another site. Now this might be slightly off topic, but it is VERY relevant.

The Nigerian advance fee fraud is a disgraceful scam that has been ongoing for a number of years. Quite simply, you receive an e-mail or letter supposedly coming from someone in the Nigerian oil ministry who wants to launder millions of pounds, dollars etc. They need a Western bank account and YOUR details to transact this scam. Of course there will be costs up front which you need to pay, etc, etc, ad nauseam.

Anyway, now this has gone way beyond the Nigerian oil ministry and affects anyone advertising high value goods on E-Bay or even your local paper. They offer to buy your goods at a higher price, you pay them them a small fee, they send you a bouncing cheque by which time you have paid them, sob, sob. Anyway, most of you intelligent people out there know all about this.

So now some very clever people have decdided to scam the scammers.

Go to www.419eater.com The 419 refers to the Nigerian penal code for scammers. Read the letters section. Hours of endless fun and merriment.

I must stress

This has got to be the funniest thing I have ever seen....I have been sat here literally wetting myself reading the baits :D:D:D

This one HERE really took the biscuit for me - its a little bit adult in places but very VERY FUNNY!!!

Here's an interesting fact about 419eater.com

It was a low bandwidth site - i.e. only a handful of users

One day a journalist did an artical on the 419 scam and put the link the paper (Observer or Guardian - can't remember which).

That one link made 419eater.com what it is today

Imagine the same for this site.