Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Basingstoke Gateway: Homeowners' lives could be transformed


Recommended Posts

https://www.basingstokegazette.co.uk/news/19036681.basingstoke-gateway-homeowners-lives-transformed/?fbclid=IwAR2a-TKgdbC8Lnl7_LDBFg1C9XyNjHfOU2kIGEn3pQI5miuHRjOODy9JNJM

RESIDENTS in three tranquil cottages on the edge of Basingstoke could be plunged into the middle of an industrial estate if a proposed warehouse development gets the go ahead.

The owners of Ganderdown Cottages have spoken out about how the development would impact them.

They say it will make their gardens unusable, increase pollution and cause safety concerns with increased traffic on the roads.

As previously reported, four warehouses are being planned at land close to Junction 7 of the M3, with Amazon set to use the largest.

Overton_1514827946.JPG&action=ProductDet

The area is set to be transformed in the near future, with plans for a hospital, mass rapid transit system and two new housing estates also revealed for the immediate vicinity.

The three families have been told their once peaceful rural homes are now "totally unsellable" because of the threat of development.

Up to 800 lorries will pass by just metres from their bedroom windows

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, the nimbys are bringing out the mental health card nowadays. Got to keep up to date, concreting over the greenbelt is just so last year.

Fully expecting new housing estates or Amazon warehouses to be a racist or transphobic development if they are built within 10 miles of homeowner, Mrs Mildred "I am not a Nimby, but" Lemonsuck's 8 acre cottage estate at some point in the next year or two.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Ah, the nimbys are bringing out the mental health card nowadays. Got to keep up to date, concreting over the greenbelt is just so last year.

Fully expecting new housing estates or Amazon warehouses to be a racist or transphobic development if they are built within 10 miles of homeowner, Mrs Mildred "I am not a Nimby, but" Lemonsuck's 8 acre cottage estate at some point in the next year or two.

:D excuse me, that’s Mx Mildred. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have total sympathy for these people. How would you feel if you had a delightful, peaceful cottage in the countryside and some dick plans a cunting great housing and industrial estate 500 metres down the road?

Edited by Glenn
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Glenn said:

I have total sympathy for these people. How would you feel if you had a delightful, peaceful cottage in the countryside and some dick plans a cunting great housing and industrial estate 500 metres down the road?

It is actually also going to be an Amazon Fulfilment Center

IMG_3213_-_Version_2__3_.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PeanutButter said:

:D excuse me, that’s Mx Mildred. 

 

More hated on Twitter now than JK Rowling 😭

1 hour ago, Glenn said:

I have total sympathy for these people. How would you feel if you had a delightful, peaceful cottage in the countryside and some dick plans a cunting great housing and industrial estate 500 metres down the road?

I am not oblivious to the main concern of these silver tops that their property prices might not improve by the good double digit percentage next year that they should. I am concerned that people's perceived logical sphere of interference can extend far beyond what their finances allow. In your example, one person should have a say on what happens in about 1km2 of land, 500m in all directions. For the population of the UK, that's the size of Asia, Europe, and Australia combined (maybe even more).

These things need to be built somewhere, these people haven't purchased that land they feel they should have a say over the use of, so it's unlucky guys. We couldn't let people have that kind of freedom of what happens 'in their backyard' in a country the size of Russia!

As a happy medium, they could get free Prime for a year maybe or something like that? Their houses are going to be worthless in 3 years anyway (even if the warehouse/estate isn't built) so it's completely fine in the end.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Huggy said:

These things need to be built somewhere, these people haven't purchased that land they feel they should have a say over the use of, so it's unlucky guys. We couldn't let people have that kind of freedom of what happens 'in their backyard' in a country the size of Russia!

Thankfully we do have planning processes. Yes agreed that these people do not own the land near them. However we do have laws were they can be compensated if their property is blighted. I'm sure Amazon can pay them to move or make compensation if they stay. There is a very small new build estate near me about 15 large detached houses they are going to have a six lane motorway right outside their front doors they were all offered a decent financial package to move and they did. One couple had literally moved in a few weeks prior to the letter landing on their mat explaining what was happening. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Insane said:

Thankfully we do have planning processes. Yes agreed that these people do not own the land near them. However we do have laws were they can be compensated if their property is blighted. I'm sure Amazon can pay them to move or make compensation if they stay. There is a very small new build estate near me about 15 large detached houses they are going to have a six lane motorway right outside their front doors they were all offered a decent financial package to move and they did. One couple had literally moved in a few weeks prior to the letter landing on their mat explaining what was happening. 

Some times it’s not about the money it’s the feeling of living somewhere forever and then having to move in the name of progress, old people find that very difficult if they have a historical feeling of belonging 

 

Just playing the devils advocate 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Insane said:

Thankfully we do have planning processes. Yes agreed that these people do not own the land near them. However we do have laws were they can be compensated if their property is blighted. I'm sure Amazon can pay them to move or make compensation if they stay. There is a very small new build estate near me about 15 large detached houses they are going to have a six lane motorway right outside their front doors they were all offered a decent financial package to move and they did. One couple had literally moved in a few weeks prior to the letter landing on their mat explaining what was happening. 

Compensation for what?  They have no right to a view.   Traffic congestion..? Amazon wouldn't go there if the infrastructure was not in place and besides I expect the developers will have to fork out a fortune in planning gain, including road infrastructure. 

People need homes and jobs and a handful of wealthy self important nimbys will have to accept it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Wayward said:

Compensation for what?  They have no right to a view.   Traffic congestion..? Amazon wouldn't go there if the infrastructure was not in place and besides I expect the developers will have to fork out a fortune in planning gain, including road infrastructure. 

People need homes and jobs and a handful of wealthy self important nimbys will have to accept it.

Compensation for blight which people are entitled too and do get at present. Do you want it scrapped and have more little people trampled on by people like Amazon. How do you know how much wealth the people in these houses have ? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, shlomo said:

Some times it’s not about the money it’s the feeling of living somewhere forever and then having to move in the name of progress, old people find that very difficult if they have a historical feeling of belonging 

 

True but monetary compensation can enable them to buy something similar elsewhere I think that is called compromise.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Glenn said:

I have total sympathy for these people. How would you feel if you had a delightful, peaceful cottage in the countryside and some dick plans a cunting great housing and industrial estate 500 metres down the road?

Yeah damn those people who need houses and jobs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Fishfinger said:

Basingstoke is vast cancerous tumour of soulless Bovis and Barratt sweatboxes constantly seeping down the M3 corridor.

By 2030 it will have reached Penzance...

No the real cancer is not the houses that are built but the ones that are not, causing hardship and distress for  a whole generation who cant afford houses because we arn't building enough of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

Yeah damn those people who need houses and jobs.

Damn those people who keep building more and more sh1te and making more and more of a mess of the country. They should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

Funny how more and more crap keeps getting built, fvcking up quality of life for all around, yet the jobs situation changes entirely independently of it anyway. If the "provides jobs" justification for every depressing tin box worked we'd be suffering from massive overemployment by now, businesses desperate to grab anyone they can, job choices everywhere with no effort to get one, but what we seem to get is things stay more or less the same there in the long run but with ever more degraded surroundings for our lives. But the ability to actually appreciate the world is clearly lost on many people, they'd chuck the Mona Lisa on a fire because they're slightly chilly and wonder what the fuss is about. Complete scum.

Edited by Riedquat
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

No the real cancer is not the houses that are built but the ones that are not, causing hardship and distress for  a whole generation who cant afford houses because we arn't building enough of them.

Wrong, modern development cancer that's constantly spreading and growing. Anyone who isn't disgusted by it is beneath contempt, and a blight on the country.

Now there are also those who at least have the decency to recognise it as a necessary evil, which would mean having to address the current shortfall in housing whilst also trying to address the demand side of things (anyone who doesn't recognise population growth as the damaging disaster that it is is too clueless to have anything worthwhile to say on this).

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Wrong, modern development cancer that's constantly spreading and growing. Anyone who isn't disgusted by it is beneath contempt, and a blight on the country.

Now there are also those who at least have the decency to recognise it as a necessary evil, which would mean having to address the current shortfall in housing whilst also trying to address the demand side of things (anyone who doesn't recognise population growth as the damaging disaster that it is is too clueless to have anything worthwhile to say on this).

Why is an Amazon warehouse worse than a farmed field? Both are industrially manipulated plots of land, used to maximise return on investment. Neither is anything like wilderness or wild nature.

This person thinks the field is pretty and the warehouse is ugly. Another person might think the warehouse is beautiful and the field is dreary and desolate. The warehouse is an amazing and inspiring piece of infrastructure, it could be admired like a fine mechanical watch or sports car or ship. The field is just mud that has been dosed with synthetic pesticides and fertilisers to create a cash-crop monoculture.

Land use changes, because people change in their choices and preferences.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, erat_forte said:

Why is an Amazon warehouse worse than a farmed field? Both are industrially manipulated plots of land, used to maximise return on investment. Neither is anything like wilderness or wild nature.

This person thinks the field is pretty and the warehouse is ugly. Another person might think the warehouse is beautiful and the field is dreary and desolate. The warehouse is an amazing and inspiring piece of infrastructure, it could be admired like a fine mechanical watch or sports car or ship. The field is just mud that has been dosed with synthetic pesticides and fertilisers to create a cash-crop monoculture.

Land use changes, because people change in their choices and preferences.

"Neither is natural" is hardly the same as all are the same. Might as well say well, a 60s tower block and a decent house, what's the difference, both buildings. This sounds like yet another case of trying to pigeonhole things in ludicrously simple extremes - if it isn't exactly one then chuck everything else in the other pigeonhole.

Modern intensive agriculture is hardly a shining, wonderful example of a great environment to live in, that's true and fair enough, but two wrongs don't make a right.

I honestly believe a lot of people significantly underestimate the impact on the quality of our everyday surroundings on quality of life, and this becomes more and more of a problem the more time people spend never looking up and around and seeing them (although that also has the benefit of not caring about the negatives if  you don't notice them). But whilst we can argue about what is attractive and what is not, because it's pretty much entirely subjective, if you're lucky enough to have it then it's pretty damned wonderful. But so many don't that I suspect they don't even know what they're missing.

Edited by Riedquat
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Riedquat said:

Wrong, modern development cancer that's constantly spreading and growing

Right, and this is happening while we have a planning permission system. So clearly, either planning is not stopping this from happening or is even the very cause of it in the first place.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Locke said:

Right, and this is happening while we have a planning permission system. So clearly, either planning is not stopping this from happening or is even the very cause of it in the first place.

Actually I think that the endless pursuit of population and economic growth is, and a view that there's something wrong with anyone who doesn't take a bleakly utilitarian view of everything. The planning system just tinkers around the edges, doesn't really change much, just makes it take longer and cost more. Although it does seem to favour the large scale doing a bad job and put too many barriers in the way of an individual doing a good job.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

a view that there's something wrong with anyone who doesn't take a bleakly utilitarian view of everything.

Don't you believe that the morality of taxation being theft is not relevant, because the tax victim derives some benefit from the tax enforcer's actions?

How is that not base utilitarianism?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Locke said:

Don't you believe that the morality of taxation being theft is not relevant, because the tax victim derives some benefit from the tax enforcer's actions?

How is that not base utilitarianism?

A view that bleak utilitarianism drives far too much does not equate into rejecting anything done for utility. Like I keep pointing out life isn't about 100% one extreme or the other, having to have everything that could possibly be associated with a stance or rejecting all of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Glenn said:

I have total sympathy for these people. How would you feel if you had a delightful, peaceful cottage in the countryside and some dick plans a cunting great housing and industrial estate 500 metres down the road?

I'd be very cross.  But that doesn't mean it's necessarily the wrong decision either.

It's the same old story - everyone wants to buy stuff from Amazon because it's cheap and delivered fast.  But no-one wants an Amazon warehouse at the end of their road.  But SOMEONE has to, or we can't have the Amazon stuff.

I don't blame Amazon for wanting to build a warehouse, or for the locals for objecting to it.  But as others have said, we have the planning process to arbitrate.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.