House Price Crash Forum

£500 if you get Covid, the start of "stimulus" cheques?

4 hours ago, reddog said:

Great point, this is the Cobra effect:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobra_effect

The term cobra effect originated in an anecdote that describes an occurrence during India under British rule. The British government was concerned about the number of venomous cobras in Delhi.[3] The government therefore offered a bounty for every dead cobra. Initially, this was a successful strategy; large numbers of snakes were killed for the reward. Eventually, however, enterprising people began to breed cobras for the income. When the government became aware of this, the reward program was scrapped. When cobra breeders set their now-worthless snakes free, the wild cobra population further increased.

Wow, interesting!  Reminds me of the sort of things the book "Freakonomics" covers.

34 minutes ago, regprentice said:

This is for positive tests, but don't a lot of people self isolate on the assumption they could have it, without ever actually having a test? Surely this creates extra demand on testing centres??? 

I had a test Tuesday booked at 12 in at 3 they is plenty of testing capacity imho, we were the only ones there  - the problem I think is people  going to work knowing they have symptoms hard to avoid amongst the low paid on zero hour contracts and the gig economy often on public transport - its a much bigger problem but this government doesn't understand poor lower working class people after all they try to avoid them.

In addition the lazy will  see it as thus - go to as many illegal house parties as I can, catch covid get paid £500

Just to clarify, although I am not sure giving £500 to self isolated is necessarily a good idea.

I think this may lead to a more general "stimulus" program, giving people money for no reason, this is a worse idea.

what is new about this ?

create local facebook group 

get a "hot" covid infected phone charge other T&T users to stand by your window for a couple of minutes while the T&T pickups up your "HOT" Bluetooth signal. 

wait for the alert claim £500.

facebook group owner rinse and repeat. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/test-and-trace-support-payment-scheme-claiming-financial-support 

6 hours ago, reddog said:

Great point, this is the Cobra effect:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobra_effect

The term cobra effect originated in an anecdote that describes an occurrence during India under British rule. The British government was concerned about the number of venomous cobras in Delhi.[3] The government therefore offered a bounty for every dead cobra. Initially, this was a successful strategy; large numbers of snakes were killed for the reward. Eventually, however, enterprising people began to breed cobras for the income. When the government became aware of this, the reward program was scrapped. When cobra breeders set their now-worthless snakes free, the wild cobra population further increased.

Reminds me of Cormac McCarthy’s ‘Blood Meridian’. Except that was people’s scalps....

14 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

Surely we should not be operating a scheme which seemingly offers people a cash incentive to catch COVID?

That's why this is just talk and won't happen.

2 hours ago, crash-and-burn said:

Would it be crazy to think that some people would be so desperate for £500, they would seek to get themselves infected, and try to give it to any friend or family member who also wanted the hand out?

Depends if home test or not......a sample that is not your own sample?;)

5 hours ago, stuckmojo said:

Watch for telegram groups offering positive swabs so that one can get the £500 and buy a new PS5. We are governed by the stupidest bunch of bedwetters in history. ****** me. 

you would need to catch covid twice for a ps5 ;) 

8 hours ago, stuckmojo said:

Watch for telegram groups offering positive swabs so that one can get the £500 and buy a new PS5. We are governed by the stupidest bunch of bedwetters in history. ****** me. 

Utter fantasy  ........ There's no way you'll be getting hold of a PS5 for only £500!

1 hour ago, Roman Roady said:

Perhaps they have realised that the vaccines are not the way out and we need herd immunity to "get back to normal"??

Once all over 60s have had the vaccine I can see people going to covid parties to get it over with (and of course it is not that simple). Even the most loyal Boris fan must realise that we are all close to the edge. Another 6 months of lockdown is not acceptable.

53 minutes ago, Trampa501 said:

Once all over 60s have had the vaccine I can see people going to covid parties to get it over with (and of course it is not that simple). Even the most loyal Boris fan must realise that we are all close to the edge. Another 6 months of lockdown is not acceptable.

Another 6 months is definitely not acceptable, with the vaccine and up coming warmer weather we should be pulling out of this.

Yet, Boris and co. seem to be tightening and not giving any dates when we will come out of these lockdowns, seems like madness!!