House Price Crash Forum

Universal Credit: £400/month

Can you live on that? 

I think you need less than 16k in savings. No idea if you need to be actively looking for work either as with JSA.

Furlough ends in March which pays 80% of wages up to 2k/month (I think?) so those who go on UC after furlough ends will see a BIG drop in income.... 

Unless of course they extend the scheme.  

Edited by Warlord
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Warlord said:

Can you live on that? 

I think you need less than 16k in savings. No idea if you need to be actively looking for work either as with JSA.

Furlough ends in March which pays 80% of wages up to 2k/month (I think?) so those who go on UC after furlough ends will see a BIG drop in income.... 

Furlough will be extended, and extended and extended. 

UC @ £400 also also you to work ~20h week - and keep the money.

A single person - anyone with school age kids gets much much more -  would also get some housing allowance.

UC is designed as a half step between benefits and work. Its not there for you to live forever on.

2 minutes ago, spyguy said:

UC @ £400 also also you to work ~20h week - and keep the money.

A single person - anyone with school age kids gets much much more -  would also get some housing allowance.

UC is designed as a half step between benefits and work. Its not there for you to live forever on.

There are also tax credits available I think the BBC news report said (Child tax credits)

The whole thing is enormously complicated 

29 minutes ago, Warlord said:

Can you live on that? 

Nope, UC is zero, been claiming since March, payouts, nothing, Zero.  Every £1300-£1400 pcm claim is netted of to zero because the wife takes home £2800 pcm. 

****** the poor, they can suffer, i have too. 

1 minute ago, markyh said:

Nope, UC is zero, been claiming since March, payouts, nothing, Zero.  Every £1300-£1400 pcm claim is netted of to zero because the wife takes home £2800 pcm. 

Can you apply for tax credits because of the kids ? (child tax credit) BBC said that's worth a few k. 

All very generous.

That's why people are queuing up at Calais and risking drowning  /suffocation to get in.

Of course will ultimately collapse catastrophically when the load bearing donkey collapses.

Continental friends have commented  about a nation of single mums

39 minutes ago, Warlord said:

Can you live on that? 

I

Depends - are you supposed to pay rent out of that? If so, then no. Where I live (not exactly expensive by most standards) even rent is more than £400 a month. Council tax is £150 a month even in low bands. Would have thought you need more like £1000 to run a household on a minimal budget.

1 minute ago, MancTom said:

Depends - are you supposed to pay rent out of that? If so, then no. Where I live (not exactly expensive by most standards) even rent is more than £400 a month. Council tax is £150 a month even in low bands. Would have thought you need more like £1000 to run a household on a minimal budget.

I believe you can get Housing benefit when on UC  (could be wrong). 

4 minutes ago, Gribble said:

All very generous.

Define generous. If I lost my job I would get zero. Not so in most western european countries where I would get something like 80% of my salary for 1-2 years.

Generous for some people, not for all.

"That's why people are queuing up at Calais and risking drowning  /suffocation to get in."

More because its not contributory? You can get it without having paid in, which I believe is not the case in most western european countries. So in those I would get far more, but only if I had paid in all my life.

5 minutes ago, MancTom said:

Define generous. If I lost my job I would get zero. Not so in most western european countries where I would get something like 80% of my salary for 1-2 years.

"That's why people are queuing up at Calais and risking drowning  /suffocation to get in."

More because its not contributory? You can get it without having paid in, which I believe is not the case in most western european countries. So in those I would get far more, but only if I had paid in all my life.

Everyone is guaranteed 6 months JSA

The system is very complex and in some cases mean with staff sometimes bullying claimants.

I have never been through it (thank heavens) @longgonehas and knows a fair bit. 

20 minutes ago, Gribble said:

All very generous.

That's why people are queuing up at Calais and risking drowning  /suffocation to get in.

Of course will ultimately collapse catastrophically when the load bearing donkey collapses.

Continental friends have commented  about a nation of single mums

You are an 18 year old woman and your choices are:

Go to university, get a £40,000 debt, move into a low level graduate job, pay your own rent out of that, try and save for a deposit and maybe by the time you are 35 have saved enough to think about buying a 20% share of a one bed flat and postpone having kids until you can afford them. And then lose your job after paying in for 15 years and all you get is £70k a week contributory JSA for 6 months and must use up all your house deposit savings until they are below £6k (so your house buying dream has gone).

Or have 3 kids as a lone parent, claim welfare including a top up for 'special needs' as you haven't the parenting skills to control then and get free housing for 20 years.  Get a part time job for a couple of hours a day and get tax credits and more. Literally thousands a month potentially especially if you live in a high housing cost area like London.

Why exactly would you choose the former unless you are a mug or have a skill which allows you to emigrate?

We hear endlessly about 'man made' climate change - but for every extra child on the planet 50 adults have to give up flying to offset the emissions impact. Four times as many people on the planet as a century ago - so why do we encourage yet more children when the planet is in danger? Perhaps it should be woman made climate change - as at least in the west its their choice to have kids.

Terribly politically incorrect I know - but as we see with COVID fewer and fewer people have any concept of self reliance or personal responsibility as its the government's job to sort all their problems out including funding their life choices.

PS Our crazy whole non contributory benefits system which rewards the feckless and punishes those who try and work and save - including many women - is of course why we left the EU!

Edited by MARTINX9
Just now, jiltedjen said:

Can get a house share in Bradford for £50 a month including bills.

leaves £200 for food booze, fags, clothes. 

Probably with some scumlord in a crap area. NO thanks . 

I think you can get HB on UC so most rent will be paid depending on what the local authority decides 

40 minutes ago, MancTom said:

Th Germans have got it right. It's contributory and they pay 80%? for a period to enable you to find alternative employment. That is a proper system.

We have a non contributory system that serves no one that well. And we left the EU because our system, which we had control over, incenivises immigration and a dole for life culture, trashing our economy in the process....go figure.

Edited by IMHAL
34 minutes ago, markyh said:

Clearly its sad you're without work, and as an aside I find the way government withdraws support to pretty much 0 if you have savings of any real size wrong and a dis-incentive to behaving responsibly, but are you really suffering with a household income of £2800 pcm? I thought you currently had £200k+ in bitcoin stash too,

Perhaps its more of phycological suffering this pandemic is putting you through? All I can suggest is let go of the anger, it will do you no good in the end. I find the pandemics impacts to peoples lives affects everyone differently, and this can make it hard sometimes to empathise / understand other peoples positions, I apologise if I have made this mistake with yours.

As usual with the Tories it's a race to the bottom in the effort to punish people who have the audacity to be unemployed. The usual suspects circle round and tut in disgust. As Shaun Bailey points out, 'the poor aren't poor, they just can't budget properly.' 'It's no use giving the poor more money because they buy things they want rather than need.' According to shaun, 'the poor and unemployed could easily save for a housing deposit if they could just get their finances in order.' the latest polls have Bailey trailing Khan by 21 points. Rofl

Meanwhile Boris and his pals rile in shock at Sir Keir, a labour party politician, for doing politics. As Ben Bradley points out, 'what is the point of opposition day motions anyway? They're just there to score political points and make the government look bad'. Dehenna Davison nods along on twitter in furious agreement. 'he's got a point' 

Paraphrased. But this is literally what is happening right now. 

Edited by Postman
50 minutes ago, Warlord said:

Everyone is guaranteed 6 months JSA

The system is very complex and in some cases mean with staff sometimes bullying claimants.

I have never been through it (thank heavens) @longgonehas and knows a fair bit. 

only if you have accrued enough NIC credits in the last 2 years 

Just to add more info regarding OOWB on the continent. In the Netherlands, for each year you have worked in the past, you get 1 month unemployment benefit at 70% of your last salary. For example, work 6 years, get 6 months unemployment benefit as a safety net (and after this is used up you go onto lower state benefits). It does not matter how much you have in liquid/illiquid assets either- you have a right to that 70% past salary. This is how it should be in the UK.

49 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

You are an 18 year old woman and your choices are:

Go to university, get a £40,000 debt, move into a low level graduate job, pay your own rent out of that, try and save for a deposit and maybe by the time you are 35 have saved enough to think about buying a 20% share of a one bed flat and postpone having kids until you can afford them. And then lose your job after paying in for 15 years and all you get is £70k a week contributory JSA for 6 months and must use up all your house deposit savings until they are below £6k (so your house buying dream has gone).

Or have 3 kids as a lone parent, claim welfare including a top up for 'special needs' as you haven't the parenting skills to control then and get free housing for 20 years.  Get a part time job for a couple of hours a day and get tax credits and more. Literally thousands a month potentially especially if you live in a high housing cost area like London.

Why exactly would you choose the former unless you are a mug or have a skill which allows you to emigrate?

We hear endlessly about 'man made' climate change - but for every extra child on the planet 50 adults have to give up flying to offset the emissions impact. Four times as many people on the planet as a century ago - so why do we encourage yet more children when the planet is in danger? Perhaps it should be woman made climate change - as at least in the west its their choice to have kids.

Terribly politically incorrect I know - but as we see with COVID fewer and fewer people have any concept of self reliance or personal responsibility as its the government's job to sort all their problems out including funding their life choices.

PS Our crazy whole non contributory benefits system which rewards the feckless and punishes those who try and work and save - including many women - is of course why we left the EU!

fook me 70k a week ???

6 months is all i would need. 

3 minutes ago, longgone said:

fook me 70k a week ???

6 months is all i would need. 

If only - apologies for the typo!

Fook all for doing the right thing and paying in for decades - better to be a lazy fooker and get paid shedloads for doing nowt but having lots of kids by choice you cannot and have no intention of providing for. Cos this isn't 1960 and having children in the UK is a choice.