House Price Crash Forum

Should the UK seek to re-join the EU?

Should the UK seek to re-join the EU?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK seek to re-join the EU?

• Yes, we should have a referendum on re-joining - Let the people decide with the benefit of hindsight.
    • No, we had a referendum in 2016 and that's that.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly not in the near term, no, I dont think so.  The decision has been made.  We'd end up with a worse deal then we had originally.  That's not to say that i don't think we should rejoin at some point in the future.

I'm generally not in favour of any more plebiscites, as the public have been shown to make poor, ill conceived decisions on complex issues.  For many people, Brexit turned into a religious argument, logic and good will went out of the window.  

Edited by Martin_JD
edit
1 minute ago, Martin_JD said:

Certainly not in the near term, no, I dont think so.  The decision has been made.  We'd end up with a worse deal then we had originally.  That's not to say that i don't think we should rejoin at some point in the future.

I'm generally not in favour of any more plebiscites, as the public can't be trusted to make poor, ill thought out decisions on complex issues.

Not if we negotiate a deal that includes membership of the Euro and Schengen.

2 minutes ago, Martin_JD said:

I'm generally not in favour of any more plebiscites, as the public have been shown to make poor, ill conceived decisions on complex issues.  To many people, Brexit turned into a religious argument, logic and good will went out of the window.  

I agree how brexit became. 

Right now - no.  The vote was made.  What we need now is an accurate measurement of the benefits and suffering it brings; democracy has a sibling called Accountability.

Once the facts are known and the br*xiteers have died off (its well known the vote was won by the 65+ cohort)

Just now, msi said:

Right now - no.  The vote was made.  What we need now is an accurate measurement of the benefits and suffering it brings; democracy has a sibling called Accountability.

Once the facts are known and the br*xiteers have died off (its well known the vote was won by the 65+ cohort)

not true, I was member of vote leave and active. There were plenty of young people. 

I can see huge benefits in rejoining.

Less red tape: the ability to travel without a visa, lower priced fresh food rather than food that has been stuck at the docks.

Single market: common safety standards which guarantee quality and no taxes.

Consumer protection laws: eg controlled roaming charges, 2 year warranty etc.

Protection for UK produce: easier exports, protection from dumping by foreign producers and  protection of names like 'Scotch Whisky'

Stronger border control: eg not allowing Chinese Intelligence officers posing as Hong Kongers (no issues eit real Hk residents ) to enter the UK en mass and no unbridled immigration from India which would be part of their trade deal requirements.

Better worker protection: Boris already wants to make you work a 70 hour week by removing the working time directive.

Joint scientific endeavour: great access to European research projects.

Great currency stability: Sterling is up and down like a whore's draws.

9 minutes ago, msi said:

We need a virus that is overwhelmingly fatal to the over 65s?

Oh hang on........

But seriously, I genuinely do think this is part of the reason for BoJo's policy of heavy lockdown. Look at the sge profile of the Conservative membership and the general demographics of their supporters. I do think there will be a wipe out at the next election.

We should get some view from the local elections; unless they are actually suspended which looks likely.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein
6 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Better worker protection: Boris already wants to make you work a 70 hour week by removing the working time directive.

Companies got around the working time directive, ask those who work in City Banks and other financial institutions.

In fact some Companies got around most worker protection especially in the lower end jobs where workers needed more protection than workers in large wealthy companies by bringing in the Zero Hours Contracts. 

What did the precious EU do ? Answer Nothing. 

If the EU wants to survive it should learn from Brexit and change from it's one size fits all for every member state. But the problem is the 10,000 plus unelected behind the scenes people all on £100,000 + a year + expenses are far too arrogant to look at why we left.  

I don't think we will ever re join the question you should be asking and the EU should be asking is who will leave next ? And will the EU survive ? 

God forbid that the limit of people's ambitions are to rejoin a failed organization. Think bigger, broader and better if you want my support. Give up your national sovereignty (and that includes you SNP and all the other devolution nonsense) and create a new single state.

16 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

But seriously, I genuinely do think this is part of the reason for BoJo's policy of heavy lockdown. Look at the sge profile of the Conservative membership and the general demographics of their supporters. I do think there will be a wipe out at the next election.

No there won't be. Labour are winning in the polls right now but people are only giving their opinion. If they went to vote tomorrow or next year or in 4 years Labour will not get elected.

I myself and I know many others young and old die in the wood Labour ( look at the red wall up north) who cannot vote for a party that has been taken over by Anti -White , Anti British Values , Anti Woking Class woke idiots. For any chance of successes Labour needs to look at itself and change but the extreme left have taken a very strong hold of Labour and it is going to be very difficult to reverse that trend.   

1 minute ago, micawber said:

God forbid that the limit of people's ambitions are to rejoin a failed organization. Think bigger, broader and better if you want my support. Give up your national sovereignty (and that includes you SNP and all the other devolution nonsense) and create a new single state.

Well, time will tell hey. 

It's a bit of a gamble though isn't it. 

1 minute ago, Insane said:

No there won't be. Labour are winning in the polls right now but people are only giving their opinion. If they went to vote tomorrow or next year or in 4 years Labour will not get elected.

I myself and I know many others young and old die in the wood Labour ( look at the red wall up north) who cannot vote for a party that has been taken over by Anti -White , Anti British Values , Anti Woking Class woke idiots. For any chance of successes Labour needs to look at itself and change but the extreme left have taken a very strong hold of Labour and it is going to be very difficult to reverse that trend.   

What we need is for the real Conservatives in the "Tory" party to oust BJ and his band of Brexiteers and appoint a leader who supports old fashioned Conservative values. 

35 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

We need a virus that is overwhelmingly fatal to the over 65s?

Oh hang on........

We should get some view from the local elections; unless they are actually suspended which looks likely.

I've said before that demographics are Tories worst nightmare. Their traditional base will be half dead by 2GE's.  Add to that a 18+ cohort that hasn't benefited from Tory economics and you have a massive shift on the way.  Either to the left to to birth a new centrist Party.

The Tories need to evolve or become full authoritarian. 

In the US the Republicans have a similar problem - they've only had power due to the imbalance of the electoral college. Biden can use the Trumpers whining to push a genuine one-man-one-vote approach.

9 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

What we need is for the real Conservatives in the "Tory" party to oust BJ and his band of Brexiteers and appoint a leader who supports old fashioned Conservative values. 

No one knows what a 'True' Conservative is any more.  They've become their own parody.

MacMillian centrism?

Heath Pro Europe solidatiry?

Thatcher 'Market' driven?

Major 'Dual speed' market ?

Cameron 'Hug a hoody / bother a pig'