House Price Crash Forum

Should the UK seek to re-join the EU?

Should the UK seek to re-join the EU?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK seek to re-join the EU?

• Yes, we should have a referendum on re-joining - Let the people decide with the benefit of hindsight.
    • No, we had a referendum in 2016 and that's that.

HOLA441
58 minutes ago, longgone said:

really ? none of that comes from the eu not sure why i had 45 eggs delivered yesterday 

Plenty of eggs in my local Tesco at the weekend. Don't know about washing up liquid, I didn't need any, but there were no signs of gaps in the shelves.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
8 hours ago, longgone said:

really ? none of that comes from the eu not sure why i had 45 eggs delivered yesterday 

Yes, really. None for delivery. I don't go to the shops at the moment. But probably the lack is probably actualy COVID-related as the same thing happened in April. 

Edited by NobodyInParticular

HOLA445
HOLA446
1 hour ago, NobodyInParticular said:

Yes, really. None for delivery. I don't go to the shops at the moment. But probably the lack is probably actualy COVID-related as the same thing happened in April. 

well that will be a warehousing issue in your locality rather than anything EU related. 

Nearly all chicken eggs and cheese milk is British sourced.  saying that back in march i had that problem but when you have hoarders that's what happens. 

i suggest the local corner shop that`s where i found eggs and flour last time. 

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
10 hours ago, longgone said:

well that will be a warehousing issue in your locality rather than anything EU related. 

Nearly all chicken eggs and cheese milk is British sourced.  saying that back in march i had that problem but when you have hoarders that's what happens. 

I know. I am just baffled as to why it's an issue currently. 

10 hours ago, longgone said:

i suggest the local corner shop 

If there was such a thing, maybe. 

HOLA4411
10 minutes ago, NobodyInParticular said:

I know. I am just baffled as to why it's an issue currently. 

If there was such a thing, maybe. 

I mainly shop in corner shops i.e. the mini Tesco, Sainsburys, Waitrose and M&S, all within half a mile of my house. No gaps on the shelves anywhere. If you can't get eggs, I suggest you find a different delivery service, rather than trying to blame it on Brexit.

There was a farmer in Cornwall a couple of days ago giving away 250,000 eggs because restaurants are shut and not buying them.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
On 16/01/2021 at 21:43, erat_forte said:

The UK should split up first. Then the former UK member states can each decide on their own merits whether to apply to join. My guess is NI first, then Scotland, then Wales. Maybe England eventually, but the whole EU will look very different by then.

This^

Northern Ireland is still effectively in the EU.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Scotland voted to remain in the EU but was dragged out despite Darling and his merry men promising us a vote to remain was the only way to guarantee our place in Europe. 

Sure, the “Once in a generation” tag line used by the SNP was a bit mischievous, but wouldn’t it be sorely undemocratic to tell a generation of young voters that their elders made a decision 5/10 years ago and they should suck it up for another 30.

I think English voters have to respect the result of the Brexit referendum because there hasn’t been a material change of circumstances. How this has played out has been wholly predictable.

For Scotland however, there’s a pretty compelling argument that not only did we reject Brexit, but we also experienced tremendous inference in our independence referendum that’s remain campaign was founded on false promises. 

HOLA4420
4 hours ago, Pmax2020 said:

Scotland voted to remain in the EU but was dragged out

1.6 million Scottish voters voted "Remain"

But 1.0 million Scottish voters voted "Leave"

So presumably some Scottish people felt dragged out...whilst a good number also are presumably delighted by it...

In fact, if everyone in Scotland and Northern Ireland who voted Leave had instead voted Remain that alone would have shifted the whole UK to Remain.   Now I'm not trying to 'blame' those two countries, far from it, but it's worth noting that actually with 13 million Remain voters in England I'd argue in fact more English people feel 'dragged out' by fellow countrymen than Scottish ones do by Englishmen. 

HOLA4421
11 hours ago, Pmax2020 said:

Scotland voted to remain in the EU but was dragged out despite Darling and his merry men promising us a vote to remain was the only way to guarantee our place in Europe. 

Sure, the “Once in a generation” tag line used by the SNP was a bit mischievous, but wouldn’t it be sorely undemocratic to tell a generation of young voters that their elders made a decision 5/10 years ago and they should suck it up for another 30.

I think English voters have to respect the result of the Brexit referendum because there hasn’t been a material change of circumstances. How this has played out has been wholly predictable.

For Scotland however, there’s a pretty compelling argument that not only did we reject Brexit, but we also experienced tremendous inference in our independence referendum that’s remain campaign was founded on false promises. 

Ah. The republic of my bedroom? It was a UK wide poll. We don't get to divide the results for our convenience.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
On 19/01/2021 at 08:39, Bruce Banner said:

The poll's only been up for a few days. Let's see what it looks like in a few months as it becomes more apparent what a bad idea Brexit was.

Brexiters may need more pain first before agreeing to a new referendum/return. But certainly the bulk of the population have wanted back in for a while.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

HOLA4424
12 hours ago, Pmax2020 said:

I think there has been a change of circumstances.

Brexit has turned out to be a mis-sold steaming dog turd, rather than the  candy unicorn dropping promised by Farage.

HOLA4425
41 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I think there has been a change of circumstances.

Brexit has turned out to be a mis-sold steaming dog turd, rather than the  candy unicorn dropping promised by Farage.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0112/1189201-dublin-port-goods-movements/

Form filling, getting less of a problem, and as the rest of the world do it no probs, so what?