House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gilf

Prepaid Credit Cards

It seems nobody ever goes in this forum so I don't expect much of a reply but it doesn't really fit in any of the other sections...

I'm interested in PrePaid Credit cards. I have been the victim of credit/debit card fraud twice in the last year (as has my wife and my mother). In all of those cases the money was returned or credited back to my account but not without a whole load of hassle and numerous phone calls to incompetent banks (Virgin and Barclays).

After my first round of problems on my Braclays bank account I made the decision that using my bank current account on line was a little too risky so I set up a credit card with intention of only ever using that on-line so that I could reguarly check activity on my account and act quickly in the event of fraud without the worry I'd be without money due to cards being cancelled etc.

This proved a wise thing to do when just after christmas I checked my account to find an outstanding balance of £4000 when it should have been around £800. After a lot of messing around I got through to a real person who cancelled the card. Every thing seemed to be sorted out when I checked a few days later and my account had been cleared and I had a zero balance. But when I got my paper statement for my new card all of the fraud was still on there, all they had done was transfer the fraud to another account and not informed me that my internet account didn't relate to my new card, on phoning the fraud department they knew nothing about it.... Anyway after much messing around and loads phone calls they finally cleared the fraud and I paid the balance off in full (as I always intended to do).

The point is that it seems however carefull you are some toe rag gets hold of your card details and spends your money, you could say in the case of the credit card it's the banks but only when they admit to it being fraud.

I tried to change my credit limit to £500 to limit my exposure but all they did was raise it by another £2000.

So I was thinking about a pre paid credit card. Am I right in thinking that unless there is money on the card any transactions over that amount of money would be rejected?

Has anybody used one, the only one I can find seems to want to charge me £99 for the previlage.

I'm seriously considering not using the internet (apart from known places such as Amazon) for shopping, and using cash on the high street (this has the knock on benefit of making what I spend even more real). but having said that I was never that reckless when using the internet.

So any experiences of pre paid cards and are there any without a large initial out lay?

I can't answer your question, but seems strange you have had so much fraud happen on your card.

Is your computer completely secured? Firewall, Antivirus, Anti-spyware, Windows fully upto-date?

I can't answer your question, but seems strange you have had so much fraud happen on your card.

Is your computer completely secured? Firewall, Antivirus, Anti-spyware, Windows fully upto-date?

Nah it's fine, I have no proof that anything was due to the internet it could have been a doddgy shop, thats definately what happened in my wifes case (either that or card skimming).

In essence there have been 2 distinct instances (so two people have stolen my details), 1 on my Barclays account which resulted in maybe £200 worth of fraud transactions and then 1 on my Virgin card which while there were only 3 fraud transactions these were for £1000ish each.

All manner of things installed on my PC (which is more than secure with a hardware and software firewall, all the latest virus and anti-spyware programs installed) don't help when essentially somebody at the other end has my card details. The way I get people to look at it is if you have a gold bar in your house and you want to keep it secure then you can lock all the doors and windows (firewall, anit-spyware), if you want to transport it to a bank vault you can use a security van (SSL) but when it gets to the bank who's to say the chap at the other end doesn't slip it in to his pocket.

I used my credit card on the net alot, because I purchase a fair amount of stuff from there, this ranges from "trusted" sites like amazon to other less well known things such as small software retailers. I'm sure most people don't do this and therefore the risk is less for them.

In the end I have always managed to sort things out but the point is that I'd rather not have to spend time and stress doing so. I just want a means of paying for something on the net (in most cases less than £50) and be happy that if my details were taken and used the most they could get away with is any remaining balance which would be controlled by me at a minimum amount to be useful.