House Price Crash Forum

1.3 million foreign born residents have left UK in last 12 months! (800k in London)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, shlomo said:

Nonsense, we throw more food away than we eat one of the advantages of living in a very rich country 

They know how much the average person buys, and they know how much they sell, so it doesn't matter how much you purchase vs how much you bin. It's not too difficult.

By the way do you throw out food? My household rarely throws out a single piece of edible.

8 hours ago, VancouverGuy said:

I just felt a great disturbance in the Foxtons, as if millions of voices cried out in terror  - and were then suddenly silenced.

😆😆 

An interesting thread, is the the equivalent of building say 800k houses? 

Houses prices (for me) was never about numbers of people because there is always demand...since after WW2. It’s always been about cheap money. 

HOWEVER, this surely must have some nudging effect of that demand/supply and really just re-emphasises how inexplicable and irrational the mini house price boom last year was.

Interesting thread...and like everything we can only make an educated guess longer term impact v house prices and future immigration.  But lots of arrows pointing in the downward direction 😉

13 minutes ago, Pop321 said:

😆😆 

An interesting thread, is the the equivalent of building say 800k houses? 

Houses prices (for me) was never about numbers of people because there is always demand...since after WW2. It’s always been about cheap money. 

HOWEVER, this surely must have some nudging effect of that demand/supply and really just re-emphasises how inexplicable and irrational the mini house price boom last year was.

Interesting thread...and like everything we can only make an educated guess longer term impact v house prices and future immigration.  But lots of arrows pointing in the downward direction 😉

On an actual serious note.  These people would be renting so more of an impact on the rental market.  Of course houses are houses so it should decrease demand.  There are a massive number of properties for rent at the moment but it’s difficult to say if this is due to people leaving to work from their parents house but still in the UK, which I know is happening to friends, or something else (like people are no longer in the country).  

12 hours ago, Notting Hell said:

Presumably a majority leave this country via air (or rail) where each and every passport is scanned on departure. Why therefore are these figures estimates? While it may be hard to count everyone currently on the island accurately, it should be easy to calculate figures of people arriving and departing (the delta) and in real time. How is it possible for an island nation not to know how many people are here at any given time? I don't believe that this data is not available--someone has it and it is accurate.

Erm - well LEGAL travellers have these things scanned: not so much people arriving in little boats or hidden in lorries.

Also - and not sure here - what about the NI/Ireland border, I thought at least up to December that wasn’t a passport scan job?

1 hour ago, Locke said:

They know how much the average person buys, and they know how much they sell, so it doesn't matter how much you purchase vs how much you bin. It's not too difficult.

By the way do you throw out food? My household rarely throws out a single piece of edible.

We throw more food away than we eat

12 hours ago, shlomo said:

I can guarantee you you will receive 15% less rental next year for your one BTL, and the year after it go down another 10%

Weird thing is you are a Turkey that voted for xmas, You hate immigrants but without them your rental income will go down,

Poor, sweet, innocent shlomo. I am not a turkey, I am a ptarmigan. 

Others were talking about excess deaths in 2020 leading to an increase in supply in another thread. 

However, this appears to be a factor about 10x larger on the demand side.

My view is that even this effect will be dwarfed by the negatives of the coming economic slowdown though. 

Rental income (and yes eventually even real terms house prices) are on the way down. 

13 hours ago, Notting Hell said:

Presumably a majority leave this country via air (or rail) where each and every passport is scanned on departure. Why therefore are these figures estimates? While it may be hard to count everyone currently on the island accurately, it should be easy to calculate figures of people arriving and departing (the delta) and in real time. How is it possible for an island nation not to know how many people are here at any given time? I don't believe that this data is not available--someone has it and it is accurate.

The UK doesn't keep exit information. The government really doesn't know. 

1 hour ago, Trump Invective said:

Why is it the most since ww2? did loads of yanks/other troops leave? or is it that they only have records from then?

Not sure why there would be a drop then

Lots of people came to live in the UK during that period because apparently there was a war going on in Europe. When there wasn't a war many went back, although not all of those who didn't like Stalin. 

3 hours ago, 14stFlyer said:

Others were talking about excess deaths in 2020 leading to an increase in supply in another thread. 

However, this appears to be a factor about 10x larger on the demand side.

My view is that even this effect will be dwarfed by the negatives of the coming economic slowdown though. 

Rental income (and yes eventually even real terms house prices) are on the way down. 

The economic slowdown won't be felt by all they never are - some fairly obvious winners and losers emerging already 

4 hours ago, shlomo said:

We throw more food away than we eat

5 hours ago, shlomo said:

This sounded pretty implausible and it's also coming from you, who often seems to be a bit light on facts, so I had to fact-check it. 

As expected, this is not true.