House Price Crash Forum

Tory London mayoral candidate: homeless can save for house deposit  

HOLA441
HOLA442

Shaun Bailey has promised to deliver 100,000 affordable homes with his £4bn housing budget if he wins the election in April, many of them shared ownership, of which buyers would be able to purchase a share for as little as £100,000.

Mere pocket change for any self-respecting tory..

Edited by spacedin

HOLA443
HOLA444

I know about that situation, I sofa surfed for years.

I think they should probe him a little more on that. Is this a trendy term for homelessness? Or is just a bullshitting term people like him use to give the illusion of being down to earth?

Edited by spacedin

HOLA445
HOLA446

Going by my last time in London, the 'homeless' are actually in the wrong country.

London homeless is best dealt with by kicking out non nationals begging.

Then start working on the British homeless, which would involve sending majority back to the LA where they were last registered.

You have these gormless charities like Crisi @ Xmas.

I heard there Xmas broadcast on R4.

The two featured case was South American in London and someone from up North.

The SA should have been put on the first flight home - or Spain, where shell be registred. And the embassy billed.

HOLA447

Is the candidate guilty of exreme narcissism? I imagine the stress of a mortgage is one of the last things a homeless person wants to worry about .

87.5% of homeless were not even accounted for ....

Covid: officials underestimated number of rough sleepers in England needing help

National Audit Office said number of people needing shelter was eight times greater than thought

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jan/14/covid-officials-underestimated-number-of-rough-sleepers-in-england-needing-help

HOLA448

I bet it was that he had rich parents but he intentionally did this after uni to avoid living with them. 

I don't know when anyone will admit that shared ownership hasn't worked. It's entirely possible to build some really cheap and crap pre-fab homes - start a new area outside London and fix it up with a train line in and put it in Zone 6, and you can still call it London. But the Tories ain't gonna want to build a slum, and most people would be annoyed that cheap properties reduce the price of theirs.

Short-term politics and self-interest prevents anything from being done about it apart from the smallest gestures.

HOLA449
8 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Going by my last time in London, the 'homeless' are actually in the wrong country.

Then start working on the British homeless, which would involve sending majority back to the LA where they were last registered.

The SA should have been put on the first flight home - or Spain, where shell be registred. And the embassy billed.

It's the aggressive begging that I can't stand. I have a great deal of sympathy for anyone who's homeless, as sadly severe mental illness seems to go hand in hand for a lot of them that are genuienly in need. These don't tend to be those who harrass people in the street, or ask drinkers sitting quietly outside pubs for money.

I don't live in London but I must say, in the city where I live the vast majority of homeless people are either from the city or from not far away. I've got to know quite a few of them over the years and to be honest, they seem to find it difficult to escape the cycle of homelessness and living in hostel accommodation to the point where you wonder if they really want the situation to change. 

Edited by spacedin

HOLA4410
26 minutes ago, spacedin said:

Actually I'll never forget that time I was acosted by a smelly man with a disheveled appearance who begged me for money as he'd been sofa surfing for almost a year.

You see, you are mixing rough sleepers with homeless. 

People in temporary accomodation provided by the council are not rough sleepers but they are homeless. People who live on others sofas are homeless and not rough sleepers. 

HOLA4411
8 minutes ago, Freki said:

People in temporary accomodation provided by the council are not rough sleepers but they are homeless. People who live on others sofas are homeless and not rough sleepers. 

Oh no I agree, they're also classed as homeless as they don't really have a home. Interestingly though people in HMOs aren't classed as homeless, despite living in what are often complete shitholes, where dodgy people are numerous. 

For the whole of my life, the only time when I thought my life was seriously in danger was living in one of those HMOs. I've never lived on the streets or in hostels though.

The thing that gets to me the most though are those that pretend they're homeless to get social housing and they often seem to achieve this by 'sofa-surfing'... Perhaps the Tory candidate is one of them lol.

Edited by spacedin

HOLA4412

His Wikipedia page suggests he lived with his parents in London until about the age of 30 or thereabouts, and had a close knit extended family apart from his dad. Easy to judge others who have no such support network or are stuck in a part of the country with less opportunities.

HOLA4413

From Wikipedia

It was established shortly before Bailey was selected by the Conservative Party to stand in the recreated Hammersmith constituency. In 2010, The Times reported that Bailey was at the centre of allegations that his North Kensington-based charity showed £16,000 worth of spending "without any supporting records". Between 2008 and 2009, almost half of the charity's expenditure was on publicity and administration, not "direct charitable expenditure". Of the £116,000 “charitable expenditure”, more than half was spent on travel and subsistence. The charity was closed in 2012 due to financial problems. The charity's services were taken over by other charities including Kids Company.

HOLA4414
16 minutes ago, Si1 said:

His Wikipedia page suggests he lived with his parents in London until about the age of 30 or thereabouts, and had a close knit extended family apart from his dad. Easy to judge others who have no such support network or are stuck in a part of the country with less opportunities.

Sorry to post again but that's exactly what I was referring to when I mentioned people who pretend to be homeless to get social housing. They'll often have a family home to go back to. There can of course be valid reasons why someone would avoid a family home but to purposefully do this just to push yourself up the housing list is so low. 

I guess part of it is due to how crap living in the PRS is but it just comes across as low and dishonest when there are people who have no support network or family to turn to for help.

Edited by spacedin

HOLA4415
51 minutes ago, spacedin said:

Sorry to post again but that's exactly what I was referring to when I mentioned people who pretend to be homeless to get social housing. They'll often have a family home to go back to. There can of course be valid reasons why someone would avoid a family home but to purposefully do this just to push yourself up the housing list is so low. 

I guess part of it is due to how crap living in the PRS is but it just comes across as low and dishonest when there are people who have no support network or family to turn to for help.

did he actually do that?

HOLA4416

More than half the people sleeping rough are not UK citizens - even higher in central London - and over 80% are single men. Sorry for their situation - but maybe a return flight home might be cheaper - and let the country of which they are citizens of sort their problems out.

The whole system of course works against UK nationals as most will have a parent or relative it is assumed they can live with by the council. Surely when it comes to housing and other services our own citizens should come first - no doubt seen as horribly unfair by some but it is what almost all other nations do?

We of course just keep adding to the problem (non refugee migrants by definition should be people not expected to be a call on the state) - the solution is always 'build more housing' - and therefore the situation can only get worse as we haven't delivered the housing under successive Nu Labour, Coalition or Tory govts.

As for shared ownership even to get a £100,000 mortgage for a 25% share of a one bed flat in London you would need £10,000 in savings plus £2k for solicitors and other fees and a £25k salary. Not sure where exactly most homeless people are supposed to get £12,000 from to start with - given on some surveys 40% of Brits have less than £100 in savings!

Edited by MARTINX9

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
5 hours ago, Freki said:

Yes. The distinction is often blurred, as the stereotypical homeless person is a rough sleeper. And homelessness itself is blurred. Homelessness covers sofa surfers, people in council funded B&B accommodation and people in shelters, all of whom have a roof over their heads. 

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
29 minutes ago, mrlegend123 said:

get bank of England to 'print' some money and give it to the homeless for a deposit...... Job done JC style. 

Compared to Johnson style? Furlough and buying any junk asset at any price? Cool mate. Works wonders

Edit: also note how one method has been used, and the other one is just your conjunction and remains hypothetical (actually no the hypothesis can't happen anymore JC is out)

Edited by Freki

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
2 hours ago, mrlegend123 said:

get bank of England to 'print' some money and give it to the homeless for a deposit...... Job done JC style. 

No. JC style would be build 100,000s more social homes, thereby eradicating homelessness. 

Electorate voted against their own interests in favour of the continuation of neoliberalism. 

So either way it's a moot point. 

HOLA4425
9 hours ago, spyguy said:

Which country are you from?