House Price Crash Forum

FBI Bulletin - Armed protests planned at U.S. Capitol and all 50 State Capitols.

1 hour ago, Chunketh said:

The problem is, the security forces will be ready this time. It's going to get ugly.

Given the the amount of cops and vets forming the protests so far I would expect the security forces to be sympathetic to the cause, just like those ones that stood there for selfies as the mob moved in.

31 minutes ago, LetsBuild said:

Given the the amount of cops and vets forming the protests so far I would expect the security forces to be sympathetic to the cause, just like those ones that stood there for selfies as the mob moved in.

Sedition is one thing. Treason is another matter entirely. 

41 minutes ago, LetsBuild said:

Can't see it. With the injuries of fellow officers at the Capitol building, and the massive amount of backlash over their kid-gloves treatment at that time, I think the gloves will be off this time.

Also, as per Big Orange post, a lot of those Trump convoys won't get through

15 minutes ago, AThirdWay said:

Can't see it. With the injuries of fellow officers at the Capitol building, and the massive amount of backlash over their kid-gloves treatment at that time, I think the gloves will be off this time.

Also, as per Big Orange post, a lot of those Trump convoys won't get through

It's an interesting question though, how many cops are maga supporters?

1 hour ago, Big Orange said:

And they'll intercept and detain the worst troublemakers before they go too far this time. The Capitol got CCTV records of virtually everbody who attended the farcical take over.

I think that is the best way. A heavy handed response and a pitched battle in the streets will just suck more people into the violence in the future. I recall reading the Syrian civil war started when peaceful protests about water shortages turned violent in the capital and the regime used violence in response. Other armed factions then joined in and the rest is a very sad history for the country.

1 hour ago, Si1 said:

It's an interesting question though, how many cops are maga supporters?

Given that there are reports that some of the Capitol 'invaders' attempted to use their police badges/ID's to get through barriers etc. I would say the number is not insignificant. Same with the amount who are 'veterans'. Whether these factions within the maga group will be treated any differently in the upcoming events is now questionable.

I think the more likely characteristic that defines how they are treated is the colour of their skin tbh...

13 minutes ago, AThirdWay said:

Given that there are reports that some of the Capitol 'invaders' attempted to use their police badges/ID's to get through barriers etc. I would say the number is not insignificant. Same with the amount who are 'veterans'. Whether these factions within the maga group will be treated any differently in the upcoming events is now questionable.

I'm more thinking about whether the maga factions in the national guard and capitol police will undermine the security

13 minutes ago, AThirdWay said:

I think the more likely characteristic that defines how they are treated is the colour of their skin tbh...

True. Interestingly the capitol police officer who apparently did most to protect the senators (by taking rioters on a wild goose chase away from the senate chamber) is black.

Long term (over the next 5 years or so) this is going to be very interesting.

Trump is clearly an idiot, however even with his very poor response to COVID he polled a lot of votes and gave Biden a run for his money. Biden should have walked this election.

There is a very large section of American society that is angry, disaffected and...armed. Remember the Michael Moore speech from "Trumpland"? The basket of deplorables etc.

If Trump starts a third party in prep for the next election with the usual conspiracy narratives, what happens over the next week or so will resonate greatly over that time span...he is trying to set the agenda for the next election.

22 minutes ago, Roman Roady said:

Long term (over the next 5 years or so) this is going to be very interesting.

Agree, have you watched the Social Dilemma on Netflix? Was very interesting take on how divided that country really is and how social media has fuelled the divide.

A melting pot of division, hatred, conspiracies and guns isn't going to end well. 

4 hours ago, AThirdWay said:

Given that there are reports that some of the Capitol 'invaders' attempted to use their police badges/ID's to get through barriers etc. I would say the number is not insignificant. Same with the amount who are 'veterans'. 

The woman who was shot by armed Capitol officers was a hot headed USAF officer.

3 hours ago, PaulTW said:

Agree, have you watched the Social Dilemma on Netflix? Was very interesting take on how divided that country really is and how social media has fuelled the divide.

A melting pot of division, hatred, conspiracies and guns isn't going to end well. 

You do wonder how long the USA has left...

3 hours ago, Si1 said:

I'm more thinking about whether the maga factions in the national guard and capitol police will undermine the security

Fair point and the answer, inevitably, is I don't know if they will...

Will they put their career on the line, surely they don't think they can escape the multitude of cameras that will be everywhere in DC? I would imagine that they won't, but then I consider Big Orange's point and.... I don't know!

Remember the Trump inauguration big lie:

The First Lie of the Trump Presidency

In his inaugural appearance as White House press secretary, Sean Spicer set the tone for the next two years.

“This was the largest audience to ever witness an inauguration—period—both in person and around the globe.”

Sean Spicer, the newly installed White House press secretary, was speaking to members of the American media for the first time after Donald Trump, the reality-TV star, became Donald Trump, the world leader. At issue was one of the many basic truths that, in those earliest days of the 45th presidency, had managed to become a matter of controversy: the number of people who had watched the new president speak—about crime, about carnage, about himself—at his inauguration.

The facts were not on Spicer’s side. There are myriad methods for determining the size of a crowd, in person and beyond, among them public-transportation ridership data, Nielsen statistics, satellite imagery, terrestrial photography, and common sense; put a photo of President Barack Obama’s inauguration next to a photo of Trump’s, and the truth of the matter is plain. Spicer, however, opted for a more faith-based approach. Seething and scowling and performing his indignation, condemning members of the media for their “deliberately false reporting,” the new messenger in chief seemed to be willing a more politically convenient truth into existence. The largest audience to ever witness an inauguration—period: The whole thing had the air of incantation. Its foolishness might have been funny, had the attempt at weaponized magic not also suggested one of the darkest elements of the Trump presidency: its radiating conviction that truth itself can be remade in the shape of its leader.

4 hours ago, AThirdWay said:

Fair point and the answer, inevitably, is I don't know if they will...

Will they put their career on the line, surely they don't think they can escape the multitude of cameras that will be everywhere in DC? I would imagine that they won't, but then I consider Big Orange's point and.... I don't know!

Yeah, it's tricky