House Price Crash Forum

The Mail is saying that the SD holiday will definitely not be extended

1 hour ago, iamnumerate said:

It also broke the biggest sports scandal in recent years.  I suspect that if the RFU were run by guardian readers Saracens would not have been relegated.  Saracens could have just said to other Rugby Clubs, "Do you believe the Daily Fail?".

Then the RFU would have said, "Of course not, sorry".

Depressingly the wikipedia article on the scandal doesn't mention the paper that first reported it.  How meanspirited is that?

You can always add this to Wikipedia yourself.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, iamnumerate said:

I could but I think it would be deleted.  I don't think you can quote the Mail in Wikipedia.

If it's a statement of fact that they reported it first and you cite it correctly then I suspect it would stick.

On 12/01/2021 at 11:06, HovelinHove said:

You are the problem. Yours and the millions like you who have complete intolerance of all views that don’t align with yours is the source of so much ill today. It is (collective) you and your arrogance that pushed so many from the centre and created Trump. Your conceit that only you are able to think correctly and that anyone who deviates from that position is a “Mail reading idiot”. In my life I have adopted positions both left and right on different issues, but you...you are incapable of nuance, empathy or reasoned thinking. You are the disease at the heart of our society that was once tolerant and pleasant. You will reap the whirlwind you sow.

? once again, it is the Daily mail reading Trump/Boris/Farage worshiping dipsticks that have make the UK a turd of a place to live.  Here is a fact 'Daily mail devotees are idiots'  Just remember that and you will be on your way to being reformed.

Also, just remember, Daily mail readers enjoy house price increases, they fully believe that they worked hard for them to go up in price and all you dipsticks need to do is get rid of your iphone  and work harder just like they did.

Edited by steve99
10 hours ago, steve99 said:

? once again, it is the Daily mail reading Trump/Boris/Farage worshiping dipsticks that have make the UK a turd of a place to live.  Here is a fact 'Daily mail devotees are idiots'  Just remember that and you will be on your way to being reformed.

Also, just remember, Daily mail readers enjoy house price increases, they fully believe that they worked hard for them to go up in price and all you dipsticks need to do is get rid of your iphone  and work harder just like they did.

Do really think that Britain was a paradise under Blair?  There are parts of the UK where housing is more affordable today than under Blair.

16 hours ago, iamnumerate said:

Do really think that Britain was a paradise under Blair?  There are parts of the UK where housing is more affordable today than under Blair.

No I dont think it was paradise under Blair, they absocnded their duty when they let the housing market go mad instead of undoing what the tories had done, ie rebuilding social housing to the point that the tories couldnt drag it back down again and putting curbs and banking and bank lending to mortgages.  Blair followeds the new 'third way' as it was described at the time, ie Tory economics and Labour social policy.  If I gave them 5/10 as a government I would give the last 10 years of Tory 1/10 at best.   In fact this is what happens every time, no government will ever fullfil your wants and needs. The only thing the tories have done for housing has added to the demand side, ie help to buy, stamp duty cut on one hand and being in bed with building companies and landbanking encouraging drip feeding and restrictive supply (for their own personal benefit as much as that of their crony constituants) And if you take into account the profiteering they have facilitated during  the covid pandemic, that just about puts them in the criminal class as far as I am concerned.  The much maligned Corbyn had a vision of the UK as being on par with Scandinavian countries, not just another inbred state of the USA (which is what brexit has just about done to us)

9 minutes ago, steve99 said:

No I dont think it was paradise under Blair, they absocnded their duty when they let the housing market go mad instead of undoing what the tories had done, ie rebuilding social housing to the point that the tories couldnt drag it back down again and putting curbs and banking and bank lending to mortgages.  Blair followeds the new 'third way' as it was described at the time, ie Tory economics and Labour social policy.  If I gave them 5/10 as a government I would give the last 10 years of Tory 1/10 at best.   In fact this is what happens every time, no government will ever fullfil your wants and needs. The only thing the tories have done for housing has added to the demand side, ie help to buy, stamp duty cut on one hand and being in bed with building companies and landbanking encouraging drip feeding and restrictive supply (for their own personal benefit as much as that of their crony constituants) And if you take into account the profiteering they have facilitated during  the covid pandemic, that just about puts them in the criminal class as far as I am concerned.  The much maligned Corbyn had a vision of the UK as being on par with Scandinavian countries, not just another inbred state of the USA (which is what brexit has just about done to us)

I am sorry you gave the impression that you thought that HPI was just due to mail.

I agree with you that no government is perfect.  HTB is awful.

However the Tories have not knocked down decent houses to make housing more expensive (until Blair I didn't even think that could happen)

They have made BTL a lot more expensive and increased stamp duty for investors not cut it.

I don't think Corbyn wanted us to be like Scandinavian countries.  In Sweden you have to pay to go to the GP - I am pretty sure he didn't want that (although only £120 per year).

https://transferwise.com/gb/blog/healthcare-system-in-sweden#:~:text=A Swedish resident doesn't,at 2%2C200 kr each year.

On 13/01/2021 at 21:52, steve99 said:

And there we have the problem with modern education in a short passage. Take the stinky stick out of your but, insert it in your gob and do us all a favour.

Rishi throwing around some more plans to see the reaction? eg rise taxes but extend Stamp Duty holiday?

Sunday Times piece taken from Henry Pryor's link on twitter....Henry Pryor writes.....

“Dear@RishiSunak, Please don’t fly yet another policy kite. Either extend the Stamp Duty holiday or confirm you are not. Don’t think about doing it or the market grinds to a halt while we wait for you to make up your mind. Thank you."

3 minutes ago, moonriver said:

Rishi throwing around some more plans to see the reaction? eg rise taxes but extend Stamp Duty holiday?

Sunday Times piece taken from Henry Pryor's link on twitter....Henry Pryor writes.....

“Dear@RishiSunak, Please don’t fly yet another policy kite. Either extend the Stamp Duty holiday or confirm you are not. Don’t think about doing it or the market grinds to a halt while we wait for you to make up your mind. Thank you."

i agree with the property tax but income tax increases will be hard due to the 'real' unemployment level. He should go for the wealth tax and that might upset his core voters.

3 minutes ago, mrlegend123 said:

i agree with the property tax but income tax increases will be hard due to the 'real' unemployment level. He should go for the wealth tax and that might upset his core voters.

yes he should, but as you say this would not go down well with his voters or party members.

I did wonder whether his party fancy lining him up for the PM's job, so want to keep his popularity going as long as possible? 

In other news

Senior government sources told the Sunday Times that Sunak will also look to increase corporation tax in the Budget if the UK’s Covid vaccine rollout remains on track.

The Treasury is also reportedly looking at abolishing stamp duty and council tax, at some point later this year, and instead implement a national property tax.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/rishi-sunak-eyes-uk-corporation-tax-hike-in-march-budget/ar-BB1cPuDx?li=AAwnS0s&ocid=mailsignout

1 hour ago, wighty said:

In other news

Senior government sources told the Sunday Times that Sunak will also look to increase corporation tax in the Budget if the UK’s Covid vaccine rollout remains on track.

The Treasury is also reportedly looking at abolishing stamp duty and council tax, at some point later this year, and instead implement a national property tax.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/rishi-sunak-eyes-uk-corporation-tax-hike-in-march-budget/ar-BB1cPuDx?li=AAwnS0s&ocid=mailsignout

That would be good

Tangential entertaining mental leverage buffoonary:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/personal-banking/mortgages/desperate-property-buyers-borrow-16pc-year-beat-stamp-duty-deadline/

Mr Banisi, from Milton Keynes, owns 38 buy-to-let homes and his complex portfolio means that loan applications can take much longer to process. The current delays in the house buying process meant he had no realistic chance of completing before the stamp duty deadline.

Mr Banisi borrowed £250,000, including fees, to buy the home at a rate of 0.7pc a month – equivalent to 8.7pc a year. Although he is paying £1,764 a month in interest, he has saved £50,000 on the price and will save £2,500 in stamp duty.