House Price Crash Forum

Crunch In Law For The Rental Market

HOLA441

What a joke, the time has come to dump BTL's, most mickey mouse landlords who see this as easy money are going to be off loading,....oh look how many new "no chain" new instructions have just come onto the market in the last few weeks...

I can't believe this country is full of suckers, who fuel you VI's. Its madness, absolute madness...

Yeah those are your landlords removing your places from the market. Can you smell the higher rent coming?

HOLA442

Yeah those are your landlords removing your places from the market. Can you smell the higher rent coming?

Rents in the UK are restricted by affordability. As stated above, rising unemployment and a faltering economy does not bode well for increased rents. With a weak economy many BTL landlords will be forced to lower rents or sell their properties causing a HPC. With a HPC there will be fewer renters.

HOLA443
With a HPC there will be fewer renters.

But the good news for professional landlords is that they'll be able to buy new properties at a far lower price and get better rental yields. Only the indebted idiots will suffer.

HOLA444

Where do these properties go, you muppet? Into the bin?

They are either bought by owner occupiers (=less rental demand) or by new landlords (purchasing at a lower price, hence more competitive than you! = more rental supply).

:lol::lol::lol:

HOLA445

Where do these properties go, you muppet? Into the bin?

They are either bought by owner occupiers (=less rental demand) or by new landlords (purchasing at a lower price, hence more competitive than you! = more rental supply).

:lol::lol::lol:

And where do they go for the time they're off the rentals market & on the sales market? Into a black hole that's where.

And enough with the muppet stuff.

Edited by Time to raise the rents.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Yeah I do get angry when TENANT behaviour is perceived to be anything to do with Landlords.

Remember kiddies, the more landlords are regulated, the more you'll pay for the privelage of having a landlord.

And guess what else? Higher rents = higher house prices. If you had a brain cell between you, you'd know that already.

there are more houses per head of capita then at any point in history..

Less landlords means more houses in the market.. unless the landlord leaves the market and demolishes the house and plants a few trees...

The biggest buyers market is rental at the moment..

Everyone renting.. turn to your landlord and say.

"I love this property, but I have found a cheeper one. I would like to stay here and you know I am a good tennant.. I hate that money is an issue but it is... Is there anything you can do on the deal.

Remember TTRTR bought his property at the peek.

Most landlords have little to no mortgage and can be very flexible.

Remember that TTRTR's..

Most landlords own their property or have very small mortgages..

Houses are expensive, but have been only for a short while..

Trust me I know landlords..

HOLA448

As a minimum requirement to sort out the problem that you described (that has little to do with the landlord), the building regs should stipulate wet rooms in all bathroom replacements in the future. What is a wet room I hear you ask? It's a room that has a drain in the floor, to drain away any floods & therefore contain the damage caused by carelessness of the TENANT.

Insurance companies could also help in this by refusing to insure badly designed bathrooms.

Agree with your sentiments about building regs -might even reduce the number of Johnny come lately landlords who think they can convert a broom cupboard into an"En-suite Penthouse".

Not sure how much respect you have for your tenants though:

What in effect is happening, is tenants are getting better & better protection from accidents in their homes, whilst the average citizen ...
:D

As a tenant how long before I'm taken off the electoral register ... will I still have to pay Council Tax or will my Massa landlord have to pay it for me.

I have a very good landlord by the way.

Edited by Sisyphus

HOLA449
HOLA4410

1/ So now you're saying tenants will stop renting? :lol::lol:

Well, yes. For several reasons. The important one, and the one relevant to this site is that as these properties come up for sale, house prices drop, and some of the people who were renting buy them. But my point is wider than that. You always seems to be saying that if rents go up, people will absorb them, whatever else happens. That is just simply not true. Everything in life is a balance. If the cost of renting were to become too high, some people would just move back with parents, move away, move abroad etc. If I am wrong about this, and you are right that any rent rise will be absorbed no matter how punitive, then answer this: Why not just raise them now?

And to clarify for you, the higher rent = higher house prices is a fact of life in a reasonably open market. A higher income stream justifies a higher valuation.

But isn't the point that we're not talking about an open market, in as much as we are talking about regulations imposed on it, forcing transformation, if you will, of rental properties into either purchaseable ones, or space to build new ones. Are you really proposing that these properties will just disappear? Surely people will buy if they are cheap enough.

HOLA4411

Roger you fool, you speak of bad building design and bad TENANT behavior as if it's the landlords fault! That's it, regulate the ******* landlord who should have been round in 5 to turn off that tenants tap for them!

Better building regulations, adhered to by all citizens, would address this problem much better than your suggestion. Landlords are an easy target for govt to pick on. What in effect is happening, is tenants are getting better & better protection from accidents in their homes, whilst the average citizen is free to do almost whatever they like in their own homes, creating dangers for themselves and their neighbours. If a landlord buys their property, they take over many of these problems without realising it & idiots in govt think they should be punished for that.

As a minimum requirement to sort out the problem that you described (that has little to do with the landlord), the building regs should stipulate wet rooms in all bathroom replacements in the future. What is a wet room I hear you ask? It's a room that has a drain in the floor, to drain away any floods & therefore contain the damage caused by carelessness of the TENANT.

Insurance companies could also help in this by refusing to insure badly designed bathrooms.

well the landlord rents it out to idiots without a thought for nieghbours,he just wants his cash.obviously he didn't leave the water running then pass out,but the least he could do is give us a valid phone number to protect his and our property.

as for building regulations,the tenement is over 100 years old,yes it dates back to the time of debtor's jails,kids sweeping chimneys and slum landlords who would through the poor out on the streets (the good old days).i don't think a wet room was an option as inside toilets were a luxury!

i think the fool here is the landlord as he(or his insurer) is getting chased for the money and i'm getting a nice new kitchen and bathroom.