House Price Crash Forum

Estate agents allowed to continue working during lockdown 3

HOLA441
HOLA442

Isn't buying and viewing houses absolutely essential to sustain daily life - even more important than food and medicine even?

I can understand not being able to buy a scarf, umbrella or coat in the middle of winter or being unable to see family or friends outside my household and social bubble for two months - but it really would be too much to bear not being able to host multiple strangers around my home for viewings with an estate agent in tow.

And it is of course impossible that anyone should be expected to wait for two months to buy a house - even if stopping the process might halt spreading a virus, help protect the NHS and save lives! Where is your sense of priorities?

Protect house prices first - then the NHS!

Edited by MARTINX9

HOLA443

Isn't buying and viewing houses absolutely essential to sustain daily life - even more important than food and medicine even?

Protect house prices first - then the NHS!

Pretty sure shelter ranks high on the hierarchy of needs?

The knock on economic impacts of moving house are pretty large, new furniture, decorating, trades people employed etc. To protect the nhs you need to protect tax revenue to an extent and that requires an economy. I also suspect that people need to move now more than ever. People in abusive relationships, people in horrible relationships dragging down their mental health. Etc etc. 

HOLA444

Viewings?

That’s nice, those on mumsnet or just generally the 40% of viewers who look out of interest or just for fun will be able to fill their afternoons looking at lovely homes for furnishing ideas. The rest can potter round Waitrose buying couscous. 

(sorry, not sure where this came from....🤷🏻‍♂️

Reality is I guess some will need to move, particularly short term rental accommodation over this tricky time......less sure I would choose to sell and buy unless there was a 30% discount on offer or some very difficult family circumstances having to be dealt with. 

HOLA445

The knock on economic impacts of moving house are pretty large, new furniture, decorating, trades people employed etc. To protect the nhs you need to protect tax revenue to an extent and that requires an economy. I also suspect that people need to move now more than ever. People in abusive relationships, people in horrible relationships dragging down their mental health. Etc etc. 

Yes, agree......moving doesn't always mean will be making money on the action......very many will be finding they will be a lot worse off, particularly if moving because of breakdown of relationships or as you say escaping abusive relationships.;)

HOLA446
HOLA447

I actually think this is a good thing for those hoping for prices to stop rising. If they closed the market they would extend the stamp duty deadline by 6+ months and when it reopens there would be pent up demand again - exactly the same would happen in 2021 with massive house price rises.

This.

HOLA448

I actually think this is a good thing for those hoping for prices to stop rising. If they closed the market they would extend the stamp duty deadline by 6+ months and when it reopens there would be pent up demand again - exactly the same would happen in 2021 with massive house price rises.

Exactly. No excuses to extend the stamp duty holiday, although the VIs will obviously still try to use this new lockdown to justify their bleating. 

HOLA449

Good point.

Whilst I am sure this wasn’t the motivation for keeping the market open....it’s a very positive and interesting viewpoint you have taken.  👍🏻

HOLA4410

Exactly. No excuses to extend the stamp duty holiday, although the VIs will obviously still try to use this new lockdown to justify their bleating. 

And the inevitable slowing down of activity in the housing market due to the latest lockdown will allow the banks, solicitors etc. to clear the back log of transactions they've all been moaning about.

No excuses left to extend the SDLT holiday. However, I'm sure they'll find a way.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Exactly.  This is not just about sales but also lettings - what happens if your rental contract is up in the middle of a lockdown and your landlord doesn't renew it?  Pretty essential need to find somewhere else to live.

HOLA4413

And the inevitable slowing down of activity in the housing market due to the latest lockdown will allow the banks, solicitors etc. to clear the back log of transactions they've all been moaning about.

Indeed. The VIs need to be careful what they wish for. It looks like their wish just came true. 

Edited by sammersmith

HOLA4414

No excuses left to extend the SDLT holiday. However, I'm sure they'll find a way.

This will probably result in rates coming down again, as well as more high LTV products coming back on. The rubbish rates this year did reduce my budget vs the start of the year - I assume it will increase prices a bit this year if they improve! But then I am likely to be part of that problem as well - sorry!!

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Renting I can understand being allowed to happen especially for those at risk of homelessness or other people at risk (e.g. domestic violence or the vulnerable) or for essential work (e.g. NHS staff or carers relocating for work). Exceptional cases! But hundreds of empty hotels are also available to support those.

But we coped without anyone buying a home for 3 months back in spring. No need frankly for housing sales not to be delayed for a few weeks!

Edited by MARTINX9

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Exactly.  This is not just about sales but also lettings - what happens if your rental contract is up in the middle of a lockdown and your landlord doesn't renew it?  Pretty essential need to find somewhere else to live.

it doesn't need to be renewed, residential tenancies don't anyway  -not sure about retail...under the Housing Act they go on to a rolling monthly contract after the 6 month 'term' is up

HOLA4419

it doesn't need to be renewed, residential tenancies don't anyway

ASTs can legally slip into periodic tenancies, but i've yet to see a letting agent in London that will allow this to happen without issuing a S21. They need the juicy fee from tenant and landlord for their 'work'. I don't know if this is still the case post-tenant fee ban as i no longer live in London.

Outside of prime areas, agents don't seem to try their luck if they have a tenant who's paying rent. Part of me wishes i was still in London as if I received the annual threatening renewal phone call while evictions were banned i'd take great joy in telling them where to stick their S21. 

HOLA4420

Shines a light on priorities.  Surprised we don't hear more on this stupidity in media. There is comedy in this absurdity...want to see family and friends as often as you like...?...put house on the market.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
1 hour ago, highcontrast said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55668457

Covid: House hunters travelling 'hundreds of miles' to view homes

House hunters are taking advantage of lockdown rules to travel hundreds of miles to view homes, estate agents say.

#Priorities 

Its ok apparently as housing is  'a key part of the economy' - unlike firms based in offices, non food retailers, restaurants, pubs, cinemas or theatres!

Of course the Cabinet don't own any of those - but they own plenty of houses!

Apparently one person wanted to travel 400 miles from Bradford to Cornwall - to view and buy a SECOND home! The estate agent referenced said no - but who says that person didn't try another agent.

Edited by MARTINX9