House Price Crash Forum

Every investable or speculative asset has gone mental in the last year?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep, so it would seem. I now freely admit I do not understand large scale economics. My household budget, that I understand! We're in the middle of a pandemic slashing profits for many (though not all) companies, with unprecedented Government support in many areas, unemployment rising despite that support. How nearly all asset classes have performed at near recent record breaking levels is beyond me. Let's say the Pandemic had not happened, all these asset classes would have performed worse!?!? Go figure! 

Yep, so it would seem. I now freely admit I do not understand large scale economics. My household budget, that I understand! We're in the middle of a pandemic slashing profits for many (though not all) companies, with unprecedented Government support in many areas, unemployment rising despite that support. How nearly all asset classes have performed at near recent record breaking levels is beyond me. Let's say the Pandemic had not happened, all these asset classes would have performed worse!?!? Go figure! 

I think no-one does. Some are just lucky.

I'm re-reading Ball's "Critical Mass" which has a lot of useful insights into why the system is anti-intuitive and why you can't model the system by extrapolating from the individual. But that's 17 years out of date, I'd like to find some more recent overview of the field.

It's mental. 

Try Flesh and Blood trading card game. Up 1500 to 2000% for first edition boxes.

And this is a game from New Zealand that's 2 years old and has only just arrived to the rest of the world a couple months ago.

It's gone crazy because people see Magic the Gathering and Pokemon and how original cards are now worth huge amounts. So small people buy some to save but then whales buyout all the stock and the price doubles overnight. Then more whales come in a higher prices to buy all the stock and then it doubles again. 

With crypto, the similar thing happened to XRP because Bitcoin has massively increased in value. So XRP was at $3 a coin a couple years ago. It then crash to nearly $0.10 earlier this year. Then people went crazy in October/November and it rose to $0.8 and people were saying it's going to shoot to the moon and be worth $10 by end of next year. It's now crashed again and is currently at $0.2.

But the common thing with everything today is that people think the only way to make money is essentially to get someone else to pay for it with their hard work - whether it is a house, shares, collectibles, etc...

Tesla shares. Up 700%

Crypto. Up 400%

UK houses up 15% is it?

Collectable cars, art, are they up?

Great isn't it, i own 50 Tesla shares, more than a handful of Bitcoin, and a £600k detached house, and and very rare UK Electric car, future classic, had all these since 2016 or before, and collected and the gainz in 2020. 

What a great year.

Roll on 2021. 

With crypto, the similar thing happened to XRP because Bitcoin has massively increased in value. So XRP was at $3 a coin a couple years ago. It then crash to nearly $0.10 earlier this year. Then people went crazy in October/November and it rose to $0.8 and people were saying it's going to shoot to the moon and be worth $10 by end of next year. It's now crashed again and is currently at $0.2.

People bought XRP because they cant do maths, and think in Bitcoin went from $0.10 to $28k , XRP can too. It wont, they forget/ignore/cant count that XRP there are 500 billion of them, BTC 21million only.  Plus XRP has crashes because Trump administration are trying to claim a quick win on Crypto for his legacy by "finally" making the SEC take Ripple to court charging them with trading XRP as an unregistered security. 

Altcoins are worthless rubbish. XRP was always a joke exit scam like all alts. 

anything quality in the modern world is going up.

classic cars, art, land, houses, gold, shares, collectibles, bitcoin, 

expectation of inflation leads to inflation, causes inflation. 

inflation is the perfect ‘get out’ of all the new debt loads, no-one sufferers who at this point deserve to suffer.

they made it clear we were going to have huge amounts of inflation, anyone heavy in cash right now deserves to be burnt, have you been asleep the last 5 years? Deflation is a pipe dream wishful thinking, it was always going to be inflation 

Tesla shares. Up 700%

Crypto. Up 400%

UK houses up 15% is it?

extreme liquidity looking for a home. it's even visible in consumer goods. money is ultimately being debased so purchases less.the very defenition of inflation.

going by kondratieff wave the powers that be have stimulated yet more "misallocation of capital" phase,when we should have been in the speculation of real resources phase(ie resource supply crunches,war etc etc).It will ultimately end in tears for those who:

1)do not hold a position in real resources

2)do not hold a position in a sector/company that cannot make better use of existing resources.

you can make a point for crypto/defi going great guns like 1990's nasdaq..My take on BTC right now is basically at the top of elliot wave iii of v,so due a correction,but will go higher after the correction...is also being used as arbitrage to restrict PM's progress......after that we get a big correction in crypto in favour of PM's(cup and handle in PM's is already forming waiting for the bunk-up....maybe by crypto exchange hacking ,internet outage or some other catalyst)

if it can be proven to save time/money making transactions,or stake a claim with patent apps etc(going from paper filled to real time tigital timestamp is a protector of IP,and for companies this is certainly a big moneyspinner)

inflation is the perfect ‘get out’ of all the new debt loads, no-one sufferers who at this point deserve to suffer.

they made it clear we were going to have huge amounts of inflation, anyone heavy in cash right now deserves to be burnt, have you been asleep the last 5 years? Deflation is a pipe dream wishful thinking, it was always going to be inflation 

hahaha!..altcoins may be 99% junk,but that theres also serious money to be made in junk!!   more so than BTC, and is hence subject to the greater fool speculation theories...taking money out of the "safe havens of digital gold", and into the prospect of the 1000+ bagger that joe public on the street can buy now for pennies,and will explode(most will implode of course,but the carrot of rags to riches is much akin to putting a tenner on the lottery euromillions super-jackpot in the hope you come up trumps-----you have of course discovered the winning strategy have you not!!...you've "invested" a few quid and got an easy 50%,and now you thik you're loadsamoney,fergus wilson,gordon gecko.....etc

junkbonds in the 1980's

.coms

subprime mortgages!!!

if this crap over the last year had really gone mad max, it would be those holding shares in sanitaiton, biotech, consumer healthcare(johnson+johnson etc),food production...and so on that really made the money....in light of recent events, ow can you justify that crypto has been more important than eating?

more growth potential in cashless transactions,and a small market, but I'll still take a turkey crown(festive pun) over saving a few days/quid sending christmas vouchers from here to relatives in oz.

...irish proverb: A SMITH AND WESSON BEATS FOUR ACES!

it's not making money though, it's TRANSFERRING money.

the transfer mechanism itself it currency debasement,and CAUSING distress on certain sectors for the big buys to go fishing and either consolidate their position, or take out/buy/acquire new upstarts with good ideas.

People bought XRP because they cant do maths, and think in Bitcoin went from $0.10 to $28k , XRP can too. It wont, they forget/ignore/cant count that XRP there are 500 billion of them, BTC 21million only.  Plus XRP has crashes because Trump administration are trying to claim a quick win on Crypto for his legacy by "finally" making the SEC take Ripple to court charging them with trading XRP as an unregistered security. 

people bought XRP beacuse it was supposed to be "the banker's choice" of global digital currency.

there is still a plan for a "bankers choice of global digital currency",,which will negate bitcoin,and very much involve PM's as the stabiliser benchmark...like I said before, china has not yet declared their real gold holdings.they have made overtures to special drawing rights as the ledger mechanism, but not yet dethroned the dollar.

how do they plan to dethrone the dollar??...is it through mass bond sell-off causing a currency crisis,or some other covert method??

will it be successful..yes,partially.

will they make USA into the hated pariah that nobody want to trade with....yes.

will they achive total domination...no..... US,canada,uk,aus,NZ will have one version of digital ledger, EU will have one, russia will have one, china will take the rest of the world.

I agree. Get out of fiat ASAP into whatever asset classes float your boat, be that Bitcoin, Gold, Whiskey...

Just act NOW!

Tesla shares. Up 700%

Crypto. Up 400%

UK houses up 15% is it?

Even fine wine is up.. Which given a lot of top restaurants where this is consumed (you want to show off etc) are shut is a little bizarre. 

Fine champagne up 10% doesn't even keep well. 

people bought XRP beacuse it was supposed to be "the banker's choice" of global digital currency.

there is still a plan for a "bankers choice of global digital currency",,which will negate bitcoin,

Rubbish. No government Crypto, backed by a bit of gold or not, will negate Bitcoin. They will always be FIAT, so will have inflation built in, and will be a "stablecoin" , so will have no store of value properties, they will still go down in value over time through inflation. 

What they will do is create a global stablecoin reserve currency for trade, Bretton woods 2.0,  a Crypto IMF SDR , made from a basket of currencies they can rebalance, USD, GBP, Euro, Yen, Swiss Franc, Cad doller, Russian Ruble, maybe others, for which every nations currency will be priced off, and Bitcoin too. This will kill the USA as they will no longer be able to export inflation and print at will, and will face "exchange rates" for oil and other staples they have never seen since Bretton woods. 

If you fook up your national currency with to much with mass printing you will be expelled from the new global reserve and quickly become a third world nation.  But as long as everyone sticks to the rules they can slowly inflate this new global for everyone equally to force inflation worldwide. 

Bitcoin will immune from this so will become "the" global store of value, assisting gold, but as the dominant partner.