House Price Crash Forum

Happiness > Consumerism

No sh1t Sherlock to the thread title.

Human beings evolved in an environment where getting enough to survive, let alone be comfortable, was a big struggle. It still is in many parts of the world. So we've evolved the instinct to always want more, and never to be satisfied - getting enough to be comfortable and not having to worry about it was so rare in most of our history that there simply wasn't any evolutionary pressure to develop a "that's enough" instinct. The end result is superyacht owners thinking they need a bigger superyacht to be happy.

Edited by Riedquat

It's a balancing act. 

If you have reached the "that's enough" stage, what incentive do you have to "improve" yourself? (And would it really be an improvement?)

For me persoanally, spatial and temporal affluence are really important. What's the point on having all those toys if you have no place to put them and no time to play with them? 

It's a balancing act. 

If you have reached the "that's enough" stage, what incentive do you have to "improve" yourself? (And would it really be an improvement?)

For me persoanally, spatial and temporal affluence are really important. What's the point on having all those toys if you have no place to put them and no time to play with them? 

I'd say that if you've reached "that's enough" then you're not improving yourself, you're wasting time and money trying to get more. But nothing ever is enough for most of us.

My personal hierarchy of needs at its simplest level goes - enough to not have to worry about the essentials, then pleasant company and pleasant surroundings. I'm not the most sociable person in the world so I'm biased towards the latter (and a miserable sod because every bit of "progress" pisses on it from my perspective). And whilst I like some toys they're not as important as pleasant company and surroundings to me. Time is an interesting balancing act I think. One of the biggest mistakes people make is trying to cram more in to time, so I think anyone who regularly thinks "I need more time! I need things to be faster so I can have more time to do X and Y" is really trying to fit too much in and will always be in that situation no matter how much faster things get (they'll try to cram even more in and get even more stressed). I really like time off work but putting your feet up and doing whatever you want also feels much more satisfying when it's a case of "Right, I've got what I need to do done, now I can enjoy myself." So that's why I think a balance is healthy, helps appreciation.

On 04/01/2021 at 14:17, Riedquat said:

No sh1t Sherlock to the thread title.

Human beings evolved in an environment where getting enough to survive, let alone be comfortable, was a big struggle. It still is in many parts of the world. So we've evolved the instinct to always want more, and never to be satisfied - getting enough to be comfortable and not having to worry about it was so rare in most of our history that there simply wasn't any evolutionary pressure to develop a "that's enough" instinct. The end result is superyacht owners thinking they need a bigger superyacht to be happy.

For some they require more than enough because enough is never good enough.....even more than enough is still not enough... still not happy or contented....because not got enough, enough said.

Wealth and riches might bring short bursts of pleasure, but joy is something different, no need for exuberance and glut to have that.;)

2 hours ago, winkie said:

For some they require more than enough because enough is never good enough.....even more than enough is still not enough... still not happy or contented....because not got enough, enough said.

Wealth and riches might bring short bursts of pleasure, but joy is something different, no need for exuberance and glut to have that.;)

Definitely, although I suppose if you're living in a typical bland, sterile, lifeless house in a typical bland, lifeless sterile estate in a typically bland, lifeless sterile town more stuff is about all you've got to try to distract you from that and the relentless march towards making everything more bland, lifeless and sterile.

1 hour ago, Riedquat said:

Definitely, although I suppose if you're living in a typical bland, sterile, lifeless house in a typical bland, lifeless sterile estate in a typically bland, lifeless sterile town more stuff is about all you've got to try to distract you from that and the relentless march towards making everything more bland, lifeless and sterile.

Yes, stuff and entertainment 24/7 helps keep people compliant and occupied?;)

23 minutes ago, winkie said:

Not joyful then?;)

Thought you'd have noticed by now!

Actually I'm pretty happy with my immediate personal situation, it's the wider bits that are still part of what we move through and live in every day that really get me down and draw my ire and contempt.

"Joyfull" is a relative term. 

Some people have the ability to keep themselves busy and entertained. Others go nuts staring at the walls and wondering what to do with themselves. 

"Bored people are boring" is what my grandmother told me back in the last century. I have never forgotten her words. 

8 hours ago, Odakyu-sen said:

"Joyfull" is a relative term. 

Some people have the ability to keep themselves busy and entertained. Others go nuts staring at the walls and wondering what to do with themselves. 

"Bored people are boring" is what my grandmother told me back in the last century. I have never forgotten her words. 

There's never any real excuse to be bored, at least when you're left to your own devices.