House Price Crash Forum

Salford council commits to biggest public housing programme since the 1960s

Salford council will build 417 affordable, 'good quality' and eco-friendly homes in the biggest public housing programme the city has seen since the 1960s.

Former school sites will be turned into community-led housing run by tenants, while the other schemes will belong to wholly council-owned company Dérive.

All the new homes, a mix of one to five-bedroom houses and apartments, will be low carbon, low energy units which will be built with a 'fabric first' approach.

The local authority will have to borrow up to £65m to finance the project – but it hopes that the housing programme will save the council cash in the future.

More...

LOL £65m is chicken feed compared to what we're borrowing as a country EVERY day and what was spent bailing out the banksters. 

Imagine if that money was spent on housing? Dear lord...  Pretty much everyone who wanted a home would have one...

So why don't they do it ?  😕

Salford council will build 417 affordable, 'good quality' and eco-friendly homes in the biggest public housing programme the city has seen since the 1960s.

Former school sites will be turned into community-led housing run by tenants, while the other schemes will belong to wholly council-owned company Dérive.

All the new homes, a mix of one to five-bedroom houses and apartments, will be low carbon, low energy units which will be built with a 'fabric first' approach.

The local authority will have to borrow up to £65m to finance the project – but it hopes that the housing programme will save the council cash in the future.

More...

LOL £65m is chicken feed compared to what we're borrowing as a country EVERY day and what was spent bailing out the banksters. 

Imagine if that money was spent on housing? Dear lord...  Pretty much everyone who wanted a home would have one...

So why don't they do it ?  😕

I think i read somewhere that we have a shortage of 2m houses. 

The average house costs about 100K-140K to build excluding the land. 2M x100K is 200BN. Add in the land and associated infrastructure and you'd double it to 400BN.

Back of ciggy pack calcs but yes we could approx have done this. However, building that many houses would lead to a shortage of labour and materials rising those costs.

Ultimately if you tell the tax payer you're borrowing that money to protect the nhs, keep them safe and give them an income until this is over you are buying votes. 

If you tell the tax payer you're borrowing that money to give people a house built on land near them to impair their property value, over develop the countryside and give 'that lot' a better housing standard than they've worked hard for and bought themselves it's buying votes for the opposition. 

No housing shortage in the UK, loads of empty houses in the northern England and NE, no one wants to live there as no jobs or future 

It's sad. I've always felt it got to be too big a problem once prices got to a life changing value. Feels like painted into a corner.

Money changes people, if you had a property worth £1.5m and a new development reduces the value negatively impacted your quality of life you can see how people would be upset, my solution would be more industrial development in small northern towns so they have well paying jobs

No housing shortage in the UK, loads of empty houses in the northern England and NE, no one wants to live there as no jobs or future 

Isn't Salford Northern England?  I would have thought there are plenty of empty properties in Salford or surrounding former mill towns.

The current government would rather pay peoples mortgages than build council houses.

Our whole society revolves around keeping the banking system leeching.  Fooking pathetic.

This.  They want to keep people in debt forever.   I think this is the main reason we don't build any more.

There is plenty of opportunity (brownfield sites etc) to build in Salford. The problem is getting people to live there. I say that as someone who has btw. 

The BBC relocated their news operation there so lots of jobs i would have thought? 

Anyway, what I suggest is we build homes all over the place. 

Edited by Warlord

Isn't Salford Northern England?  I would have thought there are plenty of empty properties in Salford or surrounding former mill towns.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2011/apr/06/bbc-staff-relocate-salford-not-grim

Despite the lure of relocation packages worth £45,600 (or 50% of a nice two-bedroom flat in Swinton, at current prices), less than half the BBC staff asked to relocate to the corporation's new facility at Media City, Salford, have agreed to move, while "faces" such as Bill Turnbull and Richard Bacon will rent and hotfoot it back to London every weekend. "I'm not going to steam in and buy a flat," Bacon told the Daily Mirror. "I don't even know Manchester very well."

Which is the problem. Not only do these BBC luvvies not know that Salford is a city in its own right – it neighbours, but is not part of, Manchester – but given the bad press that dogs the city, they will have no idea what it is actually like. Or what they're missing

Salfords-finest-Happy-Mon-007.jpg?width=

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2011/apr/06/bbc-staff-relocate-salford-not-grim

Despite the lure of relocation packages worth £45,600 (or 50% of a nice two-bedroom flat in Swinton, at current prices), less than half the BBC staff asked to relocate to the corporation's new facility at Media City, Salford, have agreed to move, while "faces" such as Bill Turnbull and Richard Bacon will rent and hotfoot it back to London every weekend. "I'm not going to steam in and buy a flat," Bacon told the Daily Mirror. "I don't even know Manchester very well."

Which is the problem. Not only do these BBC luvvies not know that Salford is a city in its own right – it neighbours, but is not part of, Manchester – but given the bad press that dogs the city, they will have no idea what it is actually like. Or what they're missing

Salfords-finest-Happy-Mon-007.jpg?width=

Manchester has a lot of city centre flats.. They're horrific and aren't faring too well from what I recall.

Edited by Warlord

The BBC relocated their news operation there so lots of jobs i would have thought? 

Most of the workers in Salford Quays who moved up from the south bought houses in the same few areas of Manchester: Didsbury, Chorlton, and Altrincham. The recent arrivals moved to Sale and Stockport. The Quays themselves are BTL-central and very few will buy around there. Not all of Salford is as bad as people make out. Yes, Pendleton and Langworthy are not nice but Monton, Worsely and (parts of) Eccles are decent enough. 

Manchester has a lot of city centre flats.. They're horrific and aren't faring too well from what I recall.

Instead of showing posters of aspirational families, as most of the London developments do, the new builds around Manc just show the rental yield in big bold text with no frills. The developers, to their credit, know only idiot southerners and overseas investors would touch them.