House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Numani

Halifax House Price Index

http://www.companyannouncements.net/cgi-bi...800061469Y.html

January fall - I thought that is usually a good month?

I think it's seasonally adjusted anyway?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4695982.stm

House price inflation unchanged

House price inflation was steady across the country last month, according to the latest survey from the Halifax.

Prices dropped slightly between December and January, the first monthly fall the UK's biggest mortgage lender has recorded since May last year.

Quite bearish, if you ask me.

the lender predicts that prices will slow down this year, rising only in line with general retail inflation.
Edited by karhu

This is the bit I like..From This is Money

"It's more bad news for the property market, the number of first time buyers dropped to their lowest level since 1980 during 2005 at 320,000.

Property in 85% of towns surveyed by the bank was unaffordable for the typical first time buyer. Halifax's pessimistic report contrasts sharply with the figures released by Nationwide, which showed that house prices jumped by 1.4% in January"

Before everyone wets their pants, the Halifax survey is seasonally adjusted. January is traditionally a slow month. Prices were probably fairly static.

Thanks Ianbe for pointing out my dur-brained error. Interesting stats as well, particularly in concert with the Nationwide ones a few days ago showing Q4 down on Q3.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4695982.stm

Quite bearish, if you ask me.

noteworthy points about that Beeb article:

1) they don't seem to have a link to yesterday's bearish report based on the Land Registry. However, they do have links to older, more bullish articles.

2) although the underlying results are fairly neutral, the language used is very bullish, lots of "rising" "increasing" and so on.

3) the graph suggests an interesting discrepancy between Halifax & Nationwide's methodologies... see how Nationwide's tend to volatility.

1 and 2 together suggest that there are competing agendas at the bbc and while there may be some balanced sub-eds, there are some VIs at work!

How about a poll: BBC guilty or not guilty of bias in their reporting on the property market? Hopefully more than just 200 will respond and the results can be sent to the BBC.